Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 PM
chicharras

Default Ubuntu Package Management

Hi everyone,

Please help me understand how the installation and updates of
applications works in Ubuntu 7.1.

First, is it the same to install a package using "apt-get install"
than using the Synaptic Package Manager? I am interested in getting
update notices through the Update Manager.

Second, does the Update Manger inform of new versions/release of
installed software? I just installed some updates to Open Office using
the Update Manager. These updates where from version
1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3 to 1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.4, so I assume these are
updates to the 2.3 version of OO. But I see on the OO web page the
availability of OO 2.4. Will Update Manager give me the option to
upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4?

I have been using Ubuntu 7.1 for a couple of months in my laptop, and
I look forward to removing Windows completely soon.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cesar

Old 05-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Rashkae

chicharras wrote:

> First, is it the same to install a package using "apt-get install"
> than using the Synaptic Package Manager? I am interested in getting
> update notices through the Update Manager.

Yes. Synaptic and Update manager are front ends to apt.

> Second, does the Update Manger inform of new versions/release of
> installed software? I just installed some updates to Open Office using
> the Update Manager. These updates where from version
> 1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3 to 1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.4, so I assume these are
> updates to the 2.3 version of OO. But I see on the OO web page the
> availability of OO 2.4. Will Update Manager give me the option to
> upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4?

Unlikely. Generally, the version of software included in a release is
not updated, so as to keep the release as consistent as possible..
Security fixes and important functionality fixes are often backported to
older versions of the software. I don't really know how it all works or
what criteria is used to determine which software will be updated to a
new version, but I do know not to expect such from update manager.

Note that "backport" repos are there for the purpose of installing new
versions of software into existing releases of Ubuntu, at the cost of
not being officially supported.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 15:17 -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> Unlikely. Generally, the version of software included in a release is
> not updated, so as to keep the release as consistent as possible..
> Security fixes and important functionality fixes are often backported
> to older versions of the software. I don't really know how it all
> works or what criteria is used to determine which software will be
> updated to a new version, but I do know not to expect such from update
> manager.
>
> Note that "backport" repos are there for the purpose of installing new
> versions of software into existing releases of Ubuntu, at the cost of
> not being officially supported.

I guess it makes sense to add that the best way to get OO.org 2.4 is to
upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804overview
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804

Old 05-08-2008, 01:16 AM
chicharras

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 15:17 -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> > Unlikely. Generally, the version of software included in a release is
> > not updated, so as to keep the release as consistent as possible..
> > Security fixes and important functionality fixes are often backported
> > to older versions of the software. I don't really know how it all
> > works or what criteria is used to determine which software will be
> > updated to a new version, but I do know not to expect such from update
> > manager.
> >
> > Note that "backport" repos are there for the purpose of installing new
> > versions of software into existing releases of Ubuntu, at the cost of
> > not being officially supported.
>
> I guess it makes sense to add that the best way to get OO.org 2.4 is to
> upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04:
> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804overview
> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804

Thank you Rashkae and Mario.
I googled "ubuntu backport repos" and the first hit turned out to be a
very clear confirmation of what Rashkae explains. I will navigate
through the references on that page and read more.

Thanks!

Cesar

Old 05-08-2008, 03:18 AM
NoOp

On 05/07/2008 10:22 AM, chicharras wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Please help me understand how the installation and updates of
> applications works in Ubuntu 7.1.
>
> First, is it the same to install a package using "apt-get install"
> than using the Synaptic Package Manager? I am interested in getting
> update notices through the Update Manager.
>
> Second, does the Update Manger inform of new versions/release of
> installed software? I just installed some updates to Open Office using
> the Update Manager. These updates where from version
> 1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3 to 1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.4, so I assume these are
> updates to the 2.3 version of OO. But I see on the OO web page the
> availability of OO 2.4. Will Update Manager give me the option to
> upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4?
>
> I have been using Ubuntu 7.1 for a couple of months in my laptop, and
> I look forward to removing Windows completely soon.

As others have mentioned, you'll not get 2.4 with Gutsy. You can upgrade
to Hardy, or you can install standard OOo directly from
http://download.openoffice.org/index.html
In order to install the standard OOo, you will need to uninstall your
Ubuntu (U)OOo. Let me know if you want to do this and if you need
instructions.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Karl Larsen

NoOp wrote:
> On 05/07/2008 10:22 AM, chicharras wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Please help me understand how the installation and updates of
>> applications works in Ubuntu 7.1.
>>
>> First, is it the same to install a package using "apt-get install"
>> than using the Synaptic Package Manager? I am interested in getting
>> update notices through the Update Manager.
>>
>> Second, does the Update Manger inform of new versions/release of
>> installed software? I just installed some updates to Open Office using
>> the Update Manager. These updates where from version
>> 1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3 to 1:2.3.0-1ubuntu5.4, so I assume these are
>> updates to the 2.3 version of OO. But I see on the OO web page the
>> availability of OO 2.4. Will Update Manager give me the option to
>> upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4?
>>
>> I have been using Ubuntu 7.1 for a couple of months in my laptop, and
>> I look forward to removing Windows completely soon.
>>

> As others have mentioned, you'll not get 2.4 with Gutsy. You can upgrade
> to Hardy, or you can install standard OOo directly from
> http://download.openoffice.org/index.html
> In order to install the standard OOo, you will need to uninstall your
> Ubuntu (U)OOo. Let me know if you want to do this and if you need
> instructions.

Let me say a few words here. I came to Gutsy in the early part of
it's update cycle. The updates did make it a better safer system. But
the main thing that helped was this list.

I come from the Fedora Linux world and they have a list much like
this one. But there you are likely to be told to buzz off if your
question is too stupid. My main help message to this group was over the
problems I was having with nVidia video. I asked if anyone had a
computer with Ubuntu that worked fine.

Got several guys saying it works fine on their computer. This made
me stare at my hardware and recall that one fan in the computer was not
turned on. I got that fan working and ALL my nVidia problems went away.

So I treasure this list over the update management. I do look at
what is being updated before it is done. And in about a year the update
stops. This will not be a problem for me. I put a lot of my time into
making Gutsy work the way I like it to. You will do the same. And to
state the obvious, all updates are not good.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User