Old 05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Piero Dalle Pezze

Default A flicker problem

After having put the display to sleep, a blue flicker appears when
restored. I can solve it by re-setting the resolution with
nvidia-settings. I don't know if it is a problem in Xorg 7.3 or the new
nvidia drivers.

Any suggest to solve it?

Resolution 1280x800
Processor amd turion64 X2
Xorg 7.3
nvidia 169.12 (ubuntu hardy version)
kernel 2.6.24

Old 05-04-2008, 04:38 PM
sktsee

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 22:01 +0200, Piero Dalle Pezze wrote:
> After having put the display to sleep, a blue flicker appears when
> restored. I can solve it by re-setting the resolution with
> nvidia-settings. I don't know if it is a problem in Xorg 7.3 or the new
> nvidia drivers.
>
> Any suggest to solve it?
>
> Resolution 1280x800
> Processor amd turion64 X2
> Xorg 7.3
> nvidia 169.12 (ubuntu hardy version)
> kernel 2.6.24

Just from googling on blue+flicker+nvidia+driver, it appears that this a
problem not limited to Linux OS's, or Nvidia models, or even driver
versions. As for what causes it, there were numerous reasons listed:
driver issues, card manufacturer issues, dvi/vga cable issues, monitor
issues, configuration problems, etc. You didn't list your hardware, so
its going to be impossible to troubleshoot the problem. Can you run the
following commands?

1. sudo apt-get install hwinfo
2. sudo hwinfo --gfxcard
3. sudo hwinfo --monitor

Please post the results from steps 2 and 3.

Secondly, when you say "put the display to sleep", are you referring to
just putting the monitor in standby, or sleep mode, or are you referring
to putting the computer into suspend, or hibernation mode? Or does this
problem occur in all these situations?

--
sktsee

Old 05-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Piero Dalle Pezze

Thanks sktsee, for your answer. I post what you asked me.
On details, a strange fact occurs when I execute

sudo hwinfo --monitor

The screen was translated 1 cm to the right:
To better explain this, suppose a row in a screen of 10 pixel:
1234567890. After executing the command, I saw a screen shifted like
3456789012. I never have seen this phenomenon.

Moreover, the output of sudo hwinfo --monitor, tells:
Max. Resolution: 1024x768, even though the really max resolution is
1280x800. When the "blue flicker" problem appear, my monitor change
resolution from 1280x800 to 1024x768.

When I said "put the display to sleep", I was referring to
just the blank monitor that appear after the screen saver mode. So I was
meaning the swiching off the monitor, while the computer is running.
After having moved the mouse or pressed a button of the keyboard the
"blue flicker" problem appears.

sudo hwinfo --gfxcard

25: PCI 05.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
[Created at pci.296]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_10de_244
Unique ID: CvwD.8q7op5I_my2
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:05.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:00:05.0
Hardware Class: graphics card
Model: "Hewlett-Packard Company GeForce Go 6150"
Vendor: pci 0x10de "nVidia Corporation"
Device: pci 0x0244 "GeForce Go 6150"
SubVendor: pci 0x103c "Hewlett-Packard Company"
SubDevice: pci 0x30bf
Revision: 0xa2
Driver: "nvidia"
Driver Modules: "nvidia"
Memory Range: 0xc2000000-0xc2ffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff (rw,prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xc1000000-0xc1ffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0x88000000-0x8801ffff (ro,prefetchable,disabled)
IRQ: 10 (149615 events)
I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
Module Alias: "pci:v000010DEd00000244sv0000103Csd000030BFbc03sc0 0i00"
Driver Info #0:
XFree86 v4 Server Module: nv
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

Primary display adapter: #25

sudo hwinfo --monitor

35: None 00.0: 10000 Monitor
[Created at fb.71]
Unique ID: rdCR.EY_qmtb9YY0
Hardware Class: monitor
Model: "Generic Monitor"
Vendor: "Generic"
Device: "Monitor"
Resolution: 1024x768@76Hz
Driver Info #0:
Max. Resolution: 1024x768
Vert. Sync Range: 50-90 Hz
Hor. Sync Range: 31-61 kHz
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unkno

Piero