Old 11-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Jonathan Hirschman

Default Multi-NIC and Multi-ISP configuration (aggregation)

Phyo W. Soe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about network link aggregation. I know similar
> questions have been asked by others in the past but I haven't found any
> solution after many days of searching on the web.
>

> At first, I thought bonding is the solution. I later realized that, to
> create a bonding interface, one has to enter the IP address and gateway
> for the bonded interface. In my case, there are 2 gateways (from 2 ISPs)
> and 2 different IP addresses from each of the ISP and I don't think
> bonding will work.

No, you cannot do bonding if you're using multiple ISPs. However, some
ISPs outside of the US are using ADSL2's bonding feature to do exactly
what you want. In that case, they use special hardware at their end, and
give you a special router - and it all just looks like one connection to
your machine. This may be a good option for you outside of the US.

> Is there any other way of doing link aggregation? (I saw some tutorials
> on bonding PPPoE using internal ADSL modems but I don't have any
> internal modems)

See this: http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html. It is
non-trivial; I have yet to find a nice 'end-user' way to enjoy multiple
ISP connections.

jh

Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 PM
"Victor Padro"

Hello there,

some months ago I was trying to acomplish that task that you have, but I decided to quit and to look foward to Pfsense for 6 months now, which I don't have a complain, I'm using Dual WAN setup with a load-balancer, and believe me it worths trying...check it out:
www.pfsense.org

see ya.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Jonathan Hirschman

Victor Padro wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> some months ago I was trying to acomplish that task that you have, but
> I decided to quit and to look foward to Pfsense for 6 months now,
> which I don't have a complain, I'm using Dual WAN setup with a
> load-balancer, and believe me it worths trying...check it out:
> www.pfsense.org <http://www.pfsense.org>
>
> see ya.
>

> On Nov 29, 2007 11:46 AM, Jonathan Hirschman <jonathan@hirschman.net
> <mailto:jonathan@hirschman.net>> wrote:
>
> Phyo W. Soe wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a question about network link aggregation. I know similar
> > questions have been asked by others in the past but I haven't
> found any
> > solution after many days of searching on the web.

Pfsense has one weakness - it cannot do FTP with multiple WAN
connections. Otherwise, it is a very interesting bit of software. FYI.

jh

Old 11-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Owen Townend

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 18:16 -0600, Victor Padro wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> some months ago I was trying to acomplish that task that you have, but
> I decided to quit and to look foward to Pfsense for 6 months now,
> which I don't have a complain, I'm using Dual WAN setup with a
> load-balancer, and believe me it worths trying...check it out:
> www.pfsense.org
>
> see ya.

Owen.
Cheers,

read.
annoying
it's
post
top
Don't

Victor,

[snip]

Old 11-30-2007, 01:21 AM
"Victor Padro"

Well, don't then

On Nov 29, 2007 6:38 PM, Owen Townend <bowbowbow@optushome.com.au> wrote:

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 18:16 -0600, Victor Padro wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> some months ago I was trying to acomplish that task that you have, but
> I decided to quit and to look foward to Pfsense for 6 months now,

> which I don't have a complain, I'm using Dual WAN setup with a
> load-balancer, and believe me it worths trying...check it out:
> www.pfsense.org

> see ya.

Owen.

Cheers,

read.
annoying
it's
post
top
Don't

Victor,

[snip]

Well, don't then...
*

Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Derek Broughton

Victor Padro wrote:

> Well, don't then

I won't.

It's pretty damned rude to deliberately post in a way that upsets people.

<plonk>
--
derek

Old 12-01-2007, 12:02 AM
"Victor Padro"

On Nov 30, 2007 6:24 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Victor Padro wrote:

> Well, don't then

I won't.

It's pretty damned rude to deliberately post in a way that upsets people.

I agree that...
*

<plonk>
--