Old 05-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Avi Schwartz

Default Shutdown/restart don't work from X

For some reason shutdown/restart/log out don't work from X. All X based
application are terminated and I am left with what looks like the root
window displaying the Heron background. To shutdown I need to switch to
a virtual terminal and shutdown from there as root. I can also restart
gdm and then get back the GUI login screen.

Any idea how to fix this (I think) gdm problem?

Avi

Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 PM
NoOp

On 05/08/2008 06:58 PM, Avi Schwartz wrote:
> For some reason shutdown/restart/log out don't work from X. All X based
> application are terminated and I am left with what looks like the root
> window displaying the Heron background. To shutdown I need to switch to
> a virtual terminal and shutdown from there as root. I can also restart
> gdm and then get back the GUI login screen.
>
> Any idea how to fix this (I think) gdm problem?
>
> Avi

This worked for me on my old Clevo (350Mhz):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/119308
See:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/119308/comments/36>

And filed for hardy:

Old 05-09-2008, 11:20 PM
NoOp

On 05/09/2008 01:13 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/08/2008 06:58 PM, Avi Schwartz wrote:
>> For some reason shutdown/restart/log out don't work from X. All X based
>> application are terminated and I am left with what looks like the root
>> window displaying the Heron background. To shutdown I need to switch to
>> a virtual terminal and shutdown from there as root. I can also restart
>> gdm and then get back the GUI login screen.
>>
>> Any idea how to fix this (I think) gdm problem?
>>
>> Avi
>>

> This worked for me on my old Clevo (350Mhz):
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/119308
> See:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/119308/comments/36>
>
> And filed for hardy:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/181892

Added note: Do sudo gedit /etc/modules. Add the following line, then save:
apm power_off=1

worked for me. I didn't have to add anything to the menu.lst option.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Avi Schwartz

NoOp wrote:

> On 05/08/2008 06:58 PM, Avi Schwartz wrote:
>
>> For some reason shutdown/restart/log out don't work from X. All X based
>> application are terminated and I am left with what looks like the root
>> window displaying the Heron background. To shutdown I need to switch to
>> a virtual terminal and shutdown from there as root. I can also restart
>> gdm and then get back the GUI login screen.
>>
>> Any idea how to fix this (I think) gdm problem?
>>
>> Avi
>>

> This worked for me on my old Clevo (350Mhz):
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/119308
> See:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/119308/comments/36>
>
> And filed for hardy:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/181892

I don't think this is the same problem. My machine shuts down fine *if*
I execute "shutdown -h now" from a terminal. It seems the problem is
more with gdm not terminating and stopping the shutdown process.

I have filed a bug about this problem:

Avi