Old 04-27-2008, 06:08 PM
"James Cummings"

Default Upgrade to Hardy, can't raise/lower/mute volume

Hiya,

I've just upgraded one of my machines to Ubuntu 8.04 and something
seems to be wrong with the sound. Needless to say it was working fine
before, but now I get sound, but I'm unable to control it, i.e. I'm
unable to raise/lower or mute it. I.e. if I open volume control and
try to lower the volume bars they just jump back up to the top. This
is fairly important for this machine because it also acts as a mythtv
frontend.

The output of "alsamixer":

alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: No such file or directory

and "lsmod |grep snd":

~$ lsmod |grep snd
snd_hda_intel 344728 0
snd_pcm_oss 42144 0
snd_mixer_oss 17920 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 78596 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep 10500 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_seq_dummy 4868 0
snd_seq_oss 35584 0
snd_seq_midi 9376 0
snd_rawmidi 25760 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 8320 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 54224 6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
snd_timer 24836 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 9612 5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
snd 56996 11
snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,sn d_hwdep,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_ seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 8800 1 snd

And "$ lspci |grep Audio" is:

00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

and output of "$ aplay -l" is:
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC861 Analog [ALC861 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Just in case any of that helps.

Any suggestions appreciated!