Old 05-09-2008, 04:33 AM
"John Baker"

Default HELP HELP HELP....

FOLKS PLEASE! I am up to my neck in alligators!!
I want so very badly to learn Linux and UNIX that I am learning it badly!!!!
point me in the right direction PLEASE!!!! I will return the favor when
someone else wanders into a pit of despair and begs for directions.
some of you will probably lead me in the WRONG direction but even that would
help as a direction
Thanks A Million
John aka
dirtyirish

It has removed 3534 spam emails to date.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Ed Greshko

John Baker wrote:
> FOLKS PLEASE! I am up to my neck in alligators!!
> I want so very badly to learn Linux and UNIX that I am learning it badly!!!!
> point me in the right direction PLEASE!!!! I will return the favor when
> someone else wanders into a pit of despair and begs for directions.
> some of you will probably lead me in the WRONG direction but even that would
> help as a direction
> Thanks A Million

What exactly are you expecting? You looking for book suggestions?

Old 05-09-2008, 04:42 AM
Dubh Aingeal

John Baker wrote:
> FOLKS PLEASE! I am up to my neck in alligators!!
> I want so very badly to learn Linux and UNIX that I am learning it badly!!!!
> point me in the right direction PLEASE!!!! I will return the favor when
> someone else wanders into a pit of despair and begs for directions.
> some of you will probably lead me in the WRONG direction but even that would
> help as a direction
> Thanks A Million
> John aka
> dirtyirish

Here are some links that might be of help:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/index.html
http://www.tuxfiles.org/
http://ubuntulinuxhelp.com/

Old 05-09-2008, 05:00 AM
"Sandy Harris"

John Baker <dirtyi@verizon.net> wrote:

> FOLKS PLEASE! I am up to my neck in alligators!!
> I want so very badly to learn Linux and UNIX that I am learning it badly!!!!
> point me in the right direction PLEASE!!!! ...

One good starting point is:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals-HOWTO.html

Kernighan and Plauger "Software Tools in Pascal" is somewhat dated,
but still a good introduction to the Unix design approach.

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China

Old 05-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Peter Garrett

On Thu, 8 May 2008 23:33:21 -0500
"John Baker" <dirtyi@verizon.net> wrote:

> FOLKS PLEASE! I am up to my neck in alligators!!
> I want so very badly to learn Linux and UNIX that I am learning it badly!!!!
> point me in the right direction PLEASE!!!!

Go here:
http://inx.maincontent.net

Look here at the slideshow
(Warning: this is all console and command line!):

http://inx.maincontent.net/album/1.png.html

Download the CD here:
http://inx.maincontent.net/download.html

Burn it to a disc as explained here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Check that your BIOS boots from CD before hard drive, then boot the CD.

Explore. *Make sure you follow the tutorials.*

Obvious disclaimer: I wrote most of it.
Excuse: The CD is aimed at people who want to learn and get a
CLUE ( Command Line User Experience)

*smile*

You will learn how to find the process producing the alligators,
and kill it ;-)

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 05-09-2008, 05:36 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 23:33 -0500, John Baker wrote:
> FOLKS PLEASE! I am up to my neck in alligators!!
> I want so very badly to learn Linux and UNIX that I am learning it badly!!!!
> point me in the right direction PLEASE!!!!

John, I already answered your question in detail in another thread:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-April/144432.html

Old 05-09-2008, 04:04 PM
"John Baker"

Thank You Mario;
I have been so inundated with things that I cannot master yet,that I
have overlooked some I will copy and paste and start from there
John

It has removed 3548 spam emails to date.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:09 PM
"John Baker"

Oh Yeah,I remember that helpful email,I must apologize to all who feel I
have "HighJacked" (I do NOT know how I did it,but obviously have) until I
know what I am doing this will be the last ok?
thanks for the input
John
Irish by God
U.S.Marine by choice
OOH-RAH

Old 05-09-2008, 04:13 PM
"John Baker"

Thanks for the reply but I believe I have been helped on my miscues and will
correct
Thanks
John
Irish by God
U.S.Marine by choice
OOH-RAH

Old 05-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 11:09 -0500, John Baker wrote:
> Oh Yeah,I remember that helpful email,I must apologize to all who feel
> I have "HighJacked" (I do NOT know how I did it,but obviously have)

It seems from your email header that you are using Outlook Express. I
have never seen this application, but I think I have heard that it does
not support threading. That is, you likely just see a flat list of
emails, instead of having them grouped and indented by threads,
basically in the way you see it here:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-May/thread.html

Then you probably replied to some email and just changed the subject.
However, threading mail readers (like most people here use) still group
this email of yours with the thread you replied to, because the
threading does not depend on the subject but on a special mail header
that indicates where it belongs to.

To start a new thread, simply send a new email to