Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 PM
heath bunting

Default kernel panic

hello

i am trying to install ubuntu 8.0 64 on a AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core 5000+
processor system

i get a kernel panic as soon as i sellect install ubuntu option

http://irational.org/heath/ubuntu/kernel_panic.jpg

any suggestions ?

many thanks

heath

Old 04-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Karl Larsen

heath bunting wrote:
> hello
>
> i am trying to install ubuntu 8.0 64 on a AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core 5000+
> processor system
>
> i get a kernel panic as soon as i sellect install ubuntu option
>
> http://irational.org/heath/ubuntu/kernel_panic.jpg
>
> any suggestions ?
>
> many thanks
>
> heath

Hard to tell what your doing. Do you have a 64 bit liveCD that runs
fine until you tell it to install, or is it something else?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Ryan Nichols

I am very very new to the linux world.. I am having problems with
CentOS5.1 with kernel panics. I belive the cause of the kernel panics
are a software that I am running on the machine, but I cannot find any
information as to what the system was doing prior to the crash, i have
looked in the /var/log/messaging to no solution. I guess what I am
asking is what do i need to turn on for when this kernel crash comes
again? It happens with in hours or days of running this software, it is
random and sudden.

Thanks,
Ryan Nichols

Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 PM
"nate"

Ryan Nichols wrote:
> I am very very new to the linux world.. I am having problems with
> CentOS5.1 with kernel panics. I belive the cause of the kernel panics
> are a software that I am running on the machine, but I cannot find any
> information as to what the system was doing prior to the crash, i have
> looked in the /var/log/messaging to no solution. I guess what I am
> asking is what do i need to turn on for when this kernel crash comes
> again? It happens with in hours or days of running this software, it is
> random and sudden.

Easiest I have found is configure the system to use serial console and
connect a system to the console. When the system panics it will output
the panic to the console which you can then copy/paste to a file and
post to a mailing list or support forum for help.

nate

Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 PM
"Åge Vårdal"

Can someone help me with this error that occured after trying to upgrade my xubuntu laptop yesterday evening:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

--
Åge :-)

Åge Vårdal
N-4163 Talgje
Mob.: 0047 41 27 41 63

www.fe-wo.no
http://talgjenytt.blogspot.com/
http://ghananyttfraage.blogspot.com/

Old 11-12-2008, 08:52 PM
"ross smith"

Hello,

Try going into the boot menu and selecting either the newest kernel with (recovery mode) or the next newest kernel and see what it gives you.* I've had issues with acpi and the new kernel, but going back a version solved it until they release a new version.

-Ross

Old 12-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Olivier Deckers

Hello,

I have a machine running debian in text-only mode, and I am having a lot
of kernel panics lately, while downloading torrent files with rtorrent.
An image with the screen dump can be found at
http://users.telenet.be/olivierdeckers/kpanic.jpg
I have no idea what I can do about it, and I would appreciate any help
because this machine is also used as a server.

Many thanks in advance,
olivier

Old 12-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

Olivier Deckers wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a machine running debian in text-only mode, and I am having a lot
> of kernel panics lately, while downloading torrent files with rtorrent.
> An image with the screen dump can be found at
> http://users.telenet.be/olivierdeckers/kpanic.jpg
> I have no idea what I can do about it, and I would appreciate any help
> because this machine is also used as a server.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> olivier

why not trying newer kernel?

regards

Old 12-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Olivier Deckers

Is it possible to update the kernel with default options? Because I have
no idea what modules should be included in the new kernel.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

Olivier Deckers wrote:

> Is it possible to update the kernel with default options? Because I have
> no idea what modules should be included in the new kernel.
>
> Emanoil Kotsev schreef:
>> Olivier Deckers wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a machine running debian in text-only mode, and I am having a lot
>>> of kernel panics lately, while downloading torrent files with rtorrent.
>>> An image with the screen dump can be found at
>>> http://users.telenet.be/olivierdeckers/kpanic.jpg
>>> I have no idea what I can do about it, and I would appreciate any help
>>> because this machine is also used as a server.
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance,
>>> olivier
>>>

>> why not trying newer kernel?
>>
>> regards

I would try first the stock debian kernel like 2.6.26.
If it is not working you may keep and fall back to your current 2.6.18.
I think that the bug might be resolved in recent kernel version.

regards