Old 04-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Josef Wolf

Default Where to find foomatic-filters-ppds?

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 02:00:14PM -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
> The package you require are looking for is foomatic-filters, however,
> given that it is an HP printer, I think hplip should work fine - it is
> provided and maintained by HP themselves...
>
> Both of these are installed by default however, so I'm not sure what the
> issue might be there...

Thanks for the answer, Francis. Unfortunately, I don't get it:
neither foomatic-filters nor hplip contains any ppd files.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Francis Earl

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 23:51 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 02:00:14PM -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
> > The package you require are looking for is foomatic-filters, however,
> > given that it is an HP printer, I think hplip should work fine - it is
> > provided and maintained by HP themselves...
> >
> > Both of these are installed by default however, so I'm not sure what the
> > issue might be there...
>
> Thanks for the answer, Francis. Unfortunately, I don't get it:
> neither foomatic-filters nor hplip contains any ppd files.

I believe they were all moved to 'openprinting.org-ppds' - which could
potentially have caused the issues you're experiencing.

OpenPrinting.org is part of the Linux foundation, and they're trying to
make the situation much better, so I'd recommend filing bugs, and seeing
if it is an issue that Ubuntu has introduced by merging them...

Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 22:47 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With the default ppd files coming with ubuntu, I get a very bad
> quality on my HP LJ-4M.
>
> OTOH, I get very good quality on my suse box with the
> LaserJet_4M-Postscript.ppd. According to rpmsearch, this ppd
> is available for ubuntu in the
> foomatic-filters-ppds_20040506-1ubuntu1_all.deb package. But
>
> apt-get install foomatic-filters-ppds
>
> says it can't find this package.
>
> I have enabled universe, multiverse and restricted.
>
> Any hints?

In synaptic package manager, they are either openprinting-ppds,
openprinting-ppds-extra.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Josef Wolf

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 04:34:26AM -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 23:51 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 02:00:14PM -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
> > > The package you require are looking for is foomatic-filters, however,
> > > given that it is an HP printer, I think hplip should work fine - it is
> > > provided and maintained by HP themselves...
> > >
> > > Both of these are installed by default however, so I'm not sure what the
> > > issue might be there...
> >
> > Thanks for the answer, Francis. Unfortunately, I don't get it:
> > neither foomatic-filters nor hplip contains any ppd files.
>
> I believe they were all moved to 'openprinting.org-ppds' - which could
> potentially have caused the issues you're experiencing.

It is openprinting-ppds. With HP_Laserjet_4.ppd from this package, I get
much better results. But the field to select the paper type is grayed
out and "Letter" is selected by default. Again, with suse's
HP_Laserjet_4.ppd, I can select "A4" paper size.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:04 AM
NoOp

http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/all/foomatic-filters-ppds/filelist

>> I believe they were all moved to 'openprinting.org-ppds' - which could
>> potentially have caused the issues you're experiencing.
>
> It is openprinting-ppds. With HP_Laserjet_4.ppd from this package, I get
> much better results. But the field to select the paper type is grayed
> out and "Letter" is selected by default. Again, with suse's
> HP_Laserjet_4.ppd, I can select "A4" paper size.

Did you have problems downloading the ppd from the package that I
pointed you to?

Did you copy the suse ppd over and use that as suggested as an alternate?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Josef Wolf

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 06:04:06PM -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 04/29/2008 01:43 PM, Josef Wolf wrote:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/all/foomatic-filters-ppds/filelist
>
> >> I believe they were all moved to 'openprinting.org-ppds' - which could
> >> potentially have caused the issues you're experiencing.
> >
> > It is openprinting-ppds. With HP_Laserjet_4.ppd from this package, I get
> > much better results. But the field to select the paper type is grayed
> > out and "Letter" is selected by default. Again, with suse's
> > HP_Laserjet_4.ppd, I can select "A4" paper size.
>
> Did you have problems downloading the ppd from the package that I
> pointed you to?
>
> Did you copy the suse ppd over and use that as suggested as an alternate?

No, I did

apt-get install openprinting-ppds
lpadmin -p LaserJet4m
-v socket://ps-7968be
-E
-o PageSize=A4
-o Resolution=600dpi
-o PrintoutMode=High
-m /usr/share/ppd/openprinting/HP/HP_LaserJet_4.ppd.gz

Old 05-02-2008, 09:04 AM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"