Old 05-09-2008, 03:13 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

Default Virtualbox: after install, trying to restart it, having two problems

I finally got Virtualbox going on top of Hardy Heron. Woo hoo. But two
problems have come up since yesterday when I test drove it. I am
running an AMD 64+ using the 32 bit i386 version of 8.04. The chipset
is NVidia. I have no issues with the video and LAN cards.

1) When looking at my virtual "general" definitions, I get this message:

Failed to access the USB subsystem.

Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The
service might be not installed on the host computer.

Result Code:
0x00004005
Component:
Host
Interface:
IHost {81729c26-1aec-46f5-b7c0-cc7364738fdb}
Callee:
IMachine {f95c0793-7737-49a1-85d9-6da81097173b}

Any thoughts on how I get Ubuntu to recognize my USB devices so it can
then pass them on to the WinXP virtual?

2) I have a "black screen of zilch" failure on start up (which may
really be a "blue screen of death AFAIK). Is there some sort of
recovery tool or have I somehow shot myself in the head and will need to
start from scratch with a new virtual. I hadn't done smart things like
take a snapshot since I had only installed a couple of apps.
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man.