Old 11-29-2007, 12:07 AM
"John Dangler"

Default vmware-server 2

I installed vmware-server v2 beta to run some testing for my company.
V2 apparently needs to have IPV6 turned off
as well as having xinetd installed.
I installed xinetd, but would like to start and stop this manually
(ubuntu sets this up to start automatically).
Also I need to stop IPV6.
I'm sure I saw some threads in the list (or the forums) for the IPV6
part, but haven't found it yet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Old 11-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Jakob Lenfers

John Dangler schrieb:
> I installed vmware-server v2 beta to run some testing for my company.
> V2 apparently needs to have IPV6 turned off
> as well as having xinetd installed.
> I installed xinetd, but would like to start and stop this manually
> (ubuntu sets this up to start automatically).
> Also I need to stop IPV6.
> I'm sure I saw some threads in the list (or the forums) for the IPV6
> part, but haven't found it yet.

Sorry, no idea on that one.

> Any input would be greatly appreciated...

I tried v2 myself yesterday and switched back to 1.0.4 because they
ditched the console and replaced it with a webinterface. That means you
need a browser to view the VM. Thats all right, if you're only using it
for a server installation and need the screen only for installation, but
I use it here for my windows needs, if there are any, and I will not use
a browser to do this. :-)

Jakob, holding an to v1 until they change their minds and release a real
console...

Old 11-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:07:18 -0500
"John Dangler" <jdangler@terremark.com> wrote:

> I installed vmware-server v2 beta to run some testing for my company.
> V2 apparently needs to have IPV6 turned off
> as well as having xinetd installed.
> I installed xinetd, but would like to start and stop this manually
> (ubuntu sets this up to start automatically).
> Also I need to stop IPV6.
> I'm sure I saw some threads in the list (or the forums) for the IPV6
> part, but haven't found it yet.

This might help on disable IPV6...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87798&highlight=Disable+IPV6

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz
Registered Linux User Number 425914

Old 11-30-2007, 06:45 PM
"John Dangler"

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 14:07 -0500, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:07:18 -0500
> "John Dangler" <jdangler@terremark.com> wrote:
>
> > I installed vmware-server v2 beta to run some testing for my
> company.
> > V2 apparently needs to have IPV6 turned off
> > as well as having xinetd installed.
> > I installed xinetd, but would like to start and stop this manually
> > (ubuntu sets this up to start automatically).
> > Also I need to stop IPV6.
> > I'm sure I saw some threads in the list (or the forums) for the IPV6
> > part, but haven't found it yet.
>
> This might help on disable IPV6...
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87798&highlight=Disable+IPV6

Interesting. In that thread, they say to create the file
modules.d/bad_list. In Gutsy, there is a file named blacklist, which
says "This file lists those modules which we don't want to be loaded by
alias expansion, usually so some other driver will be loaded for the
device instead."
Is this the same as the bad_list file the thread mentions? If so, I
should be able to add the lines
alias net-pf-10
alias ivp6
to the blacklist file and reboot...

Old 11-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Thilo Six

John Dangler wrote the following on 29.11.2007 02:07
> I installed vmware-server v2 beta to run some testing for my company.
> V2 apparently needs to have IPV6 turned off

$ grep net-pf-10 /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
#alias net-pf-10 ipv6
$ grep net-pf-10 /etc/modprobe.d/local-modprobe-aliases
alias net-pf-10 off

If i "only"
alias net-pf-10 off
in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases in past i experienced ipv6 not beeing off.

> as well as having xinetd installed.
> I installed xinetd, but would like to start and stop this manually
> (ubuntu sets this up to start automatically).
> Also I need to stop IPV6.
> I'm sure I saw some threads in the list (or the forums) for the IPV6
> part, but haven't found it yet.
>
> Any input would be greatly appreciated...

HTH
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 11-30-2007, 08:08 PM
"John Dangler"

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 15:06 -0500, Thilo Six wrote:
> John Dangler wrote the following on 29.11.2007 02:07
> > I installed vmware-server v2 beta to run some testing for my
> company.
> > V2 apparently needs to have IPV6 turned off
>
> $ grep net-pf-10 /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
> #alias net-pf-10 ipv6
Right now in aliases, this line is not commented out
> $ grep net-pf-10 /etc/modprobe.d/local-modprobe-aliases
> alias net-pf-10 off
I don't have this file. Did you create this file here and put that entry
in it?

> If i "only"
Not sure what you mean by this...
> alias net-pf-10 off
> in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases in past i experienced ipv6 not beeing off.
>
> > as well as having xinetd installed.
> > I installed xinetd, but would like to start and stop this manually
> > (ubuntu sets this up to start automatically).
> > Also I need to stop IPV6.
> > I'm sure I saw some threads in the list (or the forums) for the IPV6
> > part, but haven't found it yet.
> >
> > Any input would be greatly appreciated...
>
> HTH
> --
> Thilo
>
> key: 0x4A411E09

Jack Dangler
Secure Information Services
Terremark Worldwide
786 871 2352 (Office)
786 219 9865 (Mobile)

Old 11-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Thilo Six

John Dangler wrote the following on 30.11.2007 22:08

<<-snip->>

>> $ grep net-pf-10 /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
>> #alias net-pf-10 ipv6
> Right now in aliases, this line is not commented out

i have it here

>> $ grep net-pf-10 /etc/modprobe.d/local-modprobe-aliases
>> alias net-pf-10 off
> I don't have this file. Did you create this file here and put that entry
> in it?

yes

>> If i "only"
> Not sure what you mean by this...

well there is a saying that you donīt have to create that additional file
/etc/modprobe.d/local-modprobe-aliases with
alias net-pf-10 off

instead just change

alias net-pf-10 ipv6
alias net-pf-10 off
in
/etc/modprobe.d/aliases

but as i said that hasnīt worked for me when i tested it (back in dapper or
s.th.) whereas the aboce has allways worked.

bye
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Thilo Six

John Dangler wrote the following on 30.11.2007 22:08
> On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 15:06 -0500, Thilo Six wrote:
>> John Dangler wrote the following on 29.11.2007 02:07
>>> I installed vmware-server v2 beta to run some testing for my
>> company.
>>> V2 apparently needs to have IPV6 turned off

<<-snip->>

and also you have to:

$ cat /etc/hosts | grep ^#
#::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback