Old 04-29-2008, 03:14 AM
"Gunawan"

Default Virtual Box or Ubuntu?

Dear All,
I have install ubuntu hardy heron as guest operating system on my windows. I
use Virtual Box with NAT.
Strange. I could ping to one external ip address for example my windows have
192.168.11.100.
I could ping successfully to 192.168.11.50 inside my ubuntu but can get
reply from another address.
for example I could not get reply from 192.168.11.55.
Any idea?
Regards,
Gun

Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Derek Broughton

Gunawan wrote:

> Dear All,
> I have install ubuntu hardy heron as guest operating system on my windows.
> I use Virtual Box with NAT.
> Strange. I could ping to one external ip address for example my windows
> have 192.168.11.100.
> I could ping successfully to 192.168.11.50 inside my ubuntu but can get
> reply from another address.
> for example I could not get reply from 192.168.11.55.

192.168.* addresses are, in theory, private and non-routable - this means
that there's no guarantee that you can get from one subnet to another, and
iirc there's no way to make VirtualBox use anything but a 10.* address for
NAT, which means its always on a different subnet from your 192.168 LAN.
In practice, sometimes these addresses _are_ routed, but if you can ping
192.168.11.50, imo you just got lucky.
--
derek

Old 04-29-2008, 01:34 PM
klybear

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:03:23 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

> iirc there's no way to make VirtualBox use anything but a 10.* address
> for NAT

Yeah I really struggled to understand why they set that in stone. As a
new user of Virtual Machines, I feel there must be some obvious reason
for this restriction, but for the life of me I can't it figure out.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Derek Broughton

klybear wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:03:23 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> iirc there's no way to make VirtualBox use anything but a 10.* address
>> for NAT
>
> Yeah I really struggled to understand why they set that in stone. As a
> new user of Virtual Machines, I feel there must be some obvious reason
> for this restriction, but for the life of me I can't it figure out.

Very annoying for me, as I have a satellite uplink that has a cast-in-stone
IP of 192.168.0.1, so my router is set on the same subnet. The uplink is
not open source, so there's no way to fix that. One of these days I'll
find time to start digging into VirtualBox to see if there's any way to
change the IPs.
--
derek

Old 04-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Nils Kassube

Gunawan wrote:
> I have install ubuntu hardy heron as guest operating system on my
> windows. I use Virtual Box with NAT.
> Strange. I could ping to one external ip address for example my windows
> have 192.168.11.100.
> I could ping successfully to 192.168.11.50 inside my ubuntu but can get
> reply from another address.
> for example I could not get reply from 192.168.11.55.

Can you ping 192.168.11.55 from Windows on the host machine? Maybe the
*.55 machine doesn't reply to ping requests?

Nils

Old 04-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Nils Kassube

klybear wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:03:23 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > iirc there's no way to make VirtualBox use anything but a 10.*
> > address for NAT
>
> Yeah I really struggled to understand why they set that in stone. As a
> new user of Virtual Machines, I feel there must be some obvious reason
> for this restriction, but for the life of me I can't it figure out.

IMHO it isn't important to use a specific IP address for NAT inside the
VM. If the VM should be visible to the outside world or if you really care
about the IP address, use bridge mode (Hostinterface) instead of NAT. The
setup is a bit more tricky but you can use any IP address you want.

Nils

Old 04-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Nils Kassube

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Gunawan wrote:
> > Dear All,
> > I have install ubuntu hardy heron as guest operating system on my
> > windows. I use Virtual Box with NAT.
> > Strange. I could ping to one external ip address for example my
> > windows have 192.168.11.100.
> > I could ping successfully to 192.168.11.50 inside my ubuntu but can
> > get reply from another address.
> > for example I could not get reply from 192.168.11.55.
>
> 192.168.* addresses are, in theory, private and non-routable - this
> means that there's no guarantee that you can get from one subnet to
> another

Those addresses are not routable _over the internet_ but within your LAN
they are routable. It depends on your routers if the subnets can see each
other.

OTOH, as we are talking about NAT, we aren't talking about routable. The
ping of the OP is translated from the 10.* address within the VM to the
IP of the host which seems to be 192.168.11.100, i.e. the target machine
sees a ping from the host, which is in the same subnet.

Nils

Old 04-29-2008, 04:03 PM
NoOp

On 04/28/2008 08:14 PM, Gunawan wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have install ubuntu hardy heron as guest operating system on my windows. I
> use Virtual Box with NAT.
> Strange. I could ping to one external ip address for example my windows have
> 192.168.11.100.
> I could ping successfully to 192.168.11.50 inside my ubuntu but can get
> reply from another address.
> for example I could not get reply from 192.168.11.55.
> Any idea?
> Regards,
> Gun

Perhaps these will help:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_HOWTOS
See the links to:
* Host Interface Networking between two Ubuntu VMs on a Vista host
by Gaurav Verma

* Internal Networking between two Ubuntu VMs on a Vista host
by Gaurav Verma

* Migrating from VMware: NAT considerations for Linux guests
by Gaurav Verma

Old 04-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Derek Broughton

Nils Kassube wrote:

> klybear wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:03:23 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> > iirc there's no way to make VirtualBox use anything but a 10.*
>> > address for NAT
>>
>> Yeah I really struggled to understand why they set that in stone. As a
>> new user of Virtual Machines, I feel there must be some obvious reason
>> for this restriction, but for the life of me I can't it figure out.
>
> IMHO it isn't important to use a specific IP address for NAT inside the
> VM. If the VM should be visible to the outside world or if you really care
> about the IP address, use bridge mode (Hostinterface) instead of NAT.

The outside world is _easy_ (with NAT) - it's trying to get at anything else
on your LAN that is practically impossible!

> The
> setup is a bit more tricky but you can use any IP address you want.

That's the understatement of the year. I thought I understood networking at
the expert level - but I'll be damned if I can get a usable network using
bridge mode.
--
derek

Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Derek Broughton

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Gunawan wrote:
>> > Dear All,
>> > I have install ubuntu hardy heron as guest operating system on my
>> > windows. I use Virtual Box with NAT.
>> > Strange. I could ping to one external ip address for example my
>> > windows have 192.168.11.100.
>> > I could ping successfully to 192.168.11.50 inside my ubuntu but can
>> > get reply from another address.
>> > for example I could not get reply from 192.168.11.55.
>>
>> 192.168.* addresses are, in theory, private and non-routable - this
>> means that there's no guarantee that you can get from one subnet to
>> another
>
> Those addresses are not routable _over the internet_ but within your LAN
> they are routable. It depends on your routers if the subnets can see each
> other.

Precisely, which is why I say there's no guarantee.

> OTOH, as we are talking about NAT, we aren't talking about routable. The
> ping of the OP is translated from the 10.* address within the VM to the
> IP of the host which seems to be 192.168.11.100, i.e. the target machine
> sees a ping from the host, which is in the same subnet.

Not the way I see my VirtualBox configured...
--
derek