Old 05-08-2008, 04:00 AM
NoOp

Default Alternate CD Rescue Mode

Anyone know of a good reference for using the Alternate CD Rescue Mode
(preferably Gutsy & Hardy). I know that there are powerful utilities
there, but I'd like to find a howto guide for all of the menu's etc.

I've managed to muddle through the menus... but then again I have a few
spare systems that I can afford to break to the core if need be. I'm
really looking for a solid howto that shows how to use the utilities to
actually "rescue" a broken system without screwing up and losing all the
data or reformating everything -- both for my reference, and for
pointing other folks to.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Karl Larsen

NoOp wrote:
> Anyone know of a good reference for using the Alternate CD Rescue Mode
> (preferably Gutsy & Hardy). I know that there are powerful utilities
> there, but I'd like to find a howto guide for all of the menu's etc.
>
> I've managed to muddle through the menus... but then again I have a few
> spare systems that I can afford to break to the core if need be. I'm
> really looking for a solid howto that shows how to use the utilities to
> actually "rescue" a broken system without screwing up and losing all the
> data or reformating everything -- both for my reference, and for
> pointing other folks to.

I have not seen such a document, but it is certain that a LiveCD of
Gutsy and Hardy makes a fine Emergency Disk. A fine instruction on using
this Emergency Disk does not exist. I have some stuff I wrote to myself
on this. It is available.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-08-2008, 04:23 PM
NoOp

On 05/08/2008 05:51 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> Anyone know of a good reference for using the Alternate CD Rescue Mode
>> (preferably Gutsy & Hardy). I know that there are powerful utilities
>> there, but I'd like to find a howto guide for all of the menu's etc.
>>
>> I've managed to muddle through the menus... but then again I have a few
>> spare systems that I can afford to break to the core if need be. I'm
>> really looking for a solid howto that shows how to use the utilities to
>> actually "rescue" a broken system without screwing up and losing all the
>> data or reformating everything -- both for my reference, and for
>> pointing other folks to.
>>

> I have not seen such a document, but it is certain that a LiveCD of
> Gutsy and Hardy makes a fine Emergency Disk. A fine instruction on using
> this Emergency Disk does not exist. I have some stuff I wrote to myself
> on this. It is available.
>
> Karl

There should be one for the LiveCD as well.

However, the LiveCD will not work on many systems, particularly older
ones with limited memory & CPU power. Plus, I think the Alternate CD has
additional utilities on it that the LiveCD does not - I've not compared
as I don't use the LiveCD, and use Knoppix instead if a LiveCD is needed.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Karl Larsen

NoOp wrote:
> On 05/08/2008 05:51 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know of a good reference for using the Alternate CD Rescue Mode
>>> (preferably Gutsy & Hardy). I know that there are powerful utilities
>>> there, but I'd like to find a howto guide for all of the menu's etc.
>>>
>>> I've managed to muddle through the menus... but then again I have a few
>>> spare systems that I can afford to break to the core if need be. I'm
>>> really looking for a solid howto that shows how to use the utilities to
>>> actually "rescue" a broken system without screwing up and losing all the
>>> data or reformating everything -- both for my reference, and for
>>> pointing other folks to.
>>>

>> I have not seen such a document, but it is certain that a LiveCD of
>> Gutsy and Hardy makes a fine Emergency Disk. A fine instruction on using
>> this Emergency Disk does not exist. I have some stuff I wrote to myself
>> on this. It is available.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> There should be one for the LiveCD as well.
>
> However, the LiveCD will not work on many systems, particularly older
> ones with limited memory & CPU power. Plus, I think the Alternate CD has
> additional utilities on it that the LiveCD does not - I've not compared
> as I don't use the LiveCD, and use Knoppix instead if a LiveCD is needed.

Your point I think is the Alternate CD has additional utilities the
Live CD does not have. I would like to know what they are.

The LiveCD provides a root terminal with grub and fdisk and mount is
available. You can mount the problem system on the LiveCD and do your
things like re-write a menu.lst or change /etc/X11/xorg.conf to suit
new conditions.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-08-2008, 09:33 PM
michael crane

Karl Larsen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> I have not seen such a document, but it is certain that a LiveCD of
>>> Gutsy and Hardy makes a fine Emergency Disk. A fine instruction on using
>>> this Emergency Disk does not exist. I have some stuff I wrote to myself
>>> on this. It is available.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> There should be one for the LiveCD as well.
>>
>> However, the LiveCD will not work on many systems, particularly older
>> ones with limited memory & CPU power. Plus, I think the Alternate CD has
>> additional utilities on it that the LiveCD does not - I've not compared
>> as I don't use the LiveCD, and use Knoppix instead if a LiveCD is needed.
>>
> Your point I think is the Alternate CD has additional utilities the
> Live CD does not have. I would like to know what they are.
>
> The LiveCD provides a root terminal with grub and fdisk and mount is
> available. You can mount the problem system on the LiveCD and do your
> things like re-write a menu.lst or change /etc/X11/xorg.conf to suit
> new conditions.
>
> Karl

Oddly when I recently had to install twice. The first time I did not
realize that the firewall was set to accept everything by default. but
my point is that the first time when I installed from the alternate CD (
because the other CD failed at installing software ) ( hp kayak xm600)
with internet access I could not get X to work and had to get the nvidia
driver.
The second time I did not connect to the net and installed just from the
alternate CD and X worked ?

mick

Old 05-10-2008, 11:51 PM
NoOp

For some odd reason, the original was removed from the gmane server. The
subthreads remain, but not this one. So this is a repost - sorry for the
duplicate.