Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 PM
"Francisco Borges"

Default "dirty writeback" frequency to save power

Hello,

If I use powertop, it will often advise me to increase the dirty
writeback frequency in order to save power. I normally do that with:

echo 1500 >! /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs

However, this is reset with every reboot. Does anyone knows how to
configure this value?

I couldn't find anything about it in the laptop-mode.conf man page.

thanks in advance for any help,
--
Francisco

Old 05-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Nils Kassube

Francisco Borges wrote:
> If I use powertop, it will often advise me to increase the dirty
> writeback frequency in order to save power. I normally do that with:
>
> echo 1500 >! /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
>
> However, this is reset with every reboot. Does anyone knows how to
> configure this value?

You could put the command above in the file /etc/rc.local (before
the "exit 0" line) to run it at every boot. But I don't know if it would
survive suspend.

Nils

Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 PM
"Flavio Costa"

Maybe if you insert 'sys.vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 1500' in '/etc/sysctl.conf' you can obtain the result you want.
The value will not change as soon as you save the file you can either reboot your machine or execute this command 'sysctl -p'

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

Francisco Borges wrote:

> If I use powertop, it will often advise me to increase the dirty

> writeback frequency in order to save power. I normally do that with:

> echo 1500 >! /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs

> However, this is reset with every reboot. Does anyone knows how to

> configure this value?

You could put the command above in the file /etc/rc.local (before

the "exit 0" line) to run it at every boot. But I don't know if it would

survive suspend.

Nils

Flávio Coutinho da Costa

Old 05-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Lea Gris

Flavio Costa a écrit :
Maybe if you insert 'sys.vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 1500' in
'/etc/sysctl.conf' you can obtain the result you want.
The value will not change as soon as you save the file you can either
reboot your machine or execute this command 'sysctl -p'

If you wnant to power-save more on disk access, just add noatime to the
mount options in /etc/fstab

Who need accesstime updated on any file? nobody, nothing except the very
specific use bye a news server.

Adding noatime to flash drives wil save their life time as well.

Why is it not the default ?

--
Léa Gris - http://www.noiraude.net/
() Campagne du ruban texte brut contre les courriels en HTML,