Old 04-28-2008, 01:07 PM
tux792

Default Nvidia Server Settings

I configured the subject settings for dual-screen but could not write to
the X11-config file to apply the new configs. I assume that is because
I am not signed-in as root. Ubuntu will not allow me to log-in into the
GUI as root, compounding my frustration. If I could boot-up into
runlevel-3, I could possible run startx and log into the GUI as root but
I am not sure about that happening with Ubuntu.

I know of no way to reconfigure the subject server settings from the
CLI, so SUDO-ing isn't a possible avenue. I also need a method to set a
root password, which usually happens during installation on other
distributions. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
JTux

Old 04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
"B.J. McClure"

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 08:07 -0500, tux792 wrote:
> I configured the subject settings for dual-screen but could not write to
> the X11-config file to apply the new configs. I assume that is because
> I am not signed-in as root. Ubuntu will not allow me to log-in into the
> GUI as root, compounding my frustration. If I could boot-up into
> runlevel-3, I could possible run startx and log into the GUI as root but
> I am not sure about that happening with Ubuntu.
>
> I know of no way to reconfigure the subject server settings from the
> CLI, so SUDO-ing isn't a possible avenue. I also need a method to set a
> root password, which usually happens during installation on other
> distributions. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> JTux

If you are in a terminal, try "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" w/o the quotes. It will prompt for your login password.
You can then edit and save your configuration. Either reboot or restart the x server to try your new config. Control + alt + backspace
will restart x.

B.J.

Ubuntu 7.10, Linux 2.6.22-14-generic unknown 10:22:31 up 10:38, 1 user,
load average: 0.07, 0.24, 0.50