Old 04-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Sam Przyswa

Default Install 8.04 over a previous 7.10

Hi,

Is it possible to install the last 8.04 over a previous 7.10 and keep
the Users desktops and apps, I never been lucky with the apt-get
dist-upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Sam.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Rich Rudnick

Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to install the last 8.04 over a previous 7.10 and keep
> the Users desktops and apps, I never been lucky with the apt-get
> dist-upgrade.

I did this once in debian, before I started using a separate home
partition. What I did was:

1. create a /data dir, and moved my home folder contents over
2. manually deleted all other directories from the partition
3. did a normal install, telling the partitioner to _not_ format the
disk.
4. Once the install was done, moved my files back into the new home.
5. Did a chown -R me:me /home/me , since the uid had changed

Of course, you should probably do a backup of home, repartition the
drive so you have a separate /home partition, then restore the backup
after the install. You'll never run into this problem again.

rich

Old 04-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 23:38 +0200, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> I never been lucky with the apt-get
> dist-upgrade.

Just FYI, "apt-get dist-upgrade" is not the recommended upgrade method,
and hasn't been for a while. http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Old 04-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Sam Przyswa

Le mardi 29 avril 2008 à 02:08 +0200, Mario Vukelic a écrit :
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 23:38 +0200, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> > I never been lucky with the apt-get
> > dist-upgrade.
>
> Just FYI, "apt-get dist-upgrade" is not the recommended upgrade method,
> and hasn't been for a while. http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Argh... I got a message in Update Manager that a new "8.04 LTS" is
available, what is the difference between 8.04 and 8.04 LTS ?

Thanks for your help.

Sam.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Kipton Moravec

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 02:08 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 23:38 +0200, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> > I never been lucky with the apt-get
> > dist-upgrade.
>
> Just FYI, "apt-get dist-upgrade" is not the recommended upgrade method,
> and hasn't been for a while. http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

I looked at the page and it says:

Upgrade from 6.06 LTS to 8.04 LTS
This section describes how to perform 6.06 LTS -> 8.04 LTS upgrades.

Network upgrade for Ubuntu desktops (recommended)
1. Make sure the "dapper-updates" software channel is enabled.

2. Be sure that you have all updates applied before you upgrade.

3. Press Alt-F2 and type gksu "update-manager -d"

I do not have any idea what the "dapper-updates" software channel is or
how to enable it.

As far as I know I have all the updates. Whenever it tells me there is an update I update it.

Kip
--
Kipton Moravec KE5NGX
"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Old 04-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 02:23 +0200, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Argh... I got a message in Update Manager that a new "8.04 LTS" is
> available, what is the difference between 8.04 and 8.04 LTS ?

That's fine, there is no difference. Ubuntu has a regular release every
6 months, and a release with "Long Term Support" in greater intervals.
It's just that 8.04 is an LTS, in contrast to 6.10, 7.04, and 7.10
before it. The previous LTS was 6.06.

LTS means that there will be guaranteed updates for security and grave
issues for 3 years for Desktop packages, and 5 years for Server.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 19:25 -0500, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> I do not have any idea what the "dapper-updates" software channel is
> or how to enable it.
> As far as I know I have all the updates. Whenever it tells me there is
> an update I update it.

dapper-updates is a special software repository (channel). Ubuntu
promises that functionality does not change after release. Sometimes,
however, Ubuntu would like to push important updates for software
problems or, like in this case, updates that are needed for a smooth
upgrade. To give administrator the choice about applying them, these
updates are separated into their own channel.

Navigate to "System" > "Administration" > "Software Properties" and make
sure that dapper-updates is enabled there.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:22 AM
NoOp

On 04/28/2008 05:57 PM, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 19:25 -0500, Kipton Moravec wrote:
>> I do not have any idea what the "dapper-updates" software channel is
>> or how to enable it.
>> As far as I know I have all the updates. Whenever it tells me there is
>> an update I update it.
>
> dapper-updates is a special software repository (channel). Ubuntu
> promises that functionality does not change after release. Sometimes,
> however, Ubuntu would like to push important updates for software
> problems or, like in this case, updates that are needed for a smooth
> upgrade. ?To give administrator the choice about applying them, these
> updates are separated into their own channel.
>
> Navigate to "System" > "Administration" > "Software Properties" and make
> sure that dapper-updates is enabled there.

I suspect that it is more to do with ensuring that the next step works
properly:

"Be sure that you have all updates applied before you upgrade."

But then there is no basic instruction to do so, such as:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

or System|Administration|Update Manger

I do find it interesting that the recommendation is to upgrade via the
network:

Upgrade from 6.06 LTS to 8.04 LTS

This section describes how to perform 6.06 LTS -> 8.04 LTS upgrades.
Network upgrade for Ubuntu desktops (recommended)
?

Seems to me that doing so has a much larger margin for failure,
particularly with the onslaught of users attempting to upgrade from
overloades servers on release day(s), and _always_ server timeouts
errors on those days.

Personally, I'd recommend upgrading from the alternate CD, and then
downloading the remaining fixes/updates following the basic/bulk
conversion. Then again, perhaps there is something in
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/dapper-updates/ that is
immediately needed that is not on the CD.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:40 AM
Sam Przyswa

Le mardi 29 avril 2008 à 02:49 +0200, Mario Vukelic a écrit :
> On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 02:23 +0200, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> > Argh... I got a message in Update Manager that a new "8.04 LTS" is
> > available, what is the difference between 8.04 and 8.04 LTS ?
>
> That's fine, there is no difference. Ubuntu has a regular release every
> 6 months, and a release with "Long Term Support" in greater intervals.
> It's just that 8.04 is an LTS, in contrast to 6.10, 7.04, and 7.10
> before it. The previous LTS was 6.06.
>
> LTS means that there will be guaranteed updates for security and grave
> issues for 3 years for Desktop packages, and 5 years for Server.

Ok, thanks a lot.

Sam.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 18:22 -0700, NoOp wrote:

> I suspect that it is more to do with ensuring that the next step works
> properly

Well yeah, it is to do with ensuring that the release upgrade works. I
didn't mean to say anything to the contrary

The update-manager itself needs to be updated (with specific info for
the release upgrade) before doing the release upgrade, and this happens
via dapper-updates