Old 05-07-2008, 08:49 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Alt+xxx characters

2008/5/5 Riana Carstens <carstensr@telkomsa.net>:
> I have a Dell Latitude notebook, but cannot get special characters by
> using the Alt + xxx keys. I read a lot, got advice but no joy.
> Anybody out there to help me??

What special characters do you want? What is your keyboard character
map? You likely need to configure the proper character map.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Rick

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/5/5 Riana Carstens <carstensr@telkomsa.net>:
>
>> I have a Dell Latitude notebook, but cannot get special characters by
>> using the Alt + xxx keys. I read a lot, got advice but no joy.
>> Anybody out there to help me??
>>

> What special characters do you want? What is your keyboard character
> map? You likely need to configure the proper character map.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

It doesn't seem to work in 8.04, maybe not in Linux at all. Too bad.
That's a useful tool. As a workaround, there's a panel applet called
character palette. That can be used in between keyboards for
multilingual use.
Rick

Old 05-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Florian Diesch

Riana Carstens <carstensr@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> I have a Dell Latitude notebook, but cannot get special characters by
> using the Alt + xxx keys. I read a lot, got advice but no joy.
> Anybody out there to help me??

Enable it in "Keyboard Preferences"/"Layouts"/"Layout Options"/
"Miscellaneous compatibility options"/"Shift with numeric keypad keys
works as in MS windows".

But IMHO it's much easier to use a compose key: Define it using
"Layout Options"/"Compose key position". than you can type specila
characters using sequences like Compose, ^, a for .

You can define your own sequences in the file ~/.XCompose. I attache
mine as an example.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 05-07-2008, 01:20 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/7 Rick <rufus@hanadari.net>:
>>> I have a Dell Latitude notebook, but cannot get special characters by
>>> using the Alt + xxx keys. I read a lot, got advice but no joy.
>>> Anybody out there to help me??
>>>

>> What special characters do you want? What is your keyboard character
>> map? You likely need to configure the proper character map.
>>
> It doesn't seem to work in 8.04, maybe not in Linux at all. Too bad.
> That's a useful tool. As a workaround, there's a panel applet called
> character palette. That can be used in between keyboards for
> multilingual use.
> Rick

What doesn't work? You cannot change the character map? You cannot
find the character map that you need? I don't even know what 'special
symbols' you are referring to, so please make that clear.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 09:09:07PM +0200, Riana Carstens wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude notebook, but cannot get special characters by
> using the Alt + xxx keys. I read a lot, got advice but no joy.

You can enter any Unicode character with Ctrl+Shift+u. For example, to
get ☃ ("SNOWMAN"), hold down Ctrl and Shift and type "u2603".

Marius Gedminas
--
H.323 has much in common with other ITU-T standards - it features a complex
binary wire protocol, a nightmarish implementation, and a bulk that can be used

Old 05-07-2008, 02:52 PM
"Terrell Prud Jr."

Riana Carstens wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude notebook, but cannot get special characters by
> using the Alt + xxx keys. I read a lot, got advice but no joy.
> Anybody out there to help me??
> Regards,

That's a DOS/Windows trick from way, way back that still works even in
Vista. :-)

There are a couple of ways to do it. Since I often type in Spanish,
which uses accented characters and the "~" over the n, I just pop open a
terminal window and type

setxkbmap us_intl

after which you can type the apostrophe and an e, and get the accented
e. If you want to go back, just type

setxkbmap us

and you'll be back to vanilla ol' white-bread gringo mode. :-)

The other way is to run a program like KCharSelect. It'll give you
every character you want. It's pointy-and-clicky, so it's slower than
Alt-XXX, but it works. KCharSelect comes as part of KDE, and IIRC,
there's a similar program for GNOME desktops.

--TP

Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/7 Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt>:
> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 09:09:07PM +0200, Riana Carstens wrote:
>> I have a Dell Latitude notebook, but cannot get special characters by
>> using the Alt + xxx keys. I read a lot, got advice but no joy.
>
> You can enter any Unicode character with Ctrl+Shift+u. For example, to
> get ☃ ("SNOWMAN"), hold down Ctrl and Shift and type "u2603".

Hey, it works!

This will be fun, as my native language cannot be represented in
ASCII. Ctrl + Shift + 5 characters for every letter I want to type!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 05:59:06PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/5/7 Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt>:
> > On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 09:09:07PM +0200, Riana Carstens wrote:
> >> I have a Dell Latitude notebook, but cannot get special characters by
> >> using the Alt + xxx keys. I read a lot, got advice but no joy.
> >
> > You can enter any Unicode character with Ctrl+Shift+u. For example, to
> > get ☃ ("SNOWMAN"), hold down Ctrl and Shift and type "u2603".
>
> ☃
>
> Hey, it works!
>
> This will be fun, as my native language cannot be represented in
> ASCII. Ctrl + Shift + 5 characters for every letter I want to type!

*blink*

That's why keyboard layouts were defined -- so you could type in your
native language without too much pain. Do you mean to say that you used
to press Alt + 3 characters for every letter you wanted to type?

Marius Gedminas
--
It is easier to optimize correct code than to correct optimized code.
-- Bill Harlan

Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/7 Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt>:
>> This will be fun, as my native language cannot be represented in
>> ASCII. Ctrl + Shift + 5 characters for every letter I want to type!
>
> *blink*
>
> That's why keyboard layouts were defined -- so you could type in your
> native language without too much pain. Do you mean to say that you used
> to press Alt + 3 characters for every letter you wanted to type?

Why do you think it took me 5 hours to reply?!?

Seriously, no, I have a keyboard layout defined. And that's what I
suggested to the OP to do. However, he insists that "it doesn't work"
without stating what "it" is, what doesn't work, and what he tried.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Rick

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>>> What special characters do you want? What is your keyboard character
>>> map? You likely need to configure the proper character map.
>>>

>> It doesn't seem to work in 8.04, maybe not in Linux at all. Too bad.
>> That's a useful tool. As a workaround, there's a panel applet called
>> character palette. That can be used in between keyboards for
>> multilingual use.
>> Rick
>>

> What doesn't work? You cannot change the character map? You cannot
> find the character map that you need? I don't even know what 'special
> symbols' you are referring to, so please make that clear.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Dotan,
You may not have noticed that the letter about which you are commenting
is a suggested solution, not the same person repeating the question. I
understood his problem, because I too use a multiplicity of keyboards
and sometimes write in another language inside the first or prefer an
accented spelling instead a standard one.
Rick (AKA אברהם בהוד השרון)

--
This comes to you from Deep-Thought VII: Rick's digital office,
classroom and entertainment center