Old 05-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Curtis Vaughan

Default broadcom wireless

I have been struggling 2 days now to get a broadcome wireless card to
work on an HP DV6000 under Ubuntu 8.04. I've found tons of pages with
people getting it to work. But everything I've tried doesn't work. The
interesting thing is I went to the Ubuntu Help Wifi Docs and they say
that the driver is included in 8.04 and that a manual config is not
required. That it is all controlled through the nm-applet. But I have not
been able to get the card up at all.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

Curtis

Old 05-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Derek Broughton

Curtis Vaughan wrote:

> I have been struggling 2 days now to get a broadcome wireless card to
> work on an HP DV6000 under Ubuntu 8.04. I've found tons of pages with
> people getting it to work. But everything I've tried doesn't work. The
> interesting thing is I went to the Ubuntu Help Wifi Docs and they say
> that the driver is included in 8.04 and that a manual config is not
> required. That it is all controlled through the nm-applet. But I have not
> been able to get the card up at all.
> Any ideas?

I just use ndiswrapper (same, or at least very similar machine). The
Broadcom driver did _seem_ to work most of the time, but it didn't seem
reliable.
--
derek

Old 05-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Curtis Vaughan

On Sun, 04 May 2008 16:54:34 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Curtis Vaughan wrote:
>
>> I have been struggling 2 days now to get a broadcome wireless card to
>> work on an HP DV6000 under Ubuntu 8.04. I've found tons of pages with
>> people getting it to work. But everything I've tried doesn't work. The
>> interesting thing is I went to the Ubuntu Help Wifi Docs and they say
>> that the driver is included in 8.04 and that a manual config is not
>> required. That it is all controlled through the nm-applet. But I have
>> not been able to get the card up at all.
>> Any ideas?
>
> I just use ndiswrapper (same, or at least very similar machine). The
> Broadcom driver did _seem_ to work most of the time, but it didn't seem
> reliable.

Yeh I have tried getting ndiswrapper to work. Installing using apt-get,
synaptic and installing it manually. Nonetheless, nothing seems to work.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:46 PM
"Terrell Prudé Jr."

Have a look in the /lib/firmware directory and see if you see any files
in there.* If not, then that's your problem.

BTW, yep, it does work.* I've got it working on my Dell Latitude D600,
which comes with that accursed Broadcom crap.* I've also got it working
on my Latitude D610 that runs Slackware.* The driver itself has been
included in Linux ever since v2.6.17.* However, you also need something
called the firmware, which is loaded by the driver up into the wireless
card's own little embedded memory.* A little explanation of what's
really going on here is in order.

See, these wireless NICs are their own little tiny computers, with
their own little CPUs, DRAMs, and operating systems.* That little
operating system is what tells the wireless NIC how to be a wireless
NIC.* Think of it as the wireless NIC's own little BIOS.*
Traditionally, that little embedded operating system was included on a
PROM (and its successors EPROM and EEPROM) chip.* However, to save some
pennies here and there, some manufacturers have decided to do away with
the EEPROM and replace it with DRAM.

But wait, you say!* DRAM gets wiped after every power cycle!* Well,
you're right.* Since that's so, then how do we get that little embedded
operating system back into the wireless NIC so that it can actually
work?

The answer is something called a "firmware image."* This is a file that
contains the entirety of what used to be on that EEPROM.* When you
install a device driver on, say, MS Windows, that device driver is more
than just a device driver.* It also contains these "firmware images."*
What it does is store them somewhere on your hard disk.* Then, at
boot-time, the driver comes up, looks for the firmware image, and loads
it up into the wireless NIC's DRAM.* Effectively, you've replaced the
EEPROM with some space on your hard disk.

It works the same way on GNU/Linux.* The problem isn't technical; it's
legal.* Broadcom, for whatever asinine reason (Microsoft
payments/threats, perhaps?), doesn't seem to want their firmware
distributed with FOSS platforms.* So, we have to install them
ourselves. usually from a Windows driver package.* We've got to extract
the firmwares from the driver package and then put them in the right
place.* That "right place" on GNU/Linux systems is /lib/firmware.

The bc43xx-fwcutter package is what does this extraction.* After you
extract the firmwares, then you've got to copy them all over to the
/lib/firmware directory.* You will need to have root powers ("sudo -i",
for example) to do that.* You also will need a Windows driver package
from which to extract these firmwares.

--TP

_______________________________

Do you GNU?

Microsoft Free since 2003--the
ultimate antivirus protection!

Old 05-04-2008, 10:24 PM
"Flavio Costa"

Check those links:
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Tech/Wireless/Truemobile_ndiswrapper
http://www.divideandconquer.se/category/dell

I have a Dell Wireless 1390 aka BCM4310 and nothing seemed to make my card to work (neither bcm43xx nor the new b43) and yes I had the /lib/firmware populated with the correct files (b43-fwcutter instalation does this automagically).

Curtis Vaughan wrote:

I have been struggling 2 days now to get a broadcome wireless card to
work on an HP DV6000 under Ubuntu 8.04. I've found tons of pages with
people getting it to work. But everything I've tried doesn't work. The
interesting thing is I went to the Ubuntu Help Wifi Docs and they say
that the driver is included in 8.04 and that a manual config is not
required. That it is all controlled through the nm-applet. But I have not
been able to get the card up at all.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

Curtis

Flávio Coutinho da Costa

Old 05-05-2008, 02:34 PM
"Miano, Steven M."

> From: Curtis Vaughan
>
> I have been struggling 2 days now to get a broadcome wireless card to
> work on an HP DV6000 under Ubuntu 8.04. I've found tons of pages with
> people getting it to work. But everything I've tried doesn't work. The
> interesting thing is I went to the Ubuntu Help Wifi Docs and they say
> that the driver is included in 8.04 and that a manual config is not
> required. That it is all controlled through the nm-applet. But I have not
> been able to get the card up at all.
> Any ideas?
> Curtis

I have a BC43 as well, this page might help you out:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware

It's really a huge pita to be honest, I wish there was an easier way. : (

~Steven

Old 05-06-2008, 02:43 PM
"Terrell Prudé Jr."

From: Curtis Vaughan

I have been struggling 2 days now to get a broadcome wireless card to
work on an HP DV6000 under Ubuntu 8.04. I've found tons of pages with
people getting it to work. But everything I've tried doesn't work. The
interesting thing is I went to the Ubuntu Help Wifi Docs and they say
that the driver is included in 8.04 and that a manual config is not
required. That it is all controlled through the nm-applet. But I have not
been able to get the card up at all.
Any ideas?
Curtis

I have a BC43 as well, this page might help you out:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware

It's really a huge pita to be honest, I wish there was an easier way. : (

~Steven

There is an easier way.* Get a Ralink or Realtek wireless card and
throw that Broadcom crap in the garbage.* Yes, I've made it work, and
now I can make Broadcom work in five minutes.* But the learning curve
was something else (compiling my own kernel, researching/compiling
fw-cutter, etc.).* Ralink and Realtek are *MUCH* easier; they "Just
Work."*

Vote with your wallet, that's what I do.

But if you insist on doing thing the hard (read: Broadcom) way, make
sure you check in /lib/firmware to make sure that you've got all your
firmware images.* There are, if memory serves, about 8 or 10 files that
should be in there.

--TP

Old 05-06-2008, 06:00 PM
NoOp

On 05/06/2008 07:43 AM, Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
> Miano, Steven M. wrote:
>>> From: Curtis Vaughan
>>>
>>> I have been struggling 2 days now to get a broadcome wireless card to
>>> work on an HP DV6000 under Ubuntu 8.04. I've found tons of pages with
>>> people getting it to work. But everything I've tried doesn't work. The
>>> interesting thing is I went to the Ubuntu Help Wifi Docs and they say
>>> that the driver is included in 8.04 and that a manual config is not
>>> required. That it is all controlled through the nm-applet. But I have not
>>> been able to get the card up at all.
>>> Any ideas?
>>> Curtis
>>>

>> I have a BC43 as well, this page might help you out:
>>
>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware
>>
>> It's really a huge pita to be honest, I wish there was an easier way. : (
>>
>> ~Steven
>>
> There is an easier way. Get a Ralink or Realtek wireless card and throw
> that Broadcom crap in the garbage. Yes, I've made it work, and now I
> can make Broadcom work in five minutes. But the learning curve was
> something else (compiling my own kernel, researching/compiling
> fw-cutter, etc.). Ralink and Realtek are *MUCH* easier; they "Just Work."
>
> Vote with your wallet, that's what I do.

Interesting; I got my son a Dynex DX-EBNBC PCMCIA (broadcom chipset) -
plugged it in, was prompted to install the drivers, said yes to the
internet download, and was up and running in less than 10 minutes.
Took me nearly 1 hour (each) to get similar NetGear and Linksys cards
working on the same laptop. Gutsy.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:33 PM
"Jesse N. Richardson"

On Sunday 04 May 2008 3:26:47 pm ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> broadcom wireless

You need two files that will help you get it working. The links for both of
them are below.

File 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?4nvn2j9i4ym
File 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?dwwjnmo2w2t

Jesse N. Richardson (Flare)
Linux jesse-desktop 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Sun Sep 23 19:50:39 UTC 2007 i686
GNU/Linux

Kubuntu 7.10
You Rock and You Rule!