Old 04-28-2008, 05:17 PM
PleegWat

Default Nvidia driver problem after Gutsy => Hardy upgrade

Hi,

I've got a nvidia 6600 series graphics card, which has always needed
some fiddling to get to work with the nvidia binary drivers. This time
round however, I don't seem to be able to get it to work at all.

The xorg.conf below works fine with nv, but when I replace 'nv' with
'nvidia', it won't work. I've tried both the nvidia-glx and
nvidia-glx-new drivers. The hardware driver screen suggests the latter.

PleegWat

--- Start xorg.conf ---
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Wed Jun 13
18:39:30 PDT 2007

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf(5) manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
screen "Default Screen" 0 0
Inputdevice "Generic Keyboard"
Inputdevice "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# path to defoma fonts
Fontpath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
Fontpath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
Fontpath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
Fontpath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
Fontpath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
Fontpath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
Fontpath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
Fontpath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "bitmap"
Load "ddc"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Horizsync 28.0 - 64.0
Vertrefresh 43.0 - 60.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Generic Video Card"
Driver "nv"
Screen 0
Busid "PCI:4:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Generic Video Card"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768"
"800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection
--- end xorg.conf ---

Old 04-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 19:17 +0200, PleegWat wrote:
> I've got a nvidia 6600 series graphics card, which has always needed
> some fiddling to get to work with the nvidia binary drivers. This time
> round however, I don't seem to be able to get it to work at all.
>
> The xorg.conf below works fine with nv, but when I replace 'nv' with
> 'nvidia', it won't work. I've tried both the nvidia-glx and
> nvidia-glx-new drivers. The hardware driver screen suggests the
> latter.

I think you should try to run with a minimal xorg.conf, as is the
default with X 4.3 in hardy.

First, rename your existing xorg.conf. I don't know if X will create a
new minimal one automatically on restart, but doubt it. Well, probably
it will start in failsafe mode and let you configure your display with
the GUI tool. However, it's probably better to run "sudo
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" after the renaming. Restart X.

If it doesn't work, rename your old conffile back to xorg.conf and
restart X again.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 19:29 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> If it doesn't work, rename your old conffile back to xorg.conf and
> restart X again.

I guess I don't have to tell you that when fiddling with xorg.conf you
can end up without a graphical display at all and should be prepared to
run the needed commands from the text terminal.

But just as a warning

Old 04-28-2008, 05:49 PM
"Ilya Vishnyakov"

Please see this thread (there is solution)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/173
418

"For those of you having problems with the nvidia restricted driver
either crashing X or displaying a black screen with Ubuntu 8.04 use the
latest nvidia beta driver found on the nvidia website it is version
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run. I am running the Quadro NVS 140M on a
Dell D830 and this fixed my problem. The driver can be found here
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html and then click on archive and
find the 173.08 driver.

Here are the steps:
1. Purge the nvidia restricted package if installed by doing a "dpkg
--purge nvidia-glx-new"
2. Kill the gdm server, "/etc/init.d/gdm stop"
3. Install the driver mentioned above.
4. start gdm server "/etc/init.d/gdm start"
When X starts you should now see the nvidia logo with the the words beta
in red. If you don't edit you xorg.conf file and replace nv with nvidia
and restart X."

I've got a nvidia 6600 series graphics card, which has always needed
some fiddling to get to work with the nvidia binary drivers. This time
round however, I don't seem to be able to get it to work at all.

The xorg.conf below works fine with nv, but when I replace 'nv' with
'nvidia', it won't work. I've tried both the nvidia-glx and
nvidia-glx-new drivers. The hardware driver screen suggests the latter.

PleegWat

No luck. The beta driver installs correctly, and when I load the kernel
module manually (modprobe nvidia) it loads successfully. However, X
won't run with it.
I also tried using dpkg to regenerate xorg.conf, but the resulting
xorg.conf loads NV.

Modifying that file to force nvidia results in an X that won't start.

In that thread someone also suggested removing the nvidia-kernel-common
package. I've considered that before, but some packages depended on it
that looked important. On a second look, most of those were dummy, so I
removed the package. However that didn't help.

I've attached 3 xorg.0.log and 2 xorg.conf files:
- ,big: The first one, with the nvidia-generated altered version of the
xorg.conf I started with

- ,small: After I recreated the xorg.conf with dpkg
- ,no-common: After I removed the nvidia-kernel-common package.
xorg.conf for this one is the same as ,small

If the list scrubs them, but you're interested in them, I can probably
put them up somewhere.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Karl Larsen

Ilya Vishnyakov wrote:
> Please see this thread (there is solution)
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/173
> 418
>
> "For those of you having problems with the nvidia restricted driver
> either crashing X or displaying a black screen with Ubuntu 8.04 use the
> latest nvidia beta driver found on the nvidia website it is version
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run. I am running the Quadro NVS 140M on a
> Dell D830 and this fixed my problem. The driver can be found here
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html and then click on archive and
> find the 173.08 driver.
>
> Here are the steps:
> 1. Purge the nvidia restricted package if installed by doing a "dpkg
> --purge nvidia-glx-new"
> 2. Kill the gdm server, "/etc/init.d/gdm stop"
> 3. Install the driver mentioned above.
> 4. start gdm server "/etc/init.d/gdm start"
> When X starts you should now see the nvidia logo with the the words beta
> in red. If you don't edit you xorg.conf file and replace nv with nvidia
> and restart X."

Your making a big error if you do this. Forget the trying to fix
what Ubuntu nVidia did to your system. Put nVidia in Google and get the
proper driver for your version of Linux and then do this.

Remember where you saved the nVidia file. Then in a Terminal do this:

$ sudo init 1

When it asks for your password give it.
You will drop to init level 1.

Now go to the directory with driver. There do this:

$ sudo sh NVIDIA tab and the thing will start running. It will complain
about init 1. Tell it to continue. It complains about other things but
keep telling it to continue. When done reboot and you will have a great
looking Desktop!

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Karl Larsen

PleegWat wrote:
> Ilya Vishnyakov wrote:
>> Please see this thread (there is solution)
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/173
>> 418
>>
>> "For those of you having problems with the nvidia restricted driver
>> either crashing X or displaying a black screen with Ubuntu 8.04 use the
>> latest nvidia beta driver found on the nvidia website it is version
>> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run. I am running the Quadro NVS 140M on a
>> Dell D830 and this fixed my problem. The driver can be found here
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html and then click on archive and
>> find the 173.08 driver.
>>
>> Here are the steps:
>> 1. Purge the nvidia restricted package if installed by doing a "dpkg
>> --purge nvidia-glx-new"
>> 2. Kill the gdm server, "/etc/init.d/gdm stop"
>> 3. Install the driver mentioned above.
>> 4. start gdm server "/etc/init.d/gdm start"
>> When X starts you should now see the nvidia logo with the the words beta
>> in red. If you don't edit you xorg.conf file and replace nv with nvidia
>> and restart X."

Guys I have been using the nVidia drivers for a year now. If you
read what it does it writes a kernel driver, writes a new xorg.conf and
saves the old one, and replaces a couple of other files.

If you reboot you should have to do NOTHING!! You will see a rich
brown Desktop and all will be working fine.

Here is my xorg.conf now:

karl@karl-desktop:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Thu Feb 14
18:20:37 PST 2008

# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"

# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
# InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
# InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
# InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen" 0 0
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "stylus"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "eraser"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
Option "Type" "eraser"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "cursor"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
Option "Type" "cursor"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
HorizSync 28.0 - 64.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 60.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation C51G [GeForce 6100]"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "nVidia Corporation C51G [GeForce 6100]"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600"
"720x400" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

karl@karl-desktop:~$

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 04-28-2008, 10:21 PM
"Ilya Vishnyakov"

Not that easy. After Ugrade to 8.04, my Nvidia
7600 gt doesn’t show up in the “Hardware drivers”. The bug that is… As I
noticed these steps fixed my issue:

Get the driver from nvidia.com site, then:

1. Purge the nvidia
restricted package if installed by doing a "dpkg

--purge nvidia-glx-new"

2. Kill the gdm server,
"/etc/init.d/gdm stop"

3. Install the driver
mentioned above.

4. start gdm server
"/etc/init.d/gdm start"

When X starts you should now
see the nvidia logo with the the words

beta in red. If you don't
edit you xorg.conf file and replace nv with

nvidia and restart X."

*

*

user technical support,not for general discussions

Subject: Re: Nvidia driver problem
after Gutsy => Hardy upgrade

*

In the Administration menu, there is "Hardware drivers" where u can
enable the nvidia driver.

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 19:17 +0200, PleegWat wrote:

*Hi,*I've got a nvidia 6600 series graphics card, which has always needed some fiddling to get to work with the nvidia binary drivers. This time round however, I don't seem to be able to get it to work at all.*The xorg.conf below works fine with nv, but when I replace 'nv' with 'nvidia', it won't work. I've tried both the nvidia-glx and nvidia-glx-new drivers. The hardware driver screen suggests the latter.*PleegWat**--- Start xorg.conf ---# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig# nvidia-xconfig:* version 1.0* (buildmeister@builder3)* Wed Jun 13 18:39:30 PDT 2007*# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)## This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using# values from the debconf database.## Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf(5) manual page.# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)## This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg# package.## If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated# again, run the following command:#** sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg*Section "ServerLayout"*** Identifier*** "Default Layout"* screen "Default Screen" 0 0*** Inputdevice*** "Generic Keyboard"*** Inputdevice*** "Configured Mouse"EndSection*Section "Files"** ****# path to defoma fonts*** Fontpath*** "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"*** Fontpath*** "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"*** Fontpath*** "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"*** Fontpath*** "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"*** Fontpath*** "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"*** Fontpath*** "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"*** Fontpath*** "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"*** Fontpath*** "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"EndSection*Section "Module"*** Load******* "bitmap"*** Load******* "ddc"*** Load******* "extmod"*** Load******* "freetype"*** Load******* "glx"*** Load******* "int10"*** Load******* "vbe"EndSection*Section "InputDevice"*** Identifier*** "Generic Keyboard"*** Driver******* "kbd"*** Option******* "CoreKeyboard"*** Option******* "XkbRules"*** "xorg"*** Option******* "XkbModel"*** "pc104"*** Option******* "XkbLayout"*** "us"EndSection*Section "InputDevice"*** Identifier ***"Configured Mouse"*** Driver******* "mouse"*** Option******* "CorePointer"*** Option******* "Device"*** "/dev/input/mice"*** Option******* "Protocol"*** "ImPS/2"*** Option******* "ZAxisMapping"*** "4 5"EndSection*Section "Monitor"*** Identifier ***"Generic Monitor"*** Horizsync*** 28.0*** -*** 64.0*** Vertrefresh*** 43.0*** -*** 60.0*** Option******* "DPMS"EndSection*Section "Device"*** Identifier*** "Generic Video Card"*** Driver******* "nv"*** Screen*** 0*** Busid******* "PCI:4:0:0"EndSection*Section "Screen"*** Identifier*** "Default Screen"*** Device******* "Generic Video Card"*** Monitor******* "Generic Monitor"*** Defaultdepth*** 24*** SubSection "Display"******* Depth*** 1******* Modes******* "1280x1024"*** "1280x960"** *"1024x768"*** "800x600"*** "640x480"*** EndSubSection*** SubSection "Display"******* Depth*** 4******* Modes******* "1280x1024"*** "1280x960"*** "1024x768"*** "800x600"*** "640x480"*** EndSubSection*** SubSection "Display"******* Depth*** 8**** ***Modes******* "1280x1024"*** "1280x960"*** "1024x768"*** "800x600"*** "640x480"*** EndSubSection*** SubSection "Display"******* Depth*** 15******* Modes******* "1280x1024"*** "1280x960"*** "1024x768"*** "800x600"*** "640x480"*** EndSubSection*** SubSection "Display"******* Depth*** 16******* Modes******* "1280x1024"*** "1280x960"*** "1024x768"*** "800x600"*** "640x480"*** EndSubSection*** SubSection "Display"******* Depth*** 24******* Modes******* "1280x1024"*** "1280x960"*** "1024x768"*** "800x600"*** "640x480"*** EndSubSectionEndSection--- end xorg.conf ---*-- ubuntu-users mailing listubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.comModify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Old 04-29-2008, 06:02 AM
PleegWat

Karl Larsen wrote:
> PleegWat wrote:
>
>> Ilya Vishnyakov wrote:
>>
>>> Please see this thread (there is solution)
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/173
>>> 418
>>>
>>> "For those of you having problems with the nvidia restricted driver
>>> either crashing X or displaying a black screen with Ubuntu 8.04 use the
>>> latest nvidia beta driver found on the nvidia website it is version
>>> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run. I am running the Quadro NVS 140M on a
>>> Dell D830 and this fixed my problem. The driver can be found here
>>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html and then click on archive and
>>> find the 173.08 driver.
>>>
>>> Here are the steps:
>>> 1. Purge the nvidia restricted package if installed by doing a "dpkg
>>> --purge nvidia-glx-new"
>>> 2. Kill the gdm server, "/etc/init.d/gdm stop"
>>> 3. Install the driver mentioned above.
>>> 4. start gdm server "/etc/init.d/gdm start"
>>> When X starts you should now see the nvidia logo with the the words beta
>>> in red. If you don't edit you xorg.conf file and replace nv with nvidia
>>> and restart X."

Alas, it doesn't seem to be that simple. I've tried an unmodified
xorg.conf for the first try after installing the driver, but that didn't
work. I've tried having nvidia remodify it after rebuilding it with dpkg
as well, without any luck.

I suspect I may have some leftover bits from earlier attempts (as well
as those on gutsy/feisty) bothering me. I'll look into that some more
when I get back from work this afternoon.