Old 11-29-2007, 03:23 AM
Hal Davis

Default Help - complete Linux newbie

Read the PCMag article on Linux, and decided to download Ubuntu, because
they said it was good for newbies, and it came with a reliable partition
utility so I could make my laptop into a dual-boot device.

Completed the 20-minute download, and I now have a 700 MB .iso file on
my Windows desktop. Trouble is, I try double-clicking on the file and
nothing happens. I get a message about an external file needing to be
opened, and I tell it, sure, whatever, and nothing happens.

How do I make the magic happen?

Hal Davis

Old 11-29-2007, 03:31 AM
Caleb Marcus

You need to burn the ISO to a blank CD, not as a file, but as an image. If your burning software doesn't have the capability to burn an image, try InfraBurner ( http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/ ) which is a free CD burning utility that will let you get this done. After that, boot from the CD by rebooting your computer with the CD in. You may have to go into your BIOS setup or boot menu to have it boot from a CD.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:37 AM
"H.S."

Hal Davis wrote:
> Read the PCMag article on Linux, and decided to download Ubuntu, because
> they said it was good for newbies, and it came with a reliable partition
> utility so I could make my laptop into a dual-boot device.
>
> Completed the 20-minute download, and I now have a 700 MB .iso file on
> my Windows desktop. Trouble is, I try double-clicking on the file and
> nothing happens. I get a message about an external file needing to be
> opened, and I tell it, sure, whatever, and nothing happens.
>
> How do I make the magic happen?
>
> Hal Davis

You need to burn that ISO image to a CD. Try a CD burning application on
your computer. I am not sure about all the options available in Windows,
but I have used Nero for this in the past. Note that in a CD burning
application, you must choose to "Burn an image" or "burn an ISO file" to
CD -- when the dialog box opens asking you to select the iso file,
select the Ubuntu iso file you downloaded earlier.

After burning the disk, reboot your computer with that CD in the CDROM
drive (make sure your computer is to look in the CDROM first during
booting).

Good luck.

->HS

Old 11-29-2007, 03:39 AM
"Tab Gilbert"

You need to burn the ISO to a blank CD, not as a file, but as an image. If your burning software doesn't have the capability to burn an image, try InfraBurner (
http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/ ) which is a free CD burning utility that will let you get this done. After that, boot from the CD by rebooting your computer with the CD in. You may have to go into your BIOS setup or boot menu to have it boot from a CD.

Some other information.

BurningIsoHowto

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Quickguide: Installing/upgrading advice to Gutsy

tab

Old 11-29-2007, 03:39 AM
anthony baldwin

Hal Davis wrote:
> Read the PCMag article on Linux, and decided to download Ubuntu, because
> they said it was good for newbies, and it came with a reliable partition
> utility so I could make my laptop into a dual-boot device.
>
> Completed the 20-minute download, and I now have a 700 MB .iso file on
> my Windows desktop. Trouble is, I try double-clicking on the file and
> nothing happens. I get a message about an external file needing to be
> opened, and I tell it, sure, whatever, and nothing happens.
>
> How do I make the magic happen?
>
> Hal Davis

Read this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

/tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting

Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 AM
debian

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 22:23 -0600, Hal Davis wrote:
<snip>
> Completed the 20-minute download, and I now have a 700 MB .iso file on
> my Windows desktop. Trouble is, I try double-clicking on the file and
> nothing happens. I get a message about an external file needing to be
> opened, and I tell it, sure, whatever, and nothing happens.
</snip>

Well, 1, windows doesnt know how to read iso files exactly, and 2, you
need to burn the contents of the iso to a cd. I recommend using alcohol
120% or nero to do this.

Once the cd has been written, reboot the computer with the cd in the
drive

--cj

Old 11-29-2007, 10:46 AM
"Joel Bryan Juliano"

On Nov 29, 2007 12:23 PM, Hal Davis <lawyer07@civdiv.com> wrote:
> Read the PCMag article on Linux, and decided to download Ubuntu, because
> they said it was good for newbies, and it came with a reliable partition
> utility so I could make my laptop into a dual-boot device.
>
> Completed the 20-minute download, and I now have a 700 MB .iso file on
> my Windows desktop. Trouble is, I try double-clicking on the file and
> nothing happens. I get a message about an external file needing to be
> opened, and I tell it, sure, whatever, and nothing happens.
>
> How do I make the magic happen?
>
> Hal Davis

.ISO's are a complete copy of a CD, DVD or any optical media that is
made as files. (Which is called images)
Windows XP doesn't have a included application to open it, so you'll have to.

1. Download an ISO burning application, many of them had been discussed here.
2. Open those files using those application, and burn it in a CD.

The next thing you need to do is prepare your computer to boot the burned CD.

3. Go to your BIOS setup, usually by pressing (DEL), then change the
boot order to boot CD/DVD drives first.
4. Complete the easy-to-use installation process.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:49 AM
"Tim M"

Another way to get Ubuntu and one without having to burn an ISO is to
use https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
It is a free service . . . the only problem is it takes weeks go get your copy.
By the way be sure to BACKUP the present OS on your laptop before
installing Ubuntu.

Tim

Old 11-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Angel

im new in linux als.bt i think,i can help u.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 PM
"Tab Gilbert"

im new in linux als.bt i think,i can help u.

Was that Spam that just walked by or am I seeing things?

Tab