Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 PM
R Kimber

Default 8.04 OpenOffice

Is anyone else having problems with OpenOffice? I have the metapackage
installed, and the Sun 6 java, yet when I try to use the wizard to
create a new document it tells that the selected jre is defective and
that I should install openoffice.org-java-common - but I have this
already.

I also opened an old template and found the font had been changed.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 04-28-2008, 05:24 PM
John Toliver

Is anyone else having problems with OpenOffice? I have the metapackage
installed, and the Sun 6 java, yet when I try to use the wizard to
create a new document it tells that the selected jre is defective and
that I should install openoffice.org-java-common - but I have this
already.

Yes.* It's got something to do with your profile.* the .openoffice.org2 folder in your /home directory.* Make a backup of your /home/.openoffice.org profile and then completely reinstall openoffice and let it create a new generic profile.* Once you do that, it shouldn't give you a problem.* Don't waste your time trying to fix your java installation as I don't think that was ever the problem and I ran into the same problem you did a few days ago.

I also opened an old template and found the font had been changed.

Well, before doing anything drastic, open the template and change it back to the one it's supposed to be and then see if the changes remain.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Patience yields far greater results than brute force or rage ever could so relax......it's just life !!!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Serge Skorokhodov

Hi,

> Is anyone else having problems with OpenOffice? I have the metapackage
> installed, and the Sun 6 java, yet when I try to use the wizard to
> create a new document it tells that the selected jre is defective and
> that I should install openoffice.org-java-common - but I have this
> already.

Are the packages openoffice.org-java-* installed?
openoffice.org-java-common in the first place?

--
The fish that is singing in Ucayali river...

Old 04-28-2008, 06:39 PM
NoOp

On 04/28/2008 10:00 AM, R Kimber wrote:
> Is anyone else having problems with OpenOffice? I have the metapackage
> installed, and the Sun 6 java, yet when I try to use the wizard to
> create a new document it tells that the selected jre is defective and
> that I should install openoffice.org-java-common - but I have this
> already.
>
> I also opened an old template and found the font had been changed.
>
> - Richard.

In your old profile, go to:

/home/<user>/.openoffice.org2/user/config

Rename: javasettings_Linux_x86.xml
x-javasettings_Linux_x86.xml-x

Restart OOo then reset your java settings:

Tools|Options|OpenOffice.org|Java

And as Serge pointed out:

openoffice.org-java-* installed?
openoffice.org-java-common in the first place?

make sure those are installed as they may not have been installed by
default. Or just:

sudo apt-get install openoffice.org-evolution

and they will get installed in the process - see:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/93546/comments/31
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/93546/comments/32

Old 04-28-2008, 10:26 PM
R Kimber

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:24:21 -0400
John Toliver wrote:

> Yes. It's got something to do with your profile.
> the .openoffice.org2 folder in your /home directory. Make a backup of
> your /home/.openoffice.org profile and then completely reinstall
> openoffice and let it create a new generic profile. Once you do that,
> it shouldn't give you a problem. Don't waste your time trying to fix
> your java installation as I don't think that was ever the problem and
> I ran into the same problem you did a few days ago.

Thanks for the advice. Reinstalling sorted it.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 PM
John Toliver

Thanks for the advice. Reinstalling sorted it.

An once that is done, look for the goodies in your profile that you might want to keep like templates and "biblio.odb" if you used the bibliography manager etc and simply place them in the folder structure in the new profile.* You shouldn't have to do all this but hey it could be worse..........

- Richard