Old 04-27-2008, 05:21 PM
R Kimber

Default 8.04 ssh irritation

After upgrading to 8.04 I find that when I try to establish, by ssh, a
terminal session on the server that holds my website, a window pops up
asking me to enter the password to unlock the private key.

Clicking 'Deny' then produces the password prompt I usually get from
the server, and I can proceed as normal.

How may I get rid of this unwanted 'unlock private key' window?
Thanks

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 04-27-2008, 09:31 PM
R Kimber

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 18:21:56 +0100
R Kimber wrote:

> After upgrading to 8.04 I find that when I try to establish, by ssh, a
> terminal session on the server that holds my website, a window pops up
> asking me to enter the password to unlock the private key.
>
> Clicking 'Deny' then produces the password prompt I usually get from
> the server, and I can proceed as normal.
>
> How may I get rid of this unwanted 'unlock private key' window?

I found the solution:

gconftool-2 --set -t bool /apps/gnome-keyring/daemon-components/ssh
false

It appears it's a bug. I hadn't expected that in a security app in an
LTS version.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 04-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 22:31 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> It appears it's a bug. I hadn't expected that in a security app in an
> LTS version.

I don't think it's a bug. IITC seahorse is now completely integrated
into Gnome and manages PGP and SSH keys by default:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seahorse_(software)

Old 04-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 23:40 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> IITC

IIRC

Old 04-27-2008, 10:25 PM
R Kimber

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:40:36 +0200
Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 22:31 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> > It appears it's a bug. I hadn't expected that in a security app in
> > an LTS version.
>
> I don't think it's a bug. IITC seahorse is now completely integrated
> into Gnome and manages PGP and SSH keys by default:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seahorse_(software)

Well there's
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/187127
which is where I got the fix.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 04-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 23:25 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> Well there's
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/187127
> which is where I got the fix.

Oh, I see. Yeah, that's an ugly one to release with