Old 04-27-2008, 03:02 AM

Default lamer question display installed pkgs

Its been a good while since I used apt-get and apt-cache. I once, yrs
ago ran debian for a while.

I can't remember how to get a list of installed pkgs.
After browsing both man apt-get and apt-cache... I still didn't see a
switch that shows installed pkgs.

There is always `ls /var/cache/apt/archives|less' but I thought I once
knew an apt [something] command to show installed pkgs.

It appeared in a kind of roster with other pkg information too, as I
recall but it has been years ago so may have been something besides
the apt tools.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 22:02 -0500, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> Its been a good while since I used apt-get and apt-cache. I once, yrs
> ago ran debian for a while.
>
> I can't remember how to get a list of installed pkgs.
> After browsing both man apt-get and apt-cache... I still didn't see a
> switch that shows installed pkgs.

Package lists aren't produced by the apt family of tools, but by dpkg.
Try the following:

dpkg -l

Tim

Old 04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Larry Shields

reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> Its been a good while since I used apt-get and apt-cache. I once, yrs
> ago ran debian for a while.
>
> I can't remember how to get a list of installed pkgs.
> After browsing both man apt-get and apt-cache... I still didn't see a
> switch that shows installed pkgs.
>
> There is always `ls /var/cache/apt/archives|less' but I thought I once
> knew an apt [something] command to show installed pkgs.
>
> It appeared in a kind of roster with other pkg information too, as I
> recall but it has been years ago so may have been something besides
> the apt tools.

Try dpkg -l will then show you whats installed...

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 8.04 Hardy Heron

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 04-27-2008, 10:17 PM
James Gray

reader@newsguy.com wrote:

Its been a good while since I used apt-get and apt-cache. I once, yrs
ago ran debian for a while.

I can't remember how to get a list of installed pkgs.
After browsing both man apt-get and apt-cache... I still didn't see a

switch that shows installed pkgs.

In addition to Tim and Larry's comments, you can search for a specific
package using familiar shell globbing as long as you enclose the glob in
single quotes, or escaping them (to avoid the shell interpretting them).
For example, to find packages names with "ssh" in them:

dpkg -l '*ssh*'

Another great command is finding out which package a file came from (you
need the full path...that's a common gotcha!):

dpkg -S /full/path/to/file

Have fun

Cheers,

James

Old 04-28-2008, 01:03 PM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

>It appeared in a kind of roster with other pkg information too, as I
recall but it has been years ago so may have been something besides
the apt tools.

See http://wiki.debian.org/Packaging/Listing_Installed_Packages

( I also like http://offline.debian.net for offline downloading of not-downloaded packages).

Regards.