Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Alain Muls

Default VirtualBox network connectivity

Hi

I installed VirtualBox and winxp as a guest. I need this for a program
that only runs on Windoze.
I cannot get the internet connectivity in the guest OS though I tried
using with all available options for netwworking in the virtual machine.
I also tried out the approach from

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Automatic_Bridge_Ubuntu

but get the error at the launch of the cirtual machine

VBox status code: -3100 (VERR_HOSTIF_INIT_FAILED)

If I disable the network interface, than windozexp starts up.

Any ideas
Tx/Alain

Old 11-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Sarunas Burdulis

Old 11-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Alain Muls wrote:
> Hi
>
> I installed VirtualBox and winxp as a guest. I need this for a program
> that only runs on Windoze.
> I cannot get the internet connectivity in the guest OS though I tried
> using with all available options for netwworking in the virtual machine.
> I also tried out the approach from
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Automatic_Bridge_Ubuntu
>

> but get the error at the launch of the cirtual machine
>
> VBox status code: -3100 (VERR_HOSTIF_INIT_FAILED)
>
> If I disable the network interface, than windozexp starts up.

I just went through this and got it working for the most part.

Here's a script I call 'bridge' and you can fire it up before or during
running of VBox.

By the way, I got this from a site at:

http://samiux.wordpress.com/2007/07/11/bridge-network-interface-on-virtualbox/

I had to modify it slightly as you will see from my comments at that site.

=================== bridge
#!/bin/sh -x
#Step 0 :
#If you have not install VirtualBox on your Ubuntu 7.04, follow this guide -
#How to install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 7.04

#Step 1 :
#Install the required packages -

# sudo apt-get install uml-utilities bridge-utils

# Step 2 :
#Create TAP interface -

tunctl -t tap1 -u bmarsh

#Step 3 :
#Create a br0 bridge -

brctl addbr br0

#Step 4 :
#Make your real network interface be promiscuous -

ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 promisc

#Step 5 :
#Link your real network interface to bridge br0 -

brctl addif br0 eth0

#Step 6 :
#Assign an IP to the br0. If you are using DHCP -

#dhclient br0

#Or, if you assign an IP yourself -

ifconfig br0 192.168.0.3

#* the IP may be different from yours.

#Step 7 :
#Link TAP to bridge br0 -

brctl addif br0 tap1

#Step 8 :
#Activate TAP interface -

ifconfig tap1 up

#Step 9 :
#Change the permission of /dev/net/tun -

chmod 0666 /dev/net/tun

#Step 10 :
#At the VirtualBox startup panel, choose Host Interface and add tap1 to
#Interface Name.

#Step 11 :
#At the guest (after boot up the guest OS), change the IP of the guest OS
#to the same subnet of your host.

#IP 192.168.0.40
#netmask 255.255.255.0
#gateway 192.168.0.2
#DNS #1 208.67.222.222
#DNS #2 208.67.220.220

#Step 12 :
#Now, you can execute the SlingBox player to watch your TV programmes on your
#guest OS (Windows XP) under Ubuntu 7.04 by VirtualBox.

#Step 13 (by BSM)
route add default gw 192.168.0.2 br0

Old 11-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Thursday 29 November 2007, Alain Muls wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I installed VirtualBox and winxp as a guest. I need this for a program
> > that only runs on Windoze.
> > I cannot get the internet connectivity in the guest OS though I tried
> > using with all available options for netwworking in the virtual machine.
> > I also tried out the approach from
> > http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Automatic_Bridge_Ubuntu
> >

> > but get the error at the launch of the cirtual machine
> >
> > VBox status code: -3100 (VERR_HOSTIF_INIT_FAILED)
> >
> > If I disable the network interface, than windozexp starts up.
>
> I just went through this and got it working for the most part.
>
> Here's a script I call 'bridge' and you can fire it up before or during
> running of VBox.
>
> By the way, I got this from a site at:
>
> http://samiux.wordpress.com/2007/07/11/bridge-network-interface-on-virtualb
>ox/
>
> I had to modify it slightly as you will see from my comments at that site.

> #!/bin/sh -x

I should have added that you'll have to change this to your situation:

In the script shown:

192.168.0.3 is the ip of the host for virtualbox

0.0.0.0 stays as is.

192.168.0.192 is the default gateway for the VB host