Old 04-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Mario Vukelic

Default recompile kernel on hardy heron 8.04

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 10:47 +0000, Arthur wrote:
> has any bodyone recompiled kernel on hardy ? how did it go ? any
> documentation for that ?

Should be the same as in previous versions. Documentation here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

Old 04-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Shannon McMackin

Arthur wrote:
> has any bodyone recompiled kernel on hardy ? how did it go ? any
> documentation for that ?

I've found the Master Kernel thread in ubuntuforums.org to be very
helpful. I build a tuxonice patched kernel from the project's git tree
everytime a new release comes out.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Arthur

Why do you think the kernel build process would be any different ?
thanks for your reply.

I had no idea whether it changed or not, but ofcourse i had to know so i wrote to the list.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Michael Sotnikov

Hello!

Mario Vukelic:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 10:47 +0000, Arthur wrote:
> Should be the same as in previous versions. Documentation here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

I've tried to compile last kernel (linux_2.6.24-18.32) following this guide.

When I invoke build for i386-general with command:
AUTOBUILD=1 NOEXTRAS=1 fakeroot debian/rules binary-generic

I get next errors:
LD .tmp_vmlinux1
kernel/built-in.o: In function `timespec_add_ns':
/home/astar/bldtmp/linux-2.6.24/include/linux/time.h:177: undefined
reference to `__umoddi3'
/home/astar/bldtmp/linux-2.6.24/include/linux/time.h:177: undefined
reference to `__udivdi3'
kernel/built-in.o: In function `timespec_add_ns':
/home/astar/bldtmp/linux-2.6.24/kernel/time/timekeeping.c:127: undefined
reference to `__udivdi3'
/home/astar/bldtmp/linux-2.6.24/kernel/time/timekeeping.c:127: undefined
reference to `__umoddi3'
kernel/built-in.o: In function `timespec_add_ns':
/home/astar/bldtmp/linux-2.6.24/include/linux/time.h:177: undefined
reference to `__umoddi3'

After taking a look to kernel sources I found out that these symbols
defined only in some non-x86 arches.

my gcc: gcc version 4.3.0 (Ubuntu 4.3.0-1ubuntu1)

What do I do wrong?
Should I prefer kernel-source package?

I raised topic on forum with it:

Thanks.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 00:50 +0900, Michael Sotnikov wrote:
> What do I do wrong?

I have no clue about your build errors, it's been years since I needed
to build a kernel.

> Should I prefer kernel-source package?

This totally depends on what you want to achieve. If you are happy with
the shipped kernel in general but just want to change a few options,
then it is certainly better to use the linux-source package, as it is
well-tested and you will have the same kernel as shipped, just with the
changed things.

If, however, you want to play with the newest kernel or need features
that are only in the newest kernel, then you have no choice but to use
the source from kernel.org. However, you should be aware that Linus does
not consider kernel.org sources stable and production-ready anymore.
This job is left to the distributions, nowadays.