Old 04-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Adam McGreggor

Default gnome-terminal, URIs, & focus stealing

'ello.

This really follows from my bug-report,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/221152 --
as I'm fairly sure I saw a similar report with either Edgy or Feisty,
but am lacking the fu to find it (there are only so many regexps I can
throw at mboxgrep).

Does anyone here remember a fix to it (I don't think it needed patching,
but it may have done), the short summary is:

links in gnome-terminal ('g-t') used to open in browser, but keep g-t
in focus -- at least under gutsy.

since upgrading to hardy, i've noticed my browser steals the focus. A
quick downgrade of 'gnome-terminal-data' and 'gnome-terminal' doesn't
fix it, so i suspect the problem's in a dependency or something else.

'Anyone remember the previous remedy/incident? Has anyone got a link to
the mail from when it came up last time?

TIA,

Old 04-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:51:51PM +0100, Adam McGreggor wrote:
> 'ello.
>
> This really follows from my bug-report,
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/221152 --
> as I'm fairly sure I saw a similar report with either Edgy or Feisty,
> but am lacking the fu to find it (there are only so many regexps I can
> throw at mboxgrep).
>
> Does anyone here remember a fix to it (I don't think it needed patching,
> but it may have done), the short summary is:
>
> links in gnome-terminal ('g-t') used to open in browser, but keep g-t
> in focus -- at least under gutsy.
>
> since upgrading to hardy, i've noticed my browser steals the focus. A
> quick downgrade of 'gnome-terminal-data' and 'gnome-terminal' doesn't
> fix it, so i suspect the problem's in a dependency or something else.

The focus stealing is a matter between the browser and the window
manager. Gnome-terminal is an innocent third party.

> 'Anyone remember the previous remedy/incident? Has anyone got a link to
> the mail from when it came up last time?

No.

IIRC metacity has a setting in gconf somewhere, where it lets you change
the focus stealing policy. I don't remember if Compiz also has
something like that.

Marius Gedminas
--
Microsoft's entry in this cavalcade of horrors is Universal Plug and Play
(UPnP). This is a protocol that allows [...] an end-user system to request a

Old 04-29-2008, 06:05 PM
"Michael R. Head"

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 20:31 +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > 'Anyone remember the previous remedy/incident? Has anyone got a link to
> > the mail from when it came up last time?
>
> No.
>
> IIRC metacity has a setting in gconf somewhere, where it lets you change
> the focus stealing policy. I don't remember if Compiz also has
> something like that.

Metacity: use gconf-editor to tweak "focus_new_windows"
in /apps/metacity/general (it can be "strict" or "smart")

Compiz: Install the CompizConfig control panel (it's in
compizconfig-settings-manager) and go to
General Options/Focus & Raise Behavior/Focus Prevention Level, which can
be Off, Low, High, or Very High

mike

--
Michael R. Head <burner@suppressingfire.org>