Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 AM
"Soper, AK (Alan)"

Default Welcome to the "ubuntu-users" mailing list

I have Ubuntu 7.10 installed on a Dell Inspiron 530. Using Update
manager I checked the machine is fully up to date. I have used several
different mirror sites, but none of them give the option of upgrading to
8.04. Is there any reason for this? How do I get the upgrade?

Alan S

Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Gerald Dachs

Quoting "Soper, AK (Alan)" <A.K.Soper@rl.ac.uk>:

> I have Ubuntu 7.10 installed on a Dell Inspiron 530. Using Update
> manager I checked the machine is fully up to date. I have used several
> different mirror sites, but none of them give the option of upgrading to
> 8.04. Is there any reason for this? How do I get the upgrade?
>
> Alan S

You are too lazy to create a new mail with a good subject for you first post
to the list.
You are so stupid that you use for you first post the subscription mail from
the ubuntu list with you password. Currently I am logged in to you account,
but I think I can resist to manipulate it. Not sure what others will do.
You are top posting.
Not sure whether you would understand the answers you will get here for your
problem.

Gerald

Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 AM
William Hammond

At 03:51 AM 4/28/2008, you wrote:
>Quoting "Soper, AK (Alan)" <A.K.Soper@rl.ac.uk>:
>
> > I have Ubuntu 7.10 installed on a Dell Inspiron 530. Using Update
> > manager I checked the machine is fully up to date. I have used several
> > different mirror sites, but none of them give the option of upgrading to
> > 8.04. Is there any reason for this? How do I get the upgrade?
> >
> > Alan S
>
>You are too lazy to create a new mail with a good subject for you first post
>to the list.
>You are so stupid that you use for you first post the subscription mail from
>the ubuntu list with you password. Currently I am logged in to you account,
>but I think I can resist to manipulate it. Not sure what others will do.
>You are top posting.
>Not sure whether you would understand the answers you will get here for your
>problem.
>
>Gerald

Gerald -

Is this supposed to be an example of the warmth and compassion of the
Ubuntu Community to new users.

There was a time when you made your very first post on a mailing
list, and at some point someone had
to inform you of the etiquette of bottom posting. Ignorance of a
system is not stupidity...

Offer a helping hand, not flames....

William -

Old 04-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Steve Cook

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 09:54 +0100, Soper, AK (Alan) wrote:
> I have Ubuntu 7.10 installed on a Dell Inspiron 530. Using Update
> manager I checked the machine is fully up to date. I have used several
> different mirror sites, but none of them give the option of upgrading to
> 8.04. Is there any reason for this? How do I get the upgrade?
>
> Alan S

Have you clicked the 'check' button?

Steve

Old 04-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Res

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Gerald Dachs wrote:

> You are too lazy to create a new mail with a good subject for you first post
> to the list.
> You are so stupid that you use for you first post the subscription mail from
> the ubuntu list with you password. Currently I am logged in to you account,
> but I think I can resist to manipulate it. Not sure what others will do.
> You are top posting.
> Not sure whether you would understand the answers you will get here for your
> problem.
>
> Gerald

and rather than help you just generate NOISE, oh wait, you've been
recorded on lists for being a troll, so its not surprising.

--
Cheers
Res

I read usenet and lists in pine. But m$ outlook, thunderbird and gmail
often use html span/whatever for quotes, makes it hard to tell who said
what, so I dont try. If I ignore you, thats why! Use a compliant mailer.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Jay M

This is also a reason why people shy away from the OSS community. Acting like this towards a new user is not needed in the slightest. Mistakes can be made by anyone, anywhere at anytime. Such a shame.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Clayton

> > the Ubuntu Code of Conduct, and observe its guidelines when sending
> > messages to the list.
> >
> > http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/conduct/document_view
> >
> > To post to this list, send your email to:
> >
> > ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

(snipped the rest)

A kind word of advice Alan... since you (inadvertently) forwarded your
confirmation email to the entire list, you exposed your password to
the world. This message cannot be recalled or deleted, and it will be
archived in several places around the world for a very long time. I
would really recommend that you change the password you use on this
mailing list as soon as possible. I would also encourage you to
change this password anywhere else you may use it (many people use the
same password everywhere).

When you want to send a message to the mailing list, please start a
new message with a new topic. Do not reply to an old one and just
change the topic. The confirmation message that you received lets you
know what email address you should use to send messages to the list.

To answer your question, the upgrade process is well documented, and
can be found here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

C.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:29 AM
John Toliver

You are too lazy to create a new mail with a good subject for you first post
to the list.
You are so stupid that you use for you first post the subscription mail from
the ubuntu list with you password. Currently I am logged in to you account,
but I think I can resist to manipulate it. Not sure what others will do.
You are top posting.
Not sure whether you would understand the answers you will get here for your
problem.

Gerald

Think back to a time when you did something that made you look like an ass and someone chose instead of kicking you while you were down to simply correct.* Obviously being the intellectual giant that you are this has never happened, but try to condescend to the level of the smaller people.* This is the kind of arrogance that turns people off from OSS and Linux in general and while this may not interest you, perhaps it should as the more persons take interest in the software inveriably the better it should become..... to not sure you would understand that though.

Patience yields far greater results than brute force or rage ever could so relax......it's just life !!!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
steve

Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Jay M

I am trying to access shared directories on my vista premium box from heron. I know the issues with gvfs and attempting to mount a share from nautilus. but when I try to work on it from command line i issue first the command to show available shares

smbclient -L vista_box

i get prompted for a password i enter my password (same on vista as is on heron) and get given back this.

session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

what am i missing?