Old 04-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Mario Vukelic

Default Switching virtual terminals

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 17:29 +0700, indra kurniawan wrote:
> I hit CTRL ALT F12 and ended up with a blank screen, no prompt and
> can't back to Mode Graph.

Try Ctrl Alt F7.

Usually, Linux systems start several "virtual terminals" on boot. You
can switch between them with Ctrl Alt Fx (with 1 <= x <= 12). From F1 to
F6 you will find text terminals that let you log in, F7 runs the
graphical environment, and F8 and above are empty be default. If more
than one graphical session is active, they will show up at F8, etc.

Regarding mailing list etiquette:
Please don't "hijack" threads:
(Note #3)

Old 06-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Jim Dever

From X I can hit Alt-Ctrl-F1 or Alt-Ctrl-F2 to get to a virtual
terminal but once there I can't get back to X (Alt-Ctrl-F7). I can't
even change to another virtual terminal (Alt-Ctrl-F1 through F6).

I'm using a plain vanilla F9 install but have had this problem since I
started using Fedora at F7.

Any ideas?

--
Jim

Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 05Jun2008 20:18, Jim Dever <jdever@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> From X I can hit Alt-Ctrl-F1 or Alt-Ctrl-F2 to get to a virtual terminal
> but once there I can't get back to X (Alt-Ctrl-F7). I can't even change
> to another virtual terminal (Alt-Ctrl-F1 through F6).
>
> I'm using a plain vanilla F9 install but have had this problem since I
> started using Fedora at F7.

I think it's Just Ctrl-, not Alt-Ctrl-, from text console land.
Or just Alt-. But anyway, only one of the modifiers, not both.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Loose lids kink squids. - Jody.P.Levine@hydro.on.ca DoD#275

Old 06-06-2008, 01:42 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 10:27 +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> I think it's Just Ctrl-, not Alt-Ctrl-, from text console land.
> Or just Alt-. But anyway, only one of the modifiers, not both.

It's Alt + function keys. When in the text consoles, you can ALT+F2 or
CTRL+ALT+F2 on every computer that I've tried it with. I'm not on
Fedora 9 at the moment to check if that still works both ways, but I'm
fairly sure I've CTRL+ALT+Fx a few times back and forth, on Fedora 9,
over the last few days.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:02 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 11:12 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 10:27 +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> > I think it's Just Ctrl-, not Alt-Ctrl-, from text console land.
> > Or just Alt-. But anyway, only one of the modifiers, not both.
>
> It's Alt + function keys. When in the text consoles, you can ALT+F2
> or
> CTRL+ALT+F2 on every computer that I've tried it with. I'm not on
> Fedora 9 at the moment to check if that still works both ways, but I'm
> fairly sure I've CTRL+ALT+Fx a few times back and forth, on Fedora 9,
> over the last few days.

Correct. From an X session it's Ctrl-Alt-Fn, from a text console it's
the same, or simply Alt-Fn.

poc

Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Jim Dever

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

I think it's Just Ctrl-, not Alt-Ctrl-, from text console land.
Or just Alt-. But anyway, only one of the modifiers, not both.

It's Alt + function keys. When in the text consoles, you can ALT+F2
or
CTRL+ALT+F2 on every computer that I've tried it with. I'm not on
Fedora 9 at the moment to check if that still works both ways, but I'm
fairly sure I've CTRL+ALT+Fx a few times back and forth, on Fedora 9,
over the last few days.

Correct. From an X session it's Ctrl-Alt-Fn, from a text console it's
the same, or simply Alt-Fn.

I just tried it again to make sure. From an X session CTRL+ALT+Fn works
but from a text console Alt-Fn does nothing. It's remains at the same
tty I was at when I issued the CTRL+ALT+Fn from X. Any ideas?

Jim

Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 05:11 -0400, Jim Dever wrote:
> I just tried it again to make sure. From an X session CTRL+ALT+Fn
> works but from a text console Alt-Fn does nothing. It's remains at
> the same tty I was at when I issued the CTRL+ALT+Fn from X. Any
> ideas?

I am back on Fedora 9, now, and both ALT+Fn and CTRL+ALT+Fn are working
for me, so the problem is probably specific to your setup. You might
want to say if your installation was fresh, or updating a prior release.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 10:27 +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 05Jun2008 20:18, Jim Dever <jdever@triad.rr.com> wrote:
> > From X I can hit Alt-Ctrl-F1 or Alt-Ctrl-F2 to get to a virtual
> terminal
> > but once there I can't get back to X (Alt-Ctrl-F7). I can't even
> change
> > to another virtual terminal (Alt-Ctrl-F1 through F6).
> >
> > I'm using a plain vanilla F9 install but have had this problem since
> > started using Fedora at F7.
>
> I think it's Just Ctrl-, not Alt-Ctrl-, from text console land.
> Or just Alt-. But anyway, only one of the modifiers, not both.
Then that is a change. Traditionally it has been ctrl-alt-Fx , with
ctrl-alt-F7 taking you back to the X session.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 11:12 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 10:27 +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> > I think it's Just Ctrl-, not Alt-Ctrl-, from text console land.
> > Or just Alt-. But anyway, only one of the modifiers, not both.
>
> It's Alt + function keys. When in the text consoles, you can ALT+F2 or
> CTRL+ALT+F2 on every computer that I've tried it with. I'm not on
> Fedora 9 at the moment to check if that still works both ways, but I'm
> fairly sure I've CTRL+ALT+Fx a few times back and forth, on Fedora 9,
> over the last few days.

On my machine Alt-Fx does something different. It allows you to run a
program in a virtual terminal.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 20:24 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 05:11 -0400, Jim Dever wrote:
> > I just tried it again to make sure. From an X session CTRL+ALT+Fn
> > works but from a text console Alt-Fn does nothing. It's remains at
> > the same tty I was at when I issued the CTRL+ALT+Fn from X. Any
> > ideas?
>
> I am back on Fedora 9, now, and both ALT+Fn and CTRL+ALT+Fn are
> working
> for me, so the problem is probably specific to your setup. You might
> want to say if your installation was fresh, or updating a prior wes

Again this must be a F9 special. On f7 and F8 , ctrl-alt-Fx takesw you
to a virtual termianl. alt-Fx allows you to run a program in a virtual
termial. However if you are in a virtual terminal then alt-Fx will take
you to a new terminal. These are not upgraded systems I am using.