Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Cameron Hutchison

Default Upgrading gutsy to hardy with aptitude

I want to upgrade my gutsy installation to hardy with aptitude, since
aptitude keeps track of automatically installed packages.

However, the recommended method is to use update-manager since it may
perform some other actions to make the upgrade smooth. Is there anywhere
that these actions are listed? I would like to know what update-manager
will do that aptitude wont so that I can look out for the issues those
actions address.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 AM
"indra kurniawan"

I hit CTRL ALT F12 and ended up with a blank screen, no prompt and can't back to Mode Graph.

------
indra

Old 04-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 19:15 +1000, Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> However, the recommended method is to use update-manager since it may
> perform some other actions to make the upgrade smooth. Is there
> anywhere that these actions are listed? I would like to know what
> update-manager will do that aptitude wont so that I can look out for
> the issues those actions address.

I would like such a list myself, for informational purposes. I have
recently seen some rudimentary docs about this, but can't find them
right now. From the top of my head, update-manager does the following:
* Disable third-party repos
* Make sure ubuntu-desktop is installed
* Perform the package upgrades
* Try to minimize the number of configuration file prompts
* Put users into required new groups

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chip in ...