Old 04-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Mario Vukelic

Default Portrait mode

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 04:57 +0000, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
> I'm considering buying a monitor in the not too distant future, but I
> would like to be able to switch between landscape and portrait mode. Can
> Ubuntu do this?

Ubuntu 8.04 can, yes. The Rotate button is in System > Preferences >
Screen Resolution.

> How do I find out which monitors are compatible with
> this?

I don't think it's a question of the monitor, but whether the graphics
card supports it. The screen rotation in Ubuntu is done via the new
xrandr extension of the X Window System, which needs driver support.

Most newer graphics drivers should support it: Intel, the proprietary
one for Nvidia, and the proprietary one for ATi (for which I can confirm
it)

> In addition, I will be attaching this monitor to my laptop, a Dell
> 1420n. Should I be concerned about getting it to work here?

Check the graphics chip it has
If you google for screen+rotate+ubuntu, you will find quite many hits
with additional information.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:35 AM
"Kenneth P. Turvey"

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:51:28 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> Ubuntu 8.04 can, yes. The Rotate button is in System > Preferences >
> Screen Resolution.
[snip]

I just checked it out. Thanks. Is this really the place for it though?
I mean it really has nothing to do with the screen resolution. I was
looking around elsewhere.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com>

Old 04-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 08:35 +0000, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
> I mean it really has nothing to do with the screen resolution

I agree that it is a bid weird. OTOH, it /does/ change the resolution,
e.g., from 1280x1024 to 1024x1280, does it not?

Old 04-28-2008, 04:32 PM
"Kenneth P. Turvey"

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:30:48 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 08:35 +0000, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
>> I mean it really has nothing to do with the screen resolution
>
> I agree that it is a bid weird. OTOH, it /does/ change the resolution,
> e.g., from 1280x1024 to 1024x1280, does it not?

Hmm. I suppose that is one way to look at it.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com>