Old 04-27-2008, 06:25 PM
bbbb

Default Hardy freezes with Firefox Dell X200

Fresh install of Hardy. Firefox 3.0b5 all Ubuntu updates.
Dell X200 Laptop. 512 ram, latest BIOS
I am trying to get Hardy to be stable to take this small laptop on a
trip but at this point it is unreliable.
The laptop freezes. The screen is there but the mouse pointer frozen and
the only button that works is the off switch.
It seems to happen only when Firefox is running. I left it on all night
with Thunderbird running and had no problems
this morning. When I started using Firefox the problem came back. Once
while searching a website in Firefox, once
while trying to add a printer. Once while trying to print from Firefox.
Each time required a restart.
Other than being a little slow, 800mhz, it seems to be working fine
until it locks up.
I just installed Opera and have been using it for about an hour with no
lockup but would prefer Firefox.

Where do I start?
Thanks,
Bradley

Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Alex Janssen

bbbb said the following on 04/27/2008 02:25 PM:
> Fresh install of Hardy. Firefox 3.0b5 all Ubuntu updates.
> Dell X200 Laptop. 512 ram, latest BIOS
> I am trying to get Hardy to be stable to take this small laptop on a
> trip but at this point it is unreliable.
> The laptop freezes. The screen is there but the mouse pointer frozen and
> the only button that works is the off switch.
> It seems to happen only when Firefox is running. I left it on all night
> with Thunderbird running and had no problems
> this morning. When I started using Firefox the problem came back. Once
> while searching a website in Firefox, once
> while trying to add a printer. Once while trying to print from Firefox.
> Each time required a restart.
> Other than being a little slow, 800mhz, it seems to be working fine
> until it locks up.
> I just installed Opera and have been using it for about an hour with no
> lockup but would prefer Firefox.
>
> Where do I start?
> Thanks,
> Bradley

Wipe out Firefox and reinstall it is what I'd try first. If the problem
persists, try an older version of FF. Could be one of your plugins.

--
Ourwoods.org
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was yesterday? - Bernard Lavander (227)