Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 PM
"Tim M"

Default logging into network manager

After I hibernate 7.10 I have to log in twice. The second login is for
network manager. Is there a way to keep from having to log in network
manager? (I am using a wireless network card) I have to be careful not
to try to check mail, and hope it isn't checked automatically from one
of my online email programs. If Firefox tries to connect before I
logon it will stop trying to connect and the only way I have found to
get it connected again is to restart the computer.

Tim

Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 PM
David Vincent

Tim M wrote:
> After I hibernate 7.10 I have to log in twice. The second login is for
> network manager. Is there a way to keep from having to log in network
> manager? (I am using a wireless network card) I have to be careful not
> to try to check mail, and hope it isn't checked automatically from one
> of my online email programs. If Firefox tries to connect before I
> logon it will stop trying to connect and the only way I have found to
> get it connected again is to restart the computer.

hit alt-f2. type in gconf-editor and press enter. navigate to
/apps/gnome-power-manager/lock. untick whatever options you want to
ensure that when you hibernate/suspend/blank your screen etc. the
keyring manager won't lock itself.

-d

Old 11-28-2007, 10:49 PM
David Vincent

Tim M wrote:
> After I hibernate 7.10 I have to log in twice. The second login is for
> network manager. Is there a way to keep from having to log in network
> manager? (I am using a wireless network card) I have to be careful not
> to try to check mail, and hope it isn't checked automatically from one
> of my online email programs. If Firefox tries to connect before I
> logon it will stop trying to connect and the only way I have found to
> get it connected again is to restart the computer.

on another note, this was a real problem for me under Feisty. if you
poke around you will find lots of how-to's out there on patching things
to make gnome-keyring-manager not ask for passwords at annoying times.
when i did this for Gutsy i found nothing.

then i noticed that on machines which have had Gutsy freshly installed
on them rather than being upgraded from Feisty, if your login password
is the same as your keyring password and you actually login (ie. don't
use autologin) then you aren't prompted for that second
unlock-the-keyring-so-network-manager-can-connect password.

that was the basic strategy of all the hacks i saw, i assume the
developers adopted some of that for Gutsy - anyone know for sure?

so that's what i've done. a fresh install of Gutsy on the affected
machines and some tinkering in gconf-editor to make sure the keyring
doesn't lock itself when i don't want it to.

secure? probably not. convenient? hell yes.

-d

Old 11-29-2007, 02:03 AM
"Tim M"

On 11/28/07, David Vincent <dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:
> Tim M wrote:
> > After I hibernate 7.10 I have to log in twice. The second login is for
> > network manager. Is there a way to keep from having to log in network
> > manager? (I am using a wireless network card) I have to be careful not
> > to try to check mail, and hope it isn't checked automatically from one
> > of my online email programs. If Firefox tries to connect before I
> > logon it will stop trying to connect and the only way I have found to
> > get it connected again is to restart the computer.
>
> hit alt-f2. type in gconf-editor and press enter. navigate to
> /apps/gnome-power-manager/lock. untick whatever options you want to
> ensure that when you hibernate/suspend/blank your screen etc. the
> keyring manager won't lock itself.
>

> -d

Thanks for the info. So far I haven't got it working. I am going to
give it up for the evening. I have had to restart a half dozen times.
Even with all the items unchecked it is iffy that network manager will
connect. The last time I woke the system up it wouldn't connect. I
could see my AP and could click on it but nothing happened. The entire
time the CPU was maxed out. I gave it about five minutes to do
whatever it was doing but one thing it never did was connect. I will
keep working on it.

Tim