Old 04-26-2008, 11:35 PM

Default Start up Problems

Hello
I am an absolute newbie to Linux. The ability to make a dual boot system
with Winxp convinced me to give hardy heron a try.

The installation went well until the log-in screen came up.
In short I cannot log-in to the default setting (run xclient scripts). I
can log into fail-safe Gnome, or fail-safe terminal.

Anyone have any ideas???

Old 04-28-2008, 03:27 AM
Alex Janssen

jlsmith722@comcast.net said the following on 04/26/2008 07:35 PM:
> Hello
> I am an absolute newbie to Linux. The ability to make a dual boot system
> with Winxp convinced me to give hardy heron a try.
>
> The installation went well until the log-in screen came up.
> In short I cannot log-in to the default setting (run xclient scripts). I
> can log into fail-safe Gnome, or fail-safe terminal.
>
> Anyone have any ideas???

If it were me, I'd reinstall the system. Did you run md5sum on the iso
image and check against the published checksum before burning and run
the CD self checker before installing to make sure you had good images?
An install can seem to go ok with a bad image, but run flakey.

Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
If money could talk, it would say good-bye. - My Wallet (224)

Old 04-28-2008, 07:01 PM
NoOp

On 04/26/2008 04:35 PM, jlsmith722@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello
> I am an absolute newbie to Linux. The ability to make a dual boot system
> with Winxp convinced me to give hardy heron a try.
>
> The installation went well until the log-in screen came up.
> In short I cannot log-in to the default setting (run xclient scripts). I
> can log into fail-safe Gnome, or fail-safe terminal.
>
> Anyone have any ideas???

Any change, or are you still experiencing the problem.

I Will be helpful if you can provide some details regarding the machine
that you are installing on:

- brand/cpu/memory/video
- how you installed: liveCD? Alternate CD?

When you log in using failsafe Gnome, open a terminal
(Applications|Accessories|Terminal) and enter the following commands:

cd Documents
lshw > lshwjlsmith.txt

You can now view the file in the Documents directory. Attach the
contents & post back here. If you have problems attaching, just copy and
paste. That will list all of your hardware and provide enough info to help.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:05 PM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

I download updates the other day, and since then when I start Hardy neither the sound card nor the wireless adapter work.* When I load in safe mode (or whatever it is called) and use the second such option (I think it ends in '19') and go thru all the recovery steps, Hardy works fine.

Any suggestions?*

Thanks

Gary

Old 10-24-2008, 10:46 AM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

hardy no longer loads correctly.* Neither the sound card nor the wireless card activate.* When I load in repair mode, and follow all the steps, everything is fine.* Someone said it sounds like kernel's modules are screwed. *

Any suggestions?*

Thanks

Gary

Old 10-24-2008, 07:18 PM
NoOp

On 10/24/2008 03:46 AM, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> hardy no longer loads correctly. Neither the sound card nor the wireless
> card activate. When I load in repair mode, and follow all the steps,
> everything is fine. Someone said it sounds like kernel's modules are
> screwed.

You'll need to provide more details before anyone can help you.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:26 AM
"Amit Joshi"

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:48 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 10/24/2008 03:46 AM, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> hardy no longer loads correctly. *Neither the sound card nor the wireless

> card activate. *When I load in repair mode, and follow all the steps,

> everything is fine. *Someone said it sounds like kernel's modules are

> screwed.

You'll need to provide more details before anyone can help you.

...such as what exactly happened before it stopped working 'correctly'. Did you do an upgrade? Did you accidentally delete some files?

>When I load in repair mode, and follow all the steps,

> everything is fine.

Would that be the recovery mode? What steps did you follow?

Amit Joshi

Old 11-01-2008, 09:36 AM
"Gary Kirkpatrick"

There was an upgrade.* I did not delete any files.* When I start using recovery mode and just repair the xserver, ubuntu will then start normally.* Sorry been gone and no computer access for a while.

Thanks

Gary