Old 04-27-2008, 06:21 AM
"Verde Denim"

Default network-manager

after running the system updates this morning, I happened to notice that netowrk-manager shows "no network connections", but ifconfig shows all connections up, and since I'm sending this to the list from my Gutsy box, it is up.

I've been looking to see if this is a feature, but haven't found anything yet. Anyone else getting this? I wouldn't mind too much, except that my vpn connections for work are buried in there and I need them to connect to my office... Thanks for any replies...

Jack

Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Verde Denim

Hi, all
I'm running 10.04.1 lts on a samsung netbook. With the last couple of updates, it seems that network-manager isn't cooperating.
I made the suggestions here - http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix-network-manager-disabled-problem-in-ubuntu-10-04-lucid.html

but this didn't have any affect, other than to show the network-manager icon on the top status bar. However, it indicates that the wired network device is not connected.

The workaround for the moment (at least for me) seems to be -

1. stop the network-manager
2. edit the /etc/network/interfaces file with whatever you'd like eth0 to be (dhcp or static) - below is my version

***** auto eth0
*****
iface eth0 inet static
*****
address www.xxx.yyy.zzz
*****
network www.xxx.0.0
*****
netmask 255.255.255.0
*****
broadcast www.xxx.yyy.255
*****
gateway www.xxx.yyy.1

3. restart the network with /etc/init.d/networking restart

The icon in the status bar may still be present, but it isn't controlling the net interface any longer, and the network connection now works.

Lots of confusion on the web about this, so i thought i'd throw this old-style resolution out there.

Regards

Jack