Old 04-27-2008, 07:36 PM
"OOzy Pal"

Default Upgrade to 8.04

Hello,

I have download the iso for 8.04 to be used for my desktop. My laptop
has Gusty. How can I upgrade to 8.04 with needing to download the
update again?

--
OOzy
Ubuntu-Gutsy (7.10)

Old 04-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Alex Janssen

OOzy Pal said the following on 04/27/2008 03:36 PM:
> Hello,
>
> I have download the iso for 8.04 to be used for my desktop. My laptop
> has Gusty. How can I upgrade to 8.04 with needing to download the
> update again?

I think you can add the CD to the Software Sources from the
System->Admin menu.

--
Ourwoods.org
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was yesterday? - Bernard Lavander (227)

Old 04-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 16:36:20 OOzy Pal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have download the iso for 8.04 to be used for my desktop. My laptop
> has Gusty. How can I upgrade to 8.04 with needing to download the
> update again?

IIRC in gutsy you could already just insert the disc, and it would be
scanned for packages and an upgrade would be suggested. It should be that
simple in Hardy as well, but I haven't finished torrenting the iso.

regards
FF

Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 17:35 -0300, Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> IIRC in gutsy you could already just insert the disc, and it would be
> scanned for packages and an upgrade would be suggested.

Yes, but only the Alternate CD, not the Desktop CD

Old 04-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 18:04:54 Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 17:35 -0300, Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> > IIRC in gutsy you could already just insert the disc, and it would be
> > scanned for packages and an upgrade would be suggested.
>
> Yes, but only the Alternate CD, not the Desktop CD

Right. I forgot to mention I usually use the DVD disc, so I get the best
of both words, but I see why this is so.

regards
FF

Old 04-28-2008, 01:18 AM
Alex Janssen

Mario Vukelic said the following on 04/27/2008 05:04 PM:
> On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 17:35 -0300, Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
>
>> IIRC in gutsy you could already just insert the disc, and it would be
>> scanned for packages and an upgrade would be suggested.
>>

> Yes, but only the Alternate CD, not the Desktop CD

You cannot manually add the desktop CD to sources as I suggested earlier?

--
Ourwoods.org
If money could talk, it would say good-bye. - My Wallet (224)

Old 04-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 21:18 -0400, Alex Janssen wrote:
> You cannot manually add the desktop CD to sources as I suggested
> earlier?

I don't know about that, maybe yes, maybe no. I was just commenting on
Felipe's statement, "in gutsy you could already just insert the disc,
and it would be scanned for packages and an upgrade would be suggested"
which, AFAIK, only works with Alternate.

The upgrade notes don't mention the Desktop CD either:
<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#head-7311a7de9fdf1ca310c6937460c0a9d33f54279d>

Old 04-28-2008, 01:32 PM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

>I have download the iso for 8.04 to be used for my desktop. My laptop
has Gusty. How can I upgrade to 8.04 with needing to download the
update again?

Use offline Synaptic . See :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware#head-14060f8896fc0efa378412ca379a89c8c332da14

Regards.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:18 PM
David Vincent

Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 AM
"OOzy Pal"

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:18 PM, David Vincent
<dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:

Hmm, I did download the Desktop iso. But let me ask a question. I have
installed the 8.04 in my Desktop. Now, can't I copy all the .deb file
from my desktop "/var/cache/apt/archives" to my laptop. Then, I start
the upgrade by modifying the sources.list file?

--
OOzy
Ubuntu-Gutsy (7.10)