Old 04-27-2008, 08:40 AM
"Haneef Bashir"

Default upgraded to Hardy now java doesn't work: SOLVED

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 9:51 AM, John L Fjellstad <john-ubuntu@fjellstad.org> wrote:

"Haneef Bashir" <darkfena313@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,

> I had Xububtu Gutsy installed on my system and java was working fine (i use

> java to edit my website). when i upgraded to Hardy java stoppd working

> Firrst i thought that there might be a problem with the new firefox 3 so i

> tried so tried to launch my webpage editing tools for my site using

> Epiphany, only to get an error saying that java doesn't seem to be

> installed. i went to the Ubuntu website to see if this bug was reported and

> if there was a simple fix, but because of my inexperience with computers and

> linux jargon i as able to get anywhere. can someone help?

> thanks in advance.

Check if icedtea-gcjwebplugin is installed. *For some reason

[kx]ubuntu-restricted-extras pulls this package in and replaces the sun

java package. *You can remove this package (icedtea-gcjwebplugin), then

sun java will work, or you can run update-java-alternatives to set sun

java to be the preferred java package.

thanks John your advise did the trick, icedtea-gcjwebplugin was installed so after uninstalling it everything worked fine.

--

John L. Fjellstad

web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ * * * * *Quis custodiet ipsos custodes