Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Anthony Gardner

Default Evolution 2.22.1: Unable to see hidden fields when importing

I have been following these instructions to get Outlook into Evolution with 100% success importing in to Thunderbird, but no luck with Evolution on Hardy.

http://www.howtoforge.com/importing_outlook_express_into_thunderbird_evoluti on_p3

My girlfriend has Evolution 2.22.1 on Hardy and I have 2.12.1 on Gutsy. The problem we have is, she can't see the .directories (hidden directories) when trying to import despite setting 'Show Hidden Files' in the File Browser preferences. I can see the hidden files with 2.12.1 and I can confirm that they do not show up on Hardy coz my sister has it and I can see they are missing.

The hidden files show up in the File Browser on Hardy, though.

Does anyone know what might have changed or how I can complete the instructions I've been following?

CIA

-Ants

Disclaimer: Technically speaking, I'm
always wrong!!

Yahoo! For Good. Give and get cool things for free, reduce waste and help our planet. Plus find

hidden Yahoo! treasure

Old 05-08-2008, 12:17 AM
NoOp

On 05/07/2008 04:25 PM, Anthony Gardner wrote:
> I have been following these instructions to get Outlook into Evolution with 100%
> success importing in to Thunderbird, but no luck with Evolution on Hardy.
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/importing_outlook_express_into_thunderbird_evoluti on_p3
>
> My girlfriend has Evolution 2.22.1 on Hardy and I have 2.12.1 on Gutsy. The
> problem we have is, she can't see the .directories (hidden directories) when
> trying to import despite setting 'Show Hidden Files' in the File Browser
> preferences. I can see the hidden files with 2.12.1 and I can confirm that they
> do not show up on Hardy coz my sister has it and I can see they are missing.
>
> The hidden files show up in the File Browser on Hardy, though.
>
> Does anyone know what might have changed or how I can complete the instructions
> I've been following?

Works for me on Hardy + Evo 2.22.1.1. Plus Ctrl-H turns off/on the
hidden files with no problem.

Did you complete the part about:

====
Open a file browser and go to Edit > Preferences. On the Views tab of
the File Management Preferences window that pops up, select Show hidden
and backup files:
====

Old 05-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 17:17 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> Works for me on Hardy + Evo 2.22.1.1. Plus Ctrl-H turns off/on the
> hidden files with no problem.
>
> Did you complete the part about:
>
> ====
> Open a file browser and go to Edit > Preferences. On the Views tab of
> the File Management Preferences window that pops up, select Show
> hidden
> and backup files:
> ====

You are talking about Nautilus. He is talking about Evolution.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 07:18 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> You are talking about Nautilus. He is talking about Evolution.

Um, I was confused. It's early, ignore me, thanks

Old 05-08-2008, 05:33 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 23:25 +0000, Anthony Gardner wrote:

> My girlfriend has Evolution 2.22.1 on Hardy and I have 2.12.1 on
> Gutsy. The problem we have is, she can't see the .directories (hidden
> directories) when trying to import despite setting 'Show Hidden Files'
> in the File Browser preferences. I can see the hidden files with
> 2.12.1 and I can confirm that they do not show up on Hardy coz my
> sister has it and I can see they are missing.
>
> The hidden files show up in the File Browser on Hardy, though.

Like NoOp, I can confirm that this works for me in Hardy.

What happens if you start the import in Evo and then enable hidden files
by rightclicking the list of files in the File Open dialog? There should
be a context menu entry "Show hidden files". Does that work?

You can also (again in the File Open dialog) enter ".", or ".mozilla" in
the "Location" text entry field. This should show you a menu with all
files/directories starting with a dot or ".mozilla", repsectively

Old 05-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Anthony Gardner

yes, there is. thx for that.

If you yourself and NoOp are saying that if you enable 'Show Hidden Fields' in the File Browser and then go in to import and open the file dialogue you can see the hidden files, then it's strange we see different things.

Thx for that, lads

-Ants

Disclaimer: Technically, I'm always wrong!!

> My girlfriend has Evolution 2.22.1 on Hardy and I have 2.12.1 on
> Gutsy. The problem we have is, she can't see the .directories (hidden
> directories) when trying to import despite setting 'Show Hidden
Files'
> in the File Browser preferences. I can see the hidden files with
> 2.12.1 and I can confirm that they do not show up on Hardy coz my
> sister has it and I can see they are missing.
>
> The hidden files show up in the File Browser on Hardy, though.

Like NoOp, I can confirm that this works for me in Hardy.

What happens if you start the import in Evo and then enable hidden files
by rightclicking the list of files in the File Open dialog? There should
be a context menu entry "Show hidden files". Does that work?

You can also (again in the File Open dialog) enter ".", or
".mozilla" in
the "Location" text entry
field. This should show you a menu with all
files/directories starting with a dot or ".mozilla", repsectively

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 07:14 +0000, Anthony Gardner wrote:
> If you yourself and NoOp are saying that if you enable 'Show Hidden
> Fields' in the File Browser and then go in to import and open the file
> dialogue you can see the hidden files, then it's strange we see
> different things.

No, that's not what I did. I opened menu System > Preferences > File
Management. And _there I enabled "Show hidden and backup files". Then
the Evolution import showed me the hidden files, too.

However, if I go to menu View of an arbitrary file manager window and
enable "Show hidden files" _there, then the Evo import does not show me
the hidden files.

This seems to be because the setting in System Preferences is valid for
all file management windows/dialogs, while the item in the View menu of
a particular file manager window is valid only for this window and any
new windows opened from this window. E.g., I open Places > Home, enable
View > Hidden. Then I open Places > Desktop, and I don't see hidden
files there.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Anthony Gardner

Okay, then AFAIK, that's changed from* Gutsy -> Hardy.

Anyway, thx for getting back to me

--
ubuntu-users mailing
list

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:35 PM
NoOp

On 05/08/2008 12:14 AM, Anthony Gardner wrote:
> yes, there is. thx for that.
>
> If you yourself and NoOp are saying that if you enable 'Show Hidden Fields' in
> the File Browser and then go in to import and open the file dialogue you can see
> the hidden files, then it's strange we see different things.

What happens if you do 'Ctrl-h'? Do they show up then?