Old 05-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Rick

Default Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin

What is required to install the *Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin*?

I tried the xpi install and it said it didn't work. Is this Ubuntu 8.04
or Firefox3?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

/**/

/**/

--
This comes to you from Deep-Thought VII: Rick's digital office,
classroom and entertainment center

Old 05-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Clayton

> What is required to install the *Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin*?
>
> I tried the xpi install and it said it didn't work. Is this Ubuntu 8.04
> or Firefox3?

It is neither.... Windows Media Player is required for the Windows
Media Player plugin. Since you are using Linux, you are not likely to
have Windows Media Player installed.

If you want to play streaming video, you probably want something like
MPlayer and mplayerplugin from the Ubuntu repositories.

C.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Rick

Clayton wrote:

>> What is required to install the *Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin*?
>>
>> I tried the xpi install and it said it didn't work. Is this Ubuntu 8.04
>> or Firefox3?
>>

> It is neither.... Windows Media Player is required for the Windows
> Media Player plugin. Since you are using Linux, you are not likely to
> have Windows Media Player installed.
>
> If you want to play streaming video, you probably want something like
> MPlayer and mplayerplugin from the Ubuntu repositories.
>
> C.

That did it. Many thanks. I must admit I thought it rather strange that
the France24 page asked me to install the MS Media Player plug-in.

Rick

Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/9 Rick <rufus@hanadari.net>:
> That did it. Many thanks. I must admit I thought it rather strange that
> the France24 page asked me to install the MS Media Player plug-in.

Write to them. Tell them that not everyone uses Windows. Let them know
about your solution, so that they can post it along with the
Windows-only solution.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Clayton

>> If you want to play streaming video, you probably want something like
>> MPlayer and mplayerplugin from the Ubuntu repositories.
>>

> That did it. Many thanks. I must admit I thought it rather strange that
> the France24 page asked me to install the MS Media Player plug-in.

As Dotan mentioned... they just assume that Windows is the only
operating system on the planet. They not only forget a rapidly
growing Linux population, but also the fast growing OSX user group as
well.

The biggest fear these people seem to have is that they might have to
support Linux or Linux problems.... or they assume that Linux is
command line only - you would not believe how many people I STILL bump
into that think Linux is command line only and thus not capable of
playing streaming video.

A polite and thoughtful letter to the webmaster or feedback at the
website with a short clear explanation of how their website works in
Linux is sometimes well received, and they will often work to improve
their website. If you do respond to them, be sure to be polite and
not fanatical... just simple, clear and concise... tell them what
version of Linux, and what application can be used to support/view/use
their services... in this case MPlayer and mplayerplugin.

C.