Old 05-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Audio CDs and Ubuntu 7.10

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.
>

> Hi, I have burned some CDs as audio cds with "Nero Linux" but I can't
> make them play under Ubuntu 7.10. They are "recognised" as Blank
> CD-ROMs. They play OK in a DVD-player connected with my TV monitor.
>
> Also I can't make normal Audio CDs play under Ubuntu 7.10. These are
> recognised as "CD-ROM Disc", but still can't make them play under VLC
> and Totem.
>

> Has anyone else encountered such problems?

I have VLC fully with the needed hard to get add-ons and I watch DVD
movies on my computer. So you might need those drivers.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 19:20 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Hi, I have burned some CDs as audio cds with "Nero Linux" but I can't
> make them play under Ubuntu 7.10. They are "recognised" as Blank
> CD-ROMs. They play OK in a DVD-player connected with my TV monitor.

This *might* happen if they are encrypted commercial DVDs, if you don't
have libdvdcss (but I can scarcely remember not to have had it, so I#m
not sure). In any case:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

> Also I can't make normal Audio CDs play under Ubuntu 7.10. These are
> recognised as "CD-ROM Disc", but still can't make them play under VLC
> and Totem.

I haven't seen this, ever. With actual Audio CDs, that is, that have the
Audio CD logo. Note, however, that many labels nowadays intentionally
violate the Red Book Audio CD standard (and in this case do not have the
logo on the package) to implement half-assed DRM and prevent the CD from
being recognized by computers (except if you use a crappy player that
comes on the CD). These CDs may act like you describe. Some of these DRM
schemes have workarounds (like holding Shift while inserting the CD).
Check google for these.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.
>

> Hi, I have burned some CDs as audio cds with "Nero Linux" but I can't
> make them play under Ubuntu 7.10. They are "recognised" as Blank
> CD-ROMs. They play OK in a DVD-player connected with my TV monitor.
>
> Also I can't make normal Audio CDs play under Ubuntu 7.10. These are
> recognised as "CD-ROM Disc", but still can't make them play under VLC
> and Totem.
>

> Has anyone else encountered such problems?

I have installed many codecs (although I think it is not a codec issue,
I am talking about old Audio CDs that were playing OK all these years,
and even under CentOS/SL 4.x x86, 5.x x86 which do not come with any
non-free codecs.

Still my system mounts the Audio CDs as an empty "CD-ROM Disc",
sound-juicer doesn't recognise them.

The only change that I made recently, is that I changed the CD/DVD
recorder that I am using for playing CDs/DVDs too, with a new one, since
the old one was malfunctioning.

Perhaps it has something to do with it.

My /etc/fstab:

john@john-desktop:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/hdc3
UUID=d8190421-05fc-4644-ad51-3164c4a8ab33 / ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/hdc2
UUID=3d48355b-d6da-475f-a418-be481dbfdf4f /boot ext3
defaults 0 2
# /dev/hdc1
UUID=7a84ed6b-0635-4380-9e71-b61ea6ca18d1 none swap sw
0 0
/dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
john@john-desktop:~$

CentOS/SL have a program named kudzu that scans for changed/new hardware
and keeps a database file of the hardware. Perhaps there is a similar
service for Ubuntu?

How does Ubuntu keeps track of the installed hardware?

Thanks a lot,

Ioannis