Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 AM
"Bob Cortez"

Default Wireless Network Problem 8.04

The network manager kept wanting to append my domain to the user name so it wouldn't connect** .I thought I had that fixed by deleting the domain name, and it worked until I rebooted.* Now I can't even get the network manager to display the wireless network to edit.* I've tried reinstalling it.* I even went as far as completely removing it and installing it fresh from repository, not even from the installation disk.* Wireless worked perfectly in 7.01.* I'm able to access the wireless connection in Vista on the same machine, so that takes hardware out of the equation.

Any ideas?

Old 04-29-2008, 06:04 PM
"Bob Cortez"

No help with this here?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Derek Broughton

Bob Cortez wrote:

> No help with this here?
>
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The network manager kept wanting to append my domain to the user name so
>> it wouldn't connect

Well, no, because the problem as stated makes no sense. Network manager
doesn't even care what your user name is (though it cares about your
hostname - you don't have that set to the same string as your username do
you?)

>> .I thought I had that fixed by deleting the domain
>> name, and it worked until I rebooted.

You also didn't give us any indication how you deleted the domain name. The
only place I can imagine is in resolv.conf - and that clearly tells you
that you can't modify it and Network Manager will rewrite it.

Domain name _should_ be appended to your host name, but you don't (usually)
_set_ your domain name - your DHCP server sends it to your DHCP client
which puts it into resolv.conf

>> Now I can't even get the network
>> manager to display the wireless network to edit. I've tried reinstalling
>> it. I even went as far as completely removing it and installing it fresh
>> from repository, not even from the installation disk.

The most likely reason for that is that if you have now configured it
in /etc/network/interfaces (if you did it through the system control panel,
that's what you did) and Network Manager explicitly ignores those.
--
derek

Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 PM
"Bob Cortez"

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Bob Cortez wrote:

> No help with this here?

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The network manager kept wanting to append my domain to the user name so

>> it wouldn't connect

Well, no, because the problem as stated makes no sense. *Network manager

doesn't even care what your user name is (though it cares about your

hostname - you don't have that set to the same string as your username do

you?)
I'm sorry, I'm fairly new to this.* Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Host name is MysticVentures-laptop
User name is MysticVentures
Domain is cortez-ross.

In Network settings>General Tab if I enter the domain name above then close network settings, when I open it up again the domain is appended to the host name >127.0.1.1* MysticVentures-Laptop.cortez-ross.* I can go to the properties and delete the .cortez-ross from the host alias, but when I close and reopen Net Work manage, cortez-ross is still appended.* The only way to remove it is to leave the domain field blank.* I hope that makes sense now.

>> .I thought I had that fixed by deleting the domain

>> name, and it worked until I rebooted.

You also didn't give us any indication how you deleted the domain name. *The

only place I can imagine is in resolv.conf - and that clearly tells you

that you can't modify it and Network Manager will rewrite it.

Domain name _should_ be appended to your host name, but you don't (usually)

_set_ your domain name - your DHCP server sends it to your DHCP client

which puts it into resolv.conf
I didn't edit the resolv.conf file.* The only place that I have changed the domain is in the network manager interface as described above.

>> Now I can't even get the network

>> manager to display the wireless network to edit. *I've tried reinstalling

>> it. *I even went as far as completely removing it and installing it fresh

>> from repository, not even from the installation disk.

The most likely reason for that is that if you have now configured it

in /etc/network/interfaces (if you did it through the system control panel,

that's what you did) and Network Manager explicitly ignores those.

--

derek
I don't know if this provides any clues that may help find out how I've messed this up.

mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ hostname -a
hostname: Unknown host
mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ hostname -s

hostname: Unknown host
mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ hostname -d
hostname: Unknown host
mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ hostname -f
hostname: Unknown host
mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ hostname

mysticventures-laptop
mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ uname -n
mysticventures-laptop
mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ sudo gedit /etc/hostname
sudo: unable to resolve host mysticventures-laptop

mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
sudo: unable to resolve host mysticventures-laptop

contents of* /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Bottom line is how can I get the Wireless option back to the Network Manager interface.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Bob
*

Old 04-30-2008, 12:27 AM
NoOp

On 04/29/2008 02:12 PM, Bob Cortez wrote:

> I'm sorry, I'm fairly new to this. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
>
> Host name is MysticVentures-laptop
> User name is MysticVentures
> Domain is cortez-ross.
>
> In Network settings>General Tab if I enter the domain name above then close
> network settings, when I open it up again the domain is appended to the host
> name >127.0.1.1 MysticVentures-Laptop.cortez-ross. I can go to the
> properties and delete the .cortez-ross from the host alias, but when I close
> and reopen Net Work manage, cortez-ross is still appended. The only way to
> remove it is to leave the domain field blank. I hope that makes sense now.

OK, that does make sense. It's an irritation of the NM. Try this (from a
terminal Applications|Accessories|Terminal):

gksu gedit /etc hosts

edit the 127.0.0.1 127.0.1.1 lines:

127.0.0.1 localhost MysticVentures-Laptop.cortez-ross
127.0.1.1 MysticVentures-Laptop

save and exit the editor.

While still in the terminal:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

and now you should be OK. Try your connections.

Reboot to see if the settings stick; when you log back in, open a
terminal and enter:

cat /etc/hosts

and see if they are as above.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Derek Broughton

Bob Cortez wrote:

> Host name is MysticVentures-laptop
> User name is MysticVentures
> Domain is cortez-ross.
>
> In Network settings>General Tab if I enter the domain name above then
> close network settings, when I open it up again the domain is appended to
> the host
> name >127.0.1.1 MysticVentures-Laptop.cortez-ross.

Well, of course this is going to be a problem. Host names shouldn't contain
special characters (though a hyphen is unlikely to cause any problems), and
neither should domain names - but this isn't a valid domain name. Why do
you have it?

> I can go to the
> properties and delete the .cortez-ross from the host alias, but when I
> close
> and reopen Net Work manage, cortez-ross is still appended. The only way
> remove it is to leave the domain field blank. I hope that makes sense
> now.

_That_ part already made sense - as I said, network manager doesn't set the
domain, usually DHCP does, but

>> You also didn't give us any indication how you deleted the domain name.
>> The
>> only place I can imagine is in resolv.conf - and that clearly tells you
>> that you can't modify it and Network Manager will rewrite it.
>>
>> Domain name _should_ be appended to your host name, but you don't
>> (usually)
>> _set_ your domain name - your DHCP server sends it to your DHCP client
>> which puts it into resolv.conf
>

> I didn't edit the resolv.conf file. The only place that I have changed
> the domain is in the network manager interface as described above.

But where did it come from in the first place?

>> The most likely reason for that is that if you have now configured it
>> in /etc/network/interfaces (if you did it through the system control
>> panel, that's what you did) and Network Manager explicitly ignores those.

> I don't know if this provides any clues that may help find out how I've
> messed this up.
>
> mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ hostname -a
> hostname: Unknown host
> mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ hostname -s
> hostname: Unknown host

That just means you don't currently have a network connection (can't look up
the DNS, anyway)

> contents of /etc/network/interfaces
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback

OK, that's what it should look like.

Try: sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart

With any luck that will at least reset the wireless kernel module so that
you see the wireless device in network manager. if the device shows, but
no networks do, try: iwlist scan
--
derek

Old 04-30-2008, 01:49 AM
"Bob Cortez"

On 04/29/2008 02:12 PM, Bob Cortez wrote:

> I'm sorry, I'm fairly new to this. *Thanks for taking the time to respond.

> Host name is MysticVentures-laptop

> User name is MysticVentures

> Domain is cortez-ross.

> In Network settings>General Tab if I enter the domain name above then close

> network settings, when I open it up again the domain is appended to the host

> name >127.0.1.1 *MysticVentures-Laptop.cortez-ross. *I can go to the

> properties and delete the .cortez-ross from the host alias, but when I close

> and reopen Net Work manage, cortez-ross is still appended. *The only way to

> remove it is to leave the domain field blank. *I hope that makes sense now.

OK, that does make sense. It's an irritation of the NM. Try this (from a

terminal Applications|Accessories|Terminal):

gksu gedit /etc hosts

edit the 127.0.0.1 127.0.1.1 lines:

127.0.0.1 *localhost MysticVentures-Laptop.cortez-ross

127.0.1.1 *MysticVentures-Laptop

save and exit the editor.

While still in the terminal:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

and now you should be OK. Try your connections.

Reboot to see if the settings stick; when you log back in, open a

terminal and enter:

cat /etc/hosts

and see if they are as above.
Here's the results.

mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost mysticventures-laptop.cortez-ross

127.0.1.1 mysticventures-laptop

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes

ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

still no wireless option in Network Manger.

Any other ideas?* Thanks for the help.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:07 AM
NoOp

On 04/29/2008 06:49 PM, Bob Cortez wrote:

> Here's the results.
>
> mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost mysticventures-laptop.cortez-ross
> 127.0.1.1 mysticventures-laptop

> ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
>
> still no wireless option in Network Manger.
>
> Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

Sorry, I fail miserably in the wireless department... Others on this
list are better at answering those questions. But at least your
/etc/hosts file is correct now and hopefully will stick :-)

Old 04-30-2008, 02:17 AM
"Bob Cortez"

On 04/29/2008 06:49 PM, Bob Cortez wrote:

> Here's the results.

> mysticventures@mysticventures-laptop:~$ cat /etc/hosts

> 127.0.0.1 localhost mysticventures-laptop.cortez-ross

> 127.0.1.1 mysticventures-laptop

> ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

> fe00::0 ip6-localnet

> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix

> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes

> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

> still no wireless option in Network Manger.

> Any other ideas? *Thanks for the help.

Sorry, I fail miserably in the wireless department... Others on this

list are better at answering those questions. But at least your

/etc/hosts file is correct now and hopefully will stick :-)

I appreciate your effort... and yes it did stick after a reboot.

Thanks

Bob