Old 04-29-2008, 02:40 AM
"michael wilson"

Default How do I uninstall Evolution?

Evolution is very bloated and does groupwise, and a dozen other enterprise type exchange server support.* I want basic, I want thunderbird.

I have tried to uninstall evolution through the package manager, yet if I uninstall too much, ubuntu will not successfully boot, but will hand after I log in.* I search on everything with the name Evolution and if it is installed, I completely uninstall and the package installer suggests dozens of other little things, so I mark those too.

When all these things are removed, ubuntu does not successfully boot.

Installing thunderbird is easy and works great.

Now, I am working in a wubi section.

If I install for real will I get an option to select what is installed?

Thanks
Michael

Old 04-29-2008, 02:48 AM
NoOp

On 04/28/2008 07:40 PM, michael wilson wrote:
> Evolution is very bloated and does groupwise, and a dozen other enterprise
> type exchange server support. I want basic, I want thunderbird.
>
> I have tried to uninstall evolution through the package manager, yet if I
> uninstall too much, ubuntu will not successfully boot, but will hand after I
> log in. I search on everything with the name Evolution and if it is
> installed, I completely uninstall and the package installer suggests dozens
> of other little things, so I mark those too.
>
> When all these things are removed, ubuntu does not successfully boot.
>
> Installing thunderbird is easy and works great.
>
> Now, I am working in a wubi section.
>
> If I install for real will I get an option to select what is installed?
>
> Thanks
> Michael

You know, google is your friend sometimes :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Ubuntu+%2Bhow+to+uninstall+evolutio n

Disclaimer: I've not tried it.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:05 AM
NoOp

On 04/28/2008 07:48 PM, NoOp wrote:

> You know, google is your friend sometimes :-)
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Ubuntu+%2Bhow+to+uninstall+evolutio n
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/13163
>
> Disclaimer: I've not tried it.

Update: I just did using;

sudo apt-get remove evolution

It uninstalled just as stated in 131163. That removes:

evolution evolution-plugins and evolution-exchange

However, it only removes 12.5MB, so you don't gain a whole lot of disk
space by doing so. Unless it is a problem you can just remove the Evo
icon from your panel, and from your Applications menu and forget that it
is there.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:28 AM
Pastor JW

On Monday 28 April 2008 07:40:41 pm michael wilson wrote:
> Evolution is very bloated and does groupwise, and a dozen other enterprise
> type exchange server support. I want basic, I want thunderbird.

I have to agree, it is almost as bloated as a windoze app. I won't open it up
and use KMail instead. Still, they tried to wreak that too but I now bypass
Kontact and use KMail only. In fact when I was told I couldn't use KMail
without Kontact, I went to Claws instead till someone told me how to use only
KMail. If it is not running, does it still use resources?

> I have tried to uninstall evolution through the package manager, yet if I
> uninstall too much, ubuntu will not successfully boot, but will hand after
> I log in. I search on everything with the name Evolution and if it is
> installed, I completely uninstall and the package installer suggests dozens
> of other little things, so I mark those too.

I think since it is integrated into the Gnome desktop environment it can only
be not used rather than deleted as other parts are needed for other apps in
Gnome. As you may have surmised, I personally use the KDE desktop
environment but the problem is much the same. I can't remove Kontact either
without affecting the workings of KDE.

> When all these things are removed, ubuntu does not successfully boot.
>
> Installing thunderbird is easy and works great.
>
> Now, I am working in a wubi section.
>
> If I install for real will I get an option to select what is installed?

Yes to a certain extent, but if you wish to use one of the environments there
is the bit of overhead to contend with. MickySoft would also be so much
better, more powerful, and faster if Windoze could just be dropped and the
DOS underneath used instead. Convenience has its price!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 04-29-2008, 05:14 AM
"michael wilson"

If you go to the package installer and search on evolution you get a list of many things. If you "completely uninstall" everything that is evolution* ubuntu will not boot correctly after you log in.* After you enter your login information the desktop appears but no top and bottom bar.* So evolution cannot be completely uninstalled from the package installer.

The package installer claims to remove 106MB

I guess ubuntu is not that stable after all.* I am up to my 5th clean install tonight trying to get rid of evolution.* Configuring ubuntu is not a quick process so we are up to about 4 hours trying to figure this out.

wow

Michael

Old 04-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 22:14 -0700, michael wilson wrote:
> If you go to the package installer and search on evolution you get a
> list of many things.

27 in my case (searching for package names), 8 of which are installed

> If you "completely uninstall" everything that is evolution* ubuntu
> will not boot correctly after you log in.

Yes, because contrary to what people claim, it is not "bloated" (many
features != bloated). It is split into various parts, some of which are
used by other applications. For example, the panel's calendar applet
reuses the evolution calendar.

> So evolution cannot be completely uninstalled from the package
> installer.

It can, one just needs to know what one is doing

> The package installer claims to remove 106MB

I don't know _what you are uninstalling, but you should only be
uninstalling these, which will, according to my PC, free 116 MB

evolution, evolution-exchange evolution-common, evolution-plugins,
evolution-webcal, openoffice.org-evolution

You should leave evolution-data-server and evolution-data-server-common
installed, as they are used by other parts of the desktop.

As others have suggested, given modern hard disk sizes it is
questionable whether removing it is even worth it, just hide the icon in
the menu. But as you have seen, it is possible.

> I guess ubuntu is not that stable after all. I am up to my 5th clean
> install tonight trying to get rid of evolution. Configuring ubuntu is
> not a quick process so we are up to about 4 hours trying to figure
> this out.

You can hardly blame Ubuntu for stability when it is you who breaks his
box.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:03 AM
John Toliver