Old 05-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Ioannis Vranos

Default Best partition size for Ubuntu Root

Young wrote:
> I'm preparing to do a complete re-install using 8.04. It's a dual boot
> system with multiple drives, and I plan to re-partion the drives before
> hand so I can improve my back-up scheme, and better share media files,
> documents and email between the two OSs.
>
> I'm trying to determine the largest expected size for Ubuntu plus an
> average assortment of applications.
>
> Any suggestions?

My system with average applications installed:

/dev/hdc3 292G 6.4G 271G 3% /

Old 05-02-2008, 01:50 AM
ssc1478

On Fri, 02 May 2008 04:08:29 +0300
Ioannis Vranos <ivranos@freemail.gr> wrote:

> Young wrote:
<snip>

> > I'm trying to determine the largest expected size for Ubuntu plus
> > an average assortment of applications.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>

> My system with average applications installed:

> /dev/hdc3 292G 6.4G 271G 3% /

I have two disks, 30gb with: /boot, / and swap and an 80gb with /home.
/dev/sda6 24876108 3380256 20232200 15% /
/dev/sda1 1988208 72048 1815160 4% /boot
/dev/sdb1 76944512 26615400 50329112 35% /home

Old 05-02-2008, 02:24 AM
Kent Borg

I have three different versions of Ubuntu on my notebook (6.04, 7.10,
and 8.04), and I have been 10GB for each / partition. At the moment I
have a lot of software installed on 8.04:

$ df /
/dev/sda5 9757248 6939752 2817496 72% /

Not full, some head room. A nice round number: 10 GB. (And affordable on
modern disks.)

-kb

Old 05-02-2008, 03:30 AM
Young

ssc1478 wrote:

On Fri, 02 May 2008 04:08:29 +0300
I'm trying to determine the largest expected size for Ubuntu plus
an average assortment of applications.

Any suggestions?

My system with average applications installed:

/dev/hdc3 292G 6.4G 271G 3% /

I have two disks, 30gb with: /boot, / and swap and an 80gb with /home.
/dev/sda6 24876108 3380256 20232200 15% /
/dev/sda1 1988208 72048 1815160 4% /boot
/dev/sdb1 76944512 26615400 50329112 35% /home

So that means you're using about 80 MB in your /boot partition, 27 GB
in /home partition, and 3.7 GB in /root.

I'm still not that familiar with why (or how) to separate /,* /boot,
and /home.

What are the advantages?

Old 05-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Pastor JW

On Thursday 01 May 2008 06:47:09 pm Young wrote:
> I'm preparing to do a complete re-install using 8.04. It's a dual boot
> system with multiple drives, and I plan to re-partion the drives before
> hand so I can improve my back-up scheme, and better share media files,
> documents and email between the two OSs.
>
> I'm trying to determine the largest expected size for Ubuntu plus an
> average assortment of applications.
>
> Any suggestions?

OK, a few days ago I asked quite the same type of question, however once I got
into researching the thing, it turns out Ubuntu doesn't partition like other
distros. I have a 160 GB drive in this from the factory Ubuntu laptop
install and it turns out the drive is ONE partition, of which 9.4 gig is
currently used! I'm used to the way other distros partition which ususally
means you can trash the "system" partition all you want but the user info is
held safe in the /home partition. Ubuntu seems to put it all in a single
partition. In this case, it seems that there is not a real set answer to
your question. Minimum may be 10-12 gig or so but max is whatever you got.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 05-02-2008, 06:39 AM
"Raseel Bhagat"

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Pastor JW <pastor_jw@the-inner-circle.org> wrote:

On Thursday 01 May 2008 06:47:09 pm Young wrote:

> I'm preparing to do a complete re-install using 8.04. It's a dual boot

> system with multiple drives, and I plan to re-partion the drives before

> hand so I can improve my back-up scheme, and better share media files,

> documents and email *between the two OSs.

> I'm trying to determine the largest expected size for Ubuntu plus an

> average assortment of applications.

> Any suggestions?

it turns out Ubuntu doesn't partition like other

distros. ** I'm used to the way other distros partition which ususally

means you can trash the "system" partition all you want but the user info is

held safe in the /home partition. *Ubuntu seems to put it all in a single

partition.*
If you do a "typical" setup Ubuntu does take control and does a "dumb" partition setup, which is usually the entire free-space or the entire disk.

But paritioning is a Distro-agnostic* concept, by which I mean, that you can partition any Distro as you like.

Usually, it makes sense to have different partitions for the following directories, for the following reasons :
/boot : This is done, so that in the event of a system crash, you can still dual-boot into your other distros. Usually if you are playing around with a few kernels, about 200-300MB space is enough.

/home : This is done in systems where there are more no. of users or if the user prefers to put a lot of information in his home directory. If this is the case, a good 10Gb+ would be a good estimate for this directory. Again, this would increase propotionally as no. of users increase.

/usr : Again, this is done when the Distro is a server and a lot of stuff is installed.
/root : I usually do not consider it a good idea to have a separate root partition primarily because in Ubuntu , one always signs in as a normal user and uses "sudo" to perform superuser tasks. So ideally, there is no data for root.

/ : This is the base-root partition and I give it the maximum size of atleast 10GB. Depending upon whether you have allocated the above paritions or not, this size may increase.

Thanks,
Raseel
http://raseel.in

Apart from the ones

Old 05-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Arthur

i believe some of the must haves :

/boot***** 500Mb* (You might need to recompile a few kernels later)
/******** 15000Mb* (sufficient for even a desktop install)
swap**** 1000Mb
/home* whats_left_Mb
/var**** if this is a server of applications you ought to give it a separate partition with enough space.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Ioannis Vranos

Arthur wrote:
> i believe some of the must haves :
>
> /boot 500Mb (You might need to recompile a few kernels later)
> / 15000Mb (sufficient for even a desktop install)
> swap 1000Mb
> /home whats_left_Mb
> /var if this is a server of applications you ought to give it a
> separate partition with enough space.

If /swap is less than RAM the system can't hibernate. My suggestion for
swap: 2* RAM size, at least.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Leafman

If you were to have 2GB RAM, you suggest 4GB swap?
Isn't that a bit much?