Old 04-27-2008, 08:05 PM
"Robert Stockdale IV"

Default Ubuntu 8.04 LTS upgrade from 7.10 fails

I have Ubuntu Studio 7.10 installed on my workstation. When I go to upgrade to 8.04 LTS I get the error message:

Could not calculate the upgrade

A unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade.

*This can be caused by:
** Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
** Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
** Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

If
none of this applies, then please report this bug against the
'update-manager' package and include the files in
/var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bugreport.

I do have ĻUnofficial software packages not provided by UbuntuĻ**
however, I donīt see how that should be an issue. If those packages
donīt work after the upgrade then I will be required to reinstall them.
It should not prevent me from using the upgrade tool to upgrade my
system. It would be nice if there was a warning about this and an
option to proceed or cancel the upgrade.

Bob

Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 17:05:18 Robert Stockdale IV wrote:

> I do have ĻUnofficial software packages not provided by UbuntuĻ
> however, I donīt see how that should be an issue. If those packages
> donīt work after the upgrade then I will be required to reinstall them.
> It should not prevent me from using the upgrade tool to upgrade my
> system.

It's not so simple, as you have already noticed. If the packages you
installed didn't create dependency problems, things would go as smooth as
you expected, however this looks like it's not the case for you. The
upgrade process can only predict results based on what packages it knows,
and that's official packages only.

You didn't state which packages you installed from 3rd party repos, so
it's impossible to tell what the problem is exactly, but I think you
should remove them, and reinstall them after the upgrade.

> It would be nice if there was a warning about this and an
> option to proceed or cancel the upgrade.

I believe there *is* a warning about unnoficial repos, but I'm sure what
it does when you already have installed unofficial packages. It should be
a fairly complex situation to deal with, automatically, because you could
install an unofficial version of a package provided (say, a backport, or
a locally generated package).

regards
FF

Old 04-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Steve Cook

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 16:05 -0400, Robert Stockdale IV wrote:
> I have Ubuntu Studio 7.10 installed on my workstation. When I go to
> upgrade to 8.04 LTS I get the error message:
>
> Could not calculate the upgrade
>
> A unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade.
>
> This can be caused by:
> * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
> * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
> * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu
>
> If none of this applies, then please report this bug against the
> 'update-manager' package and include the files
> in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bugreport.
>
> I do have ĻUnofficial software packages not provided by UbuntuĻ
> however, I donīt see how that should be an issue. If those packages
> donīt work after the upgrade then I will be required to reinstall
> them. It should not prevent me from using the upgrade tool to upgrade
> my system. It would be nice if there was a warning about this and an
> option to proceed or cancel the upgrade.
> Bob

Hi Bob,
I got a similar error message on one machine and resolved it on one
machine by running

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get clean

before upgrading to 8.04.

I haven't solved it on the other machine mind you.

SteVe

Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 PM
"Robert Stockdale IV"

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 17:05:18 Robert Stockdale IV wrote:

> I do have ĻUnofficial software packages not provided by UbuntuĻ

> however, I donīt see how that should be an issue. If those packages

> donīt work after the upgrade then I will be required to reinstall them.

> It should not prevent me from using the upgrade tool to upgrade my

> system.

It's not so simple, as you have already noticed. If the packages you

installed didn't create dependency problems, things would go as smooth as

you expected, however this looks like it's not the case for you. The

upgrade process can only predict results based on what packages it knows,

and that's official packages only.

You didn't state which packages you installed from 3rd party repos, so

it's impossible to tell what the problem is exactly, but I think you

should remove them, and reinstall them after the upgrade.
If I could remember which ones were which, then it might not be such a problem. I know most of them are Stock Market Charting programs and then there are the multimedia installs from medibuntu. There might even be one or two programs compiled from source code. Is there a way to find this out? Is there a program or script that can be run to locate what is not supported?

*

> It would be nice if there was a warning about this and an

> option to proceed or cancel the upgrade.

I believe there *is* a warning about unnoficial repos, but I'm sure what

it does when you already have installed unofficial packages.
The only thing it gives is that it has disabled the 3rd party repos from the source.list file. This is fine. The problem is that it cannot calculate the upgrade.* I feel it should only calculate the supported packages and leave everything else as it is, or warn that program x may not work after this upgrade.

* It should be

a fairly complex situation to deal with, automatically, because you could

install an unofficial version of a package provided (say, a backport, or

a locally generated package).
My point is that Ubuntu is rock solid. I want to upgrade Ubuntu. If it breaks a third party program, so be it. I can reinstall something that gets broken or remove it if it wonīt* work. It should not stop me from upgrading the OS.* Additionally, I should not have to wipe out my current set up and reinstall from a CD/DVD from scratch just to upgrade to the next release just because I needed some programs that Ubuntu dosenīt support.

regards

FF

Thank you for your input and for listening to mine.
Bob

Old 04-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

On Mon 28 Apr 2008 18:33:07 Robert Stockdale IV wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Felipe Figueiredo <philsf79@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > On Sun 27 Apr 2008 17:05:18 Robert Stockdale IV wrote:
> > > I do have ĻUnofficial software packages not provided by UbuntuĻ
> > > however, I donīt see how that should be an issue. If those packages
> > > donīt work after the upgrade then I will be required to reinstall
> > > them. It should not prevent me from using the upgrade tool to
> > > upgrade my system.
> >
> > It's not so simple, as you have already noticed. If the packages you
> > installed didn't create dependency problems, things would go as
> > smooth as you expected, however this looks like it's not the case for
> > you. The upgrade process can only predict results based on what
> > packages it knows, and that's official packages only.
> >
> > You didn't state which packages you installed from 3rd party repos,
> > so it's impossible to tell what the problem is exactly, but I think
> > you should remove them, and reinstall them after the upgrade.
>
> If I could remember which ones were which, then it might not be such a
> problem. I know most of them are Stock Market Charting programs and
> then there are the multimedia installs from medibuntu. There might even
> be one or two programs compiled from source code. Is there a way to
> find this out? Is there a program or script that can be run to locate
> what is not supported?

It tuns out, this is the easiest part. In System> Administration> Synaptic
you can sort packages in many ways. When you sort by 'Origin' you can see
from exactly what unnoficial repos the packages came from, or 'Local', if
they are not linked to any available repo.

> > > It would be nice if there was a warning about this and an
> > > option to proceed or cancel the upgrade.
> >
> > I believe there *is* a warning about unnoficial repos, but I'm sure
> > what it does when you already have installed unofficial packages.

I mean "I'm not sure what it does" above.

> The only thing it gives is that it has disabled the 3rd party repos
> from the source.list file. This is fine. The problem is that it cannot
> calculate the upgrade. I feel it should only calculate the supported
> packages and leave everything else as it is, or warn that program x may
> not work after this upgrade.
>
> > It should be
> > a fairly complex situation to deal with, automatically, because you
> > could install an unofficial version of a package provided (say, a
> > backport, or a locally generated package).
>
> My point is that Ubuntu is rock solid. I want to upgrade Ubuntu. If it
> breaks a third party program, so be it. I can reinstall something that
> gets broken or remove it if it wonīt work. It should not stop me from
> upgrading the OS. Additionally, I should not have to wipe out my
> current set up and reinstall from a CD/DVD from scratch just to upgrade
> to the next release just because I needed some programs that Ubuntu
> dosenīt support.

I understand what you mean, but you are assuming that the third part
programs are somehow seen by the system as "different". They are not.
Once the package is installed, it's in the same pool as every other, and
has basically the same priority as any other in dependecy resolution -
unless you state otherwise explicitly in apt.conf, or equivalent. This is
one of the many reasons why people shouldn't install third party
applications unless they really need it, or they know what they're doing,
either from unnoficcial repos, or directly.

This is why I recommended you manage these after the upgrade. If you can't
install them then, you'll be able to deal with this situation with more
precise information regarding dependecies (versions, packages, etc).

Hope this helps.
FF

Old 04-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Montag, den 28.04.2008, 17:33 -0400 schrieb Robert Stockdale IV:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Felipe Figueiredo
> <philsf79@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I could remember which ones were which, then it might not be such a
> problem. I know most of them are Stock Market Charting programs and
> then there are the multimedia installs from medibuntu. There might
> even be one or two programs compiled from source code. Is there a way
> to find this out? Is there a program or script that can be run to
> locate what is not supported?

so imagine one of your packages installed from a 3rd party repo or one
of the apps you compiled yourself into packages have a fixed dependency
on libYXZ-123 .... that lib was available in this version in gutsy, the
third party packages were built against that lib and the packages have a
dependency on exactly this version ...

... now there is only libXYZ-223 in hardy libXYZ is an essential package
and cant be installed in different versions twice at the same time
without the 223 version packages in hardy will break ...

...the third party packages forcefully try to keep version 123 while the
hardy packages all try to forcefully pull in version 223...

the upgrade would break the system in either way, so update-manager
tells you it cant do it.
the best chance you have is to wait with the upgrade until your third
party maintainers have updated their code or at least rebuilt their
packages to the hardy versions.

there is nothing you can do from the ubuntu side for this problem but
suggesting to people to not use third part repos or to nag the
maintainers of these repos enough that they update their packages.

ciao
oli

Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 AM
matt wilkie

Hi Bob,

I ran into the same message as you, and the same disheartening answer, that
one or more of the dozen or so 3rd party apps I've installed is causing the
problem but that there is no way to know which one it is. Fortunately in my
case that turned out not to be true. There is a logfile:
/var/log/dist-upgrade/main-log. In there I discovered the precisely what
went wrong:

2008-05-03 22:13:39,777 DEBUG The package 'nvidia-glx-new' is marked for
removal but it's in the removal blacklist
2008-05-03 22:14:02,990 ERROR Dist-upgrade failed: 'An essential package
would have to be removed'

One single package, which I've had problems with before, and know how to
remove and reinstall. Getting rid of that one program is a lot better
prospect than blindly uninstalling from a long list of "say, you're not from
around here are you?" suspicious suspects.

cheers,

-matt

Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 AM
"Robert Stockdale IV"

[...]

Thank you for the info. I'll try to remember that if I have trouble the next time. I did and do have the proprietary nVidia driver installed. I ended up installing 8.04 from DVD.
Bob