Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Nils Kassube

Default Virtualbox: after install, trying to restart it, having two problems

Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> 1) When looking at my virtual "general" definitions, I get this
> message:
>
> Failed to access the USB subsystem.

As root add a line

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=plugdev,devmode=664 0 0

to the file "/etc/fstab". Then run the command

sudo mount -a

in a terminal.

But be careful, don't give your guest system access to any devices which
are needed / in use by the host, like mouse, keyboard, USB-stick. From
the moment you enable the guest access, the host can't see them any
longer.

Nils

Old 05-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>
>> 1) When looking at my virtual "general" definitions, I get this
>> message:
>>
>> Failed to access the USB subsystem.
>>

> As root add a line
>
> none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=plugdev,devmode=664 0 0
>
> to the file "/etc/fstab". Then run the command
>
> sudo mount -a
>
> in a terminal.
>
> But be careful, don't give your guest system access to any devices which
> are needed / in use by the host, like mouse, keyboard, USB-stick. From
> the moment you enable the guest access, the host can't see them any
> longer.

Thanks, Nils. I'll give that a try this morning.

--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man.