Old 05-09-2008, 06:24 AM
nagoor kani

Default help needed

When booting,it shows the following error many times and stuck at this line
'/etc/init.d/rc: 2: sed: Input/Output error.The system is n't functioning .

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Luca Ferrari

On Friday 9 May 2008 nagoor kani's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
> When booting,it shows the following error many times and stuck at this line
> '/etc/init.d/rc: 2: sed: Input/Output error.The system is n't functioning .

Maybe you have a filesystem mounted thru NFS or any remote host? Or something
that depends on an usb key or similar? Or maybe it is just a "simple"
hardware problem with your hard drive?

Luca

Old 10-29-2008, 04:54 PM
"Dr. Basavraj Kadalage"

Dear friends,
I was previously using Vista Ultimate edition and have just installed UBUNTU 8.04 edition. I had installed it from windows vista.
Whenever I am restarting the comp... first time UBUNTU loaded but now insted of opening the UBUNTU OS, system gets stuck at some DOS prompt which shows "INITRAMFS"
Also in the UBUNTU i am not able to use Wi-Fi, Bluetooth nor I can connect USB hard disks and Pen Drives.
Kindly guide me as I am very new to this "Linux" and wanted to know more about it. I am also fed up with windows so wanted to say a fine "good bye" to microsoft. Can u help me with these issues?

Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT from any browser, without download. Go to http://in.webmessenger.yahoo.com/

Old 10-29-2008, 05:16 PM
"Mark Haney"

Dr. Basavraj Kadalage wrote:
> Dear friends,
> I was previously using Vista Ultimate edition and have just installed UBUNTU 8.04 edition. I had installed it from windows vista.
> Whenever I am restarting the comp... first time UBUNTU loaded but now insted of opening the UBUNTU OS, system gets stuck at some DOS prompt which shows "INITRAMFS"
> Also in the UBUNTU i am not able to use Wi-Fi, Bluetooth nor I can connect USB hard disks and Pen Drives.
> Kindly guide me as I am very new to this "Linux" and wanted to know more about it. I am also fed up with windows so wanted to say a fine "good bye" to microsoft. Can u help me with these issues?

Okay, one thing at a time. It's not a DOS prompt, not really. Close
enough I suppose. The problem sounds like your INITRD image isn't
right. But without more debug info, I can't be sure.

Did you try running Ubuntu on your system with a LiveCD(or DVD) before
you installed it?

All of those thing you list as not working certainly do work in linux,
and most of them (the USB devices definitely) should 'just work'.
Wireless and Bluetooth are always a little flaky to configure.

If you can boot a rescue CD and post to us output of lspci and dmesg
that would be really helpful.

However, even before that, if you're new to Linux, you might want to
take things very slow before dropping M$ completely. While the
transition is getting better, it's still not for the 'n00bs'. A lot of
people tend to jump in to the linux thing whole hog, get frustrated when
it doesn't do things the way Windows does it, and drops it like a hot
potato.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 PM
John Heinen

Mark Haney wrote:
> Dr. Basavraj Kadalage wrote:
>
>> Dear friends,
>> I was previously using Vista Ultimate edition and have just installed UBUNTU 8.04 edition. I had installed it from windows vista.
>> Whenever I am restarting the comp... first time UBUNTU loaded but now insted of opening the UBUNTU OS, system gets stuck at some DOS prompt which shows "INITRAMFS"
>> Also in the UBUNTU i am not able to use Wi-Fi, Bluetooth nor I can connect USB hard disks and Pen Drives.
>> Kindly guide me as I am very new to this "Linux" and wanted to know more about it. I am also fed up with windows so wanted to say a fine "good bye" to microsoft. Can u help me with these issues?
>>

> Okay, one thing at a time. It's not a DOS prompt, not really. Close
> enough I suppose. The problem sounds like your INITRD image isn't
> right. But without more debug info, I can't be sure.
>
> Did you try running Ubuntu on your system with a LiveCD(or DVD) before
> you installed it?
>
> All of those thing you list as not working certainly do work in linux,
> and most of them (the USB devices definitely) should 'just work'.
> Wireless and Bluetooth are always a little flaky to configure.
>
> If you can boot a rescue CD and post to us output of lspci and dmesg
> that would be really helpful.
>
> However, even before that, if you're new to Linux, you might want to
> take things very slow before dropping M$ completely. While the
> transition is getting better, it's still not for the 'n00bs'. A lot of
> people tend to jump in to the linux thing whole hog, get frustrated when
> it doesn't do things the way Windows does it, and drops it like a hot
> potato.

Lucter et em ergo..........ik worstel en ontzwem..........I wrestled and
made it.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:12 PM
"Mark Haney"

John Heinen wrote:

> Lucter et em ergo..........ik worstel en ontzwem..........I wrestled and
> made it.

Did you have a point? Or is this yet another waste of my bandwidth?

Old 10-29-2008, 07:33 PM
en0f

Mark Haney wrote:
> John Heinen wrote:
>

>> Lucter et em ergo..........ik worstel en ontzwem..........I wrestled and
>> made it.
>>

> Did you have a point? Or is this yet another waste of my bandwidth?

I reckon it was the latter. =:P)

--
en0f

Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Derek Broughton

Mark Haney wrote:

> All of those thing you list as not working certainly do work in linux,
> and most of them (the USB devices definitely) should 'just work'.
> Wireless and Bluetooth are always a little flaky to configure.

"often", not "always" :-) The wife's atheros wireless was recognized and
worked out of the box. Most of my other wireless cards have required a
_little_ work, and one required a lot.

--
derek

Old 11-21-2008, 07:23 AM
"lakshmi pathi"

Hi,
My ext3 undelete tool works well with Redhat/Fedora/Ubuntu.
I would like to get feedback on it on debian distro.
(Are you able to install the tool? Whether it is working ? etc...)

The undelete tool can downloaded from here
www.giis.co.in

or from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/giis

Please send me exact error message you are receiving along with you
/etc/fstab file.
Thanks in advance

--
Cheers,
Lakshmipathi.G

Old 01-18-2009, 12:53 AM
"s. keeling"

lakshmi pathi <lakshmipathi.g@gmail.com>:

> My ext3 undelete tool works well with Redhat/Fedora/Ubuntu.
> I would like to get feedback on it on debian distro.
> (Are you able to install the tool? Whether it is working ? etc...)

Why not just download and burn Debian LiveCD and try it yourself?