Old 04-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Luca Ferrari

Default firewall rules for google earth

Hi all,
I've got an ubuntu machine that works as gateway for a lan of pcs, but I'm not
able to access to google earth from anyone of the clients. The program says
I've a problem contacting the server, but I cannot figure out what the
problem could be. I've inserted a rule to forward the traffic from the lan to
google.com, but it does not work. Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Luca

Old 04-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Kim Goldenberg

Luca Ferrari wrote:

Hi all,
I've got an ubuntu machine that works as gateway for a lan of pcs, but I'm not
able to access to google earth from anyone of the clients. The program says
I've a problem contacting the server, but I cannot figure out what the
problem could be. I've inserted a rule to forward the traffic from the lan to
google.com, but it does not work. Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Luca

If you are running the x64 version of Hardy, you have to install package
lib32nss-mdns; this adds Multicast DNS name resolution in the 32-bit
arena, and Google Earth works after that. (Found on UbubtuForums through
Google last night).

Kim

Old 04-29-2008, 02:03 PM
James Tappin

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:55:51 -0400
Kim Goldenberg <kgoldenberg@oit.state.nj.us> wrote:

KG> Luca Ferrari wrote:
KG> > Hi all,
KG> > I've got an ubuntu machine that works as gateway for a lan of pcs, but I'm not
KG> > able to access to google earth from anyone of the clients. The program says
KG> > I've a problem contacting the server, but I cannot figure out what the
KG> > problem could be. I've inserted a rule to forward the traffic from the lan to
KG> > google.com, but it does not work. Any suggestion?
KG> >
KG> > Thanks,
KG> > Luca
KG> >
KG> If you are running the x64 version of Hardy, you have to install package
KG> lib32nss-mdns; this adds Multicast DNS name resolution in the 32-bit
KG> arena, and Google Earth works after that. (Found on UbubtuForums through
KG> Google last night).

With the medibuntu packages, the dependency has now been added.