Old 04-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Alex Janssen

Default Keyboard shortcuts - key values to keys

Does anyone know where I can get a list of key to key values? Maybe a
key map. In the keyboard shortcuts dialog there are default values for
some items in hexadecimal. I'd like to know by what keys those values
are produced. Also, if I assign shortcut keys through gconf-editor, is
there somewhere I can look to make sure I don't try to assign a shortcut
that's already used?

Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
People who are late are often happier than those who have to wait for them. - Fortune Cookie (277)

Old 04-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 12:37 -0400, Alex Janssen wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get a list of key to key values? Maybe a
> key map. In the keyboard shortcuts dialog there are default values for
> some items in hexadecimal. I'd like to know by what keys those values
> are produced.

I would think that depends on the hardware, and that therefore there can
be no general map. I simply select one of the shortcut entries in the
keyboard shortcut dialog and press the keys one after the other. The
generated codes are then displayed in the list.

> Also, if I assign shortcut keys through gconf-editor, is
> there somewhere I can look to make sure I don't try to assign a shortcut
> that's already used?

Why not assign them in the ´╗┐keyboard shortcut dialog (trough selecting
and pressing as above)? It will warn you when assigning a shortccut that
is already used.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Alex Janssen

Mario Vukelic said the following on 04/27/2008 01:02 PM:
> I would think that depends on the hardware, and that therefore there can
> be no general map. I simply select one of the shortcut entries in the
> keyboard shortcut dialog and press the keys one after the other. The
> generated codes are then displayed in the list.

I would think that the basic 105 key set would produce the same codes on
any hardware.
> Why not assign them in the o;?keyboard shortcut dialog (trough selecting
> and pressing as above)? It will warn you when assigning a shortccut that
> is already used.

It won't let me assign a shortcut to openoffice calc, for example. The
only way to do that, so far as I can tell, is through gconf-editor, apps
metacity keybinding_commands and global_keybindings. I cannot add
my choice of app to the keyboard shortcuts dialog, that I can tell.

--
Ourwoods.org
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was yesterday? - Bernard Lavander (227)