Old 04-27-2008, 03:45 AM
Harold Hartley

Default webcam and skype

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get them to work on ubuntu 8.04...
I remember reading something about webcam app in linux, but not sure
where it was I read about it..
Please let me know if anyone has been able to get skype working with the
webcam.

Thanks
Harold

Old 04-27-2008, 04:14 AM
Pastor JW

On Saturday 26 April 2008 08:45:59 pm Harold Hartley wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get them to work on ubuntu 8.04...
> I remember reading something about webcam app in linux, but not sure
> where it was I read about it..
> Please let me know if anyone has been able to get skype working with the
> webcam.

Yes, mine works alright. Skype version 2.0.0.68 and the webcam is the built
in one in the Dell Inspiron 1525n which came with 7.10 pre-installed. I
updated to 8.04 the day of the official release.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 04-27-2008, 04:39 AM
Harold Hartley

Pastor JW wrote:
> On Saturday 26 April 2008 08:45:59 pm Harold Hartley wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get them to work on ubuntu 8.04...
>> I remember reading something about webcam app in linux, but not sure
>> where it was I read about it..
>> Please let me know if anyone has been able to get skype working with the
>> webcam.
>>

> Yes, mine works alright. Skype version 2.0.0.68 and the webcam is the built
> in one in the Dell Inspiron 1525n which came with 7.10 pre-installed. I
> updated to 8.04 the day of the official release.

I did download the newest version and found it works great with my usb
webcam on my Dell Latitude D800 laptop.
I am running my ubuntu inside of my windows laptop and it works great
and I can spent most of my time on my linux where ever and when ever.

Harold

Old 04-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Jim Smith

Harold Hartley wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get them to work on ubuntu 8.04...
> I remember reading something about webcam app in linux, but not sure
> where it was I read about it..
> Please let me know if anyone has been able to get skype working with the
> webcam.
>
> Thanks
> Harold

Just tried it and mine worked. Built in cam on Sony laptop.
Running Hardy, all up to date.

YMMV

Jim

Old 04-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Karl Larsen

Harold Hartley wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get them to work on ubuntu 8.04...
> I remember reading something about webcam app in linux, but not sure
> where it was I read about it..
> Please let me know if anyone has been able to get skype working with the
> webcam.
>
> Thanks
> Harold

I have not tried Skype on the new Ubuntu but it works fine in 7.10
and I bought a newer webcam and it works with Skype but not well. The
camera image dies about a minute or 2 after starting. Not sure why. And
I fixed it once, but did not remember how :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/4/27 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:
> I have not tried Skype on the new Ubuntu but it works fine in 7.10
> and I bought a newer webcam and it works with Skype but not well. The
> camera image dies about a minute or 2 after starting. Not sure why. And
> I fixed it once, but did not remember how :-)
>
> Karl

Which camera did you buy? Did you contact the manufacturer and let
them know that you need their product supported under Ubuntu or Linux
in general? If we don't write to the manufacturers, then they will not
know that we need their products.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 08:16:23 Karl Larsen wrote:

> I have not tried Skype on the new Ubuntu but it works fine in 7.10
> and I bought a newer webcam and it works with Skype but not well. The
> camera image dies about a minute or 2 after starting. Not sure why. And
> I fixed it once, but did not remember how :-)

Is this the same camera you told everyone in the list to buy, on at least
five different times, and on several not necessarily related threads?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Karl Larsen

Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> On Sun 27 Apr 2008 08:16:23 Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> I have not tried Skype on the new Ubuntu but it works fine in 7.10
>> and I bought a newer webcam and it works with Skype but not well. The
>> camera image dies about a minute or 2 after starting. Not sure why. And
>> I fixed it once, but did not remember how :-)
>>

> Is this the same camera you told everyone in the list to buy, on at least
> five different times, and on several not necessarily related threads?

No.
Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 02-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Adel ESSAFI

Hi,

There is a tutorial, but it is for fedora

http://ilovefedora.blogspot.com/

Regards

2008/5/5 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>

Felipe Figueiredo wrote:

> On Sun 27 Apr 2008 08:16:23 Karl Larsen wrote:

>> * * I have not tried Skype on the new Ubuntu but it works fine in 7.10

>> and I bought a newer webcam and it works with Skype but not well. The

>> camera image dies about a minute or 2 after starting. Not sure why. And

>> I fixed it once, but did not remember how :-)

> Is this the same camera you told everyone in the list to buy, on at least

> five different times, and on several not necessarily related threads?

* * * No.

Karl

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI

* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.

* PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

PhD candidate in Computer Science
Address * * *
BP 108, Bureau de poste Tunis republique
1001 Tunis
Tunisia
tel: +216 97 246 706
fax: +216 71 391 166