Old 04-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Harold Hartley

Default wireless networking in ubuntu 8.04

I am running ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Latitude D800 under Gnome.
I have my wireless working just fine, but I have to redo my settings
everytime I boot up.
I'd like to know if there is something I can do so I don't have to redo
the setting for my wireless each time I boot.

I'd like to know what network tools are out there under gnome that will
display all the wireless networks within my network.

Harold

Old 04-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Peter Smerdon

Harold Hartley <harold_hartley@verizon.net> writes:

> I am running ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Latitude D800 under Gnome.
> I have my wireless working just fine, but I have to redo my settings
> everytime I boot up.
> I'd like to know if there is something I can do so I don't have to redo
> the setting for my wireless each time I boot.
>
> I'd like to know what network tools are out there under gnome that will
> display all the wireless networks within my network.
>
> Harold

Hi Harold,

The default software for Gnome should be an application called
`NetworkManager'

install network-manager-gnome if you do not already have it installed,
run the program nm-applet as a user to load it into your gnome panel.

--

Peter.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Shannon McMackin

Harold Hartley wrote:
> I am running ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Latitude D800 under Gnome.
> I have my wireless working just fine, but I have to redo my settings
> everytime I boot up.
> I'd like to know if there is something I can do so I don't have to redo
> the setting for my wireless each time I boot.
>
> I'd like to know what network tools are out there under gnome that will
> display all the wireless networks within my network.
>
> Harold

Either NetworkManager which is the default, but it doesn't always
display all networks as it depends on the radio actually finding them.
WICD is a side project that does the same thing but requires a bit of
hacking to put together...