Old 04-28-2008, 05:26 AM
Dave M G

Default Running FireFox 2 and 3 on the same machine

Ubuntu Users,

I like the new FireFox 3 that comes as the default browser on Ubuntu
Hardy Heron.

However, I have some add ons that I need for work (Zend toolbar, Web
Developer toolbar) that are not yet compatible with FireFox version 3.

I used Synaptic to download FireFox version 2, and I can run it.

However, even though I can run version 2, the add-ons that are not
compatible with version 3 are now incompatible with version 2 as well. I
suspect this has something to do with the fact that versions 2 and 3 are
sharing some configuration or profile settings.

Can I get version 2 to be more independent from the version 3 settings?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G

Old 04-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Dave M G wrote:
> Ubuntu Users,
>
> I like the new FireFox 3 that comes as the default browser on Ubuntu
> Hardy Heron.
>
> However, I have some add ons that I need for work (Zend toolbar, Web
> Developer toolbar) that are not yet compatible with FireFox version 3.
>
> I used Synaptic to download FireFox version 2, and I can run it.
>
> However, even though I can run version 2, the add-ons that are not
> compatible with version 3 are now incompatible with version 2 as well. I
> suspect this has something to do with the fact that versions 2 and 3 are
> sharing some configuration or profile settings.
>
> Can I get version 2 to be more independent from the version 3 settings?
>
> Thank you for any advice.

I suggest you not running Firefox 2 stable and Firefox 3 Beta together.

Instructions follow on how to uninstall Firefox 3 Beta:

OS: Ubuntu 8.04 after a fresh clean installation, otherwise backup your
Firefox/SeaMonkey bookmarks first.

How to migrate to stable firefox 2.0.0.x (currently 2.0.0.14) from
firefox 3 Beta, until firefox 3 final becomes available.

1. i) Run System::Administration::Synaptic Package Manager.

ii) Press the Search button and type firefox.

iii) By selecting the "Mark for complete removal" boxes, uninstall
the "firefox", "firefox-3.0" and its dependencies packages.

iv) Install "firefox-2" and "firefox-2-gnome-support" packages.

2. Delete the .mozilla directory under your home directory (in my case
/home/john). If you are using nautilus, activate the View::Show Hidden
Files menu item, to do this.

3. Restart Ubuntu 8.04.

Now Firefox 2.0.0.x (currently 2.0.0.14) is ready to be used from the
menu Applications::Internet.

If it doesn't run at the first attempt, press Alt-F2 and type firefox-2
and press Run.

If anyone has any problems, reply to this message.