Old 11-29-2007, 05:26 AM
"Chris Lemire"

Default Help needed with mail server setup

Old 11-29-2007, 05:48 AM
Ugo Bellavance

Chris Lemire wrote:

I'll answer what I can.

> I am trying to setup the following,
> and I have made some progress. Here's my setup.

> Mailman (I'm still trying to figure out what I
> am going to use this for, but I think it would
> be very cool and useful to learn.)

This is to manage mailing lists... if you don't need a mailing list and
if you don't have a reliable server on a reliable internet link with
port 25 open, you shoud probably play with something else.

> Postfix (smtp server for relaying mail to a
> smarthost.)

Why can't you configure your e-mails client to use the smarthost instead?

> Here are my questions.
>
> How can I know if I need SASL when setting up
> Postfix?

I don't think you need postfix.

> How can I know if I need SMTP Authentication?

You need it in your client, that is enough.

> Do I need it because gmail uses it even though
> I will be relaying mails to my internet

You should use gmail's servers, or your emails may bounce or considered
as spam because of SPF failure.

> Should I configure Postfix to use mbox or
> Maildir format?

I don't know. I don't think you need postfix.

> Why should I configure it to use one or the
> other?

[...]

> Does Fetchmail use mbox or Maildir?

From what I've seen, fetchmail sends to an MTA, it doesn't store the
e-mail itself

> Which one does it use by default?

[...]

> Should I configure Postfix to use the same as
> Fetchmail?

[...] Honestly, you're making this all a lot too complex for what it
is. Gmail's interface is very good. Why don't you use it?

Or if you'd like to use evolution, do so and follow the configuration
for gmail and pop/smtp.

Why do you absolutely need to be able to take your e-mails with mutt?

Ugo

Old 11-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Wade Smart

11292007 0615 GMT-6

This is what I do:
fetchmail, postfix, dovecot.

fetchmail get mail from my domain host and gmail.
postfix puts it in dirs format.
dovecot serves it up to any mail client I chose to use.

You have to use ssl for gmail.
Look in the ubuntu wiki on how to do this.

Wade

Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Tro

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Chris Lemire wrote:
> Postfix (smtp server for relaying mail to a
> smarthost.)

Instead of Postfix, msmtp may be better for this purpose.

Tro

Old 11-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Tro

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Chris Lemire wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007 2:49 PM, Tro <troworld@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 November 2007, Chris Lemire wrote:
> > > Postfix (smtp server for relaying mail to a
> > > smarthost.)
> >
> > Instead of Postfix, msmtp may be better for this purpose.
> >
> > Tro
>
> Why?

It's smaller. Its configuration is simpler. Its whole purpose is to pass the
mail you send to a real mail server.

Tro

Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 PM
"Chris Lemire"

I've already got Postfix working, so I am not really worried about how
easy it is to configure. Is there enough good reason for me to switch
to msmtp?

--
Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>

Old 11-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Tro

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Chris Lemire wrote:
> I've already got Postfix working, so I am not really worried about how
> easy it is to configure. Is there enough good reason for me to switch
> to msmtp?

In that case, no. If you have something that works for you, keep using it.

Tro